matchless clubman 35

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blues junkie, Jun 12, 2005.

1. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

Played a Matchless Clubman 35 with matching 112 cab it was made in 2002.I used my ASAT Super and man did it sing.I am considering buying it.Just wondering are these good amps?And how do they compare to DR.Z,Carr and other botique amps?Ihad a TWO-ROCK Custom but had to sell it do to taxes.:( I never really felt comfortable with the Two-Rock.So any opinions on the Clubman would be great.My musical tastes are blues(peter green,gary moore and robin ford)
    thanks.

2. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

The Clubman is Matchless' "sleeper" amp if you will. Matchless is known for the C-series amps but many people swear by the Clubman. Big and Bold, tighter bottom and some say, Hiwatt inspired.

It runs the output tubes hot so you'll swap them out a little sooner than you're used to.

A very nice rig.

:cool:

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Clubman is a great amp!!

I miss mine 2 years later. Grab it if you can.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Early Matchless IS the definition of boutique! :)

If it sounds good to you, then it IS good!

I'd snap it up, if I were you.

5. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

if you search on the clubman you can find a bunch of detail on this board. a level of detail you wish you could for get (discussions about the design differences o they had in the first ocuple of years, blah blah)

i love the clubman. one of the best amps i've ever had. personally i prefer it to the chieftain or the hc-30.

having tried it with the variations of cabs, i really prefer it with 2x12 - closely followed by 2x10s & then the single 12. but it's all up to you...

/i

6. Colt

Colt Member

If you're already thinking abotu it, do it, do it, do it. I loved mine.

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

One of my alltime favorite amps and one I will again get someday. I flat out am a Clubman fan, though I love the C30 series, the Clubman is the Matchless for my tastes. Steely and aggressive enough to punch you in the face while at the same time coat your ears with honey. :D

BluLu likes this.
  8. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Super amp.even great with pedals-if needed...My favorite Matchless amp.....i had a 93 clubman>>> missed!!!!;)

9. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I played one a couple of months ago. Fantastic amp. I'm gonna buy one before the end of the year.

10. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I owned a mid 90's one in shower curtin black for many years. I am very sorry to have sold it and would definately buy one again. Great overdriven and clean sounds. Very easy to get good sounds with little knob tweeking.

11. dave s

dave s Member

Your ears weren't fooling you. These amps are the real deal. The best compliment I can give my Clubman is it's still brings a smile to my face every time I fire it up. Wonderful sounding amp.

dave

12. Blueser

Blueser Member

I find it hysterical, that everyone that gave it a ringing endorsement no longer owns the amp! I have done this myself with amps. We are truly a sick bunch!

Sandman85 likes this.
  13. dave s

dave s Member

The Clubman rig goes to each and every gig I play. It's still my #1 rig. And as quickly as we all seem to go through amps, the Clubman appears (note the word choice) to be long-term keeper for me.

dave

14. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

i still have mine (although my /13 rsa23 is a little more of the sound i want right now.

/i

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Well, I owned it for 6 years and Dave has owned it since, his Clubman rig was my Clubman rig.

16. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Hey, I'd still give a ringing endorsement to a couple of the gals I "dated" prior to meeting my wife!

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

I have a homebrew amp based on the Clubman, it is a very special amp that I love. The Clubman is a unique design, not quite anything else like it that I know of. Matchless was definately not copying anyone else when they made these.

18. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

I can chime in and agree with all the posts here! I love the Clubman. It is amazing the different tones you can get through it with a little tweaking between the volume and the master. It is a fairly loud son of a gun at its sweet spot though and for that reason along with the opportunity to run an A/B pedal I chose the HC30 Matchless option. But - with some of the deals I have seen lately on Clubman heads and head/ cab combinations it is a great time to pick one up!

Go for it!

Regards
    TD

19. fetuspetus

fetuspetus Member

The clubman is the best amp I have owned, hands down. I will probably never part with this. I only lust after amps I can't readily play now... such as old oranges and voxes. . . but in general I don't think I can be happier... It has all the sound I want at just the right volume I want. I just wish i had working tubes so I didn't have to borrow a jcm 2000 marshall for a weekend show this week.... boo!

Ben

20. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

:dudeBORROW THE MARSHALL AND PULL THE THE TUBES!!!!

eMEE