• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

matchless clubman 35

meanmud

Meanmud, does your head roll around from the damage to your spine caused by carring a clubman around?
I do have problems trying to pick my head up off the ground when it falls off:eek:

Did you ever see the episode of the Young Ones when Vivian's head comes off?

Nolatone Ampworks

Platinum Supporting Member
I spent time with the Lightening and the Clubman 35 today. Seems like the cleans on the Lightening are tigher and punchier than the Clubman. In some odd way, I feel like the Lightening's cleans will work better for me.

I like the EQ on the Lightening better too. It's SO much more "interesting" what you can do with it.

I think I'm going with the Lightening!

meanmud

I spent time with the Lightening and the Clubman 35 today. Seems like the cleans on the Lightening are tigher and punchier than the Clubman. In some odd way, I feel like the Lightening's cleans will work better for me.

I like the EQ on the Lightening better too. It's SO much more "interesting" what you can do with it.

I think I'm going with the Lightening!
Awesome - Best of Luck:D

Boogie92801

You will be happy. The clubmans EQ has a more useable range to me but the presence knob seems very sensative.

I start both amps with the eq knobs at about noon and adjust up or down from there depending on the guitar and the room.

Oh and welcome to the matchless club.

I love matchless amps.

kush06

You will be happy. The clubmans EQ has a more useable range to me but the presence knob seems very sensative.

I start both amps with the eq knobs at about noon and adjust up or down from there depending on the guitar and the room.

Oh and welcome to the matchless club.

I love matchless amps.
Yup, the presence knob is pretty sensitive. The tubes in the amp make a HUGE difference on the EQ range as well. I'm not a huge fan of "active" EQ as I don't like spending alot of time finding my tones, but I'm still discovering new sounds in my Clubman, ever after 10 years. It's kind of cool, and kind of annoying at the same time, lol. Right now I tend to keep the treble and bass cranked for some additional gain, presence halfway, master dimed, and volume about 3/4 and it ROARS with my SG. Crunchy goodness :dude

meanmud

Yup, the presence knob is pretty sensitive. The tubes in the amp make a HUGE difference on the EQ range as well. I'm not a huge fan of "active" EQ as I don't like spending alot of time finding my tones, but I'm still discovering new sounds in my Clubman, ever after 10 years. It's kind of cool, and kind of annoying at the same time, lol. Right now I tend to keep the treble and bass cranked for some additional gain, presence halfway, master dimed, and volume about 3/4 and it ROARS with my SG. Crunchy goodness :dude
I EQ it very similarly:BEER

Boogie92801

What kind of tubes are you using with that type of EQ? If I did that It would be an ICE-PICK in the ear. I recently put in a set of winged Cs, a minwatt for the EF86, and a couple of EH12ax7s it sewems less loud and very bright... not necessarly bad but brighter than before when it had JJ's

meanmud

whatever the amp came with stock - I haven't even looked at them:crazy

Using Mullards for the EL34's.

kush06

What kind of tubes are you using with that type of EQ? If I did that It would be an ICE-PICK in the ear. I recently put in a set of winged Cs, a minwatt for the EF86, and a couple of EH12ax7s it sewems less loud and very bright... not necessarly bad but brighter than before when it had JJ's
It took alot of swapping before I got it to the point where there's no ice-pickiness at all. For me it was all about finding a great sounding EF86, which turned out to be a Svetlana. I tried many, including various NOS and they all sounded way too shrill in this amp. The EH EF86 sounds ok. EL34's are either older Teslas or newer winged C's, and I really like Mullard reissue 12ax7's in the other 2 spots. Sounds alot like this (minus the skill when I play :roll)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AoTi-OI_NXI&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TECExmCjX7o

goodtone

Eric Clapton's Latest Crossroad's Festival from Chicago was just on TV not to long ago. There was a whole slew of great guitar players on stage . One of the cats whose tone I really liked the most on that show was Jimmy Vaughn's who is a longtime Matchless Clubman user. I saw Robert Cray use two Clubman's and he sounded great ! Gotta check one out.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom