Matchless Clubman EL34 Choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hdahs143, Feb 15, 2009.

1. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

Just wanted to get a feel for what owners are using. I've had my Clubman for about 6 months, and it's definitely time for a tube swap. I've heard these amps eat EL34's and apparently that's true. NOS is out of the question if I'm going to replace them a couple of times per year.

It came with JJ's, and will have a set of Ruby EL34BSTR's next week. I like Winged C tubes, but they are the priciest of the New Production tubes.

What are you using?

2. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I don`t have Matchless, but I `m have been using TAD EL-34`s w/ great results in my Heriatge Colonial head!

3. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I would strongly suggest the Ruby EL34BHT. Great tone and made to withstand high plate voltages...and oh yeah...really affordable as well.

4. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Just thought I'd say, you have great taste in amps. Had one. Wish I could afford to have another.

Tom

5. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

=C= has a reputation for being able to stand up to the high plate voltage of the Clubman and other Matchless EL34 amps. I likes them in mine (95 Clubman, non-reverb).

6. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Yup, Svetlana Winged Cs for me - they actually last longer than most EL-34s. Sound better too!

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    SEDs. They're likely to take the abuse these amps dish out better than some of the others. Great tone too.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

These amps don't have high plates voltages. High current, over tube design specifications is where they reside.

A great thing you can do to help keep the amp running cooler is replace the 270 ohm 10 watt resistors with a high value. I switched mine over to 330 ohm and the tone still sounds great and the tubes run far cooler.

For tubes I have good success with the GT EL34M. The winged C also sounds great. The JJ KT77 crapped out in two months so I cannot recommend those.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Excellent advice! I don't know why amp "designers" violate the max specs of the tubes they use. They wouldn't do that with resistors or capacitors which cost a fraction of what tubes do.

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've currently got a pair of NOS Tesla EL34s in my Clubman - sound amazing, and much better than the new production stuff. I've got a set of Siemens waiting after the Tesla's wear out. For new production stuff - I agree with the SEDs myself. I have used a set of the Chinese EL34BSTRs - they sounded good. But, in general, I like NOS stuff in my Matchless amps.

11. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Member

I like the Winged Cs best in my Clubman. Tight bottom, complex mids, and very nice high end detail. Overall, it's a very balanced and tough tube. JJ's sound ok.

12. Carli28

Carli28 Member

I replaced my EL34 in my Clubman this summer with some TADs. I have not replaced any of the other tubes. (It's been running for little over a year now).
    I am tempted to try those winged C EL34's but am i better off with replacing the preamp tubes?

13. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. As an amp tech, I've retubed a bunch of amps with winged c's, and have found them to be very reliable. Soundwise I don't get to spend a lot of time with them, and the Clubman is my first EL34 amp, after years of 6L6, and EL84 Dr Z amps. It's nice to hear that they sound good over the long haul, in addition to the reliability factor.

Harry,

Did you swap the cathode resistor while the amp was under warranty, and if so did it void it? How much current are these tubes drawing in this amp? 35 watts seems a bit conservative.

14. Guinness Lad

I never checked but I believe if you check the math 400 to 450 volts plate (app) 270 ohm resistor...you get somewhere around 70 to 80+ ma if I remember correctly, I'm sleeping so I don't feel like doing any math now. Ask Phil, he'll set you straight.

15. lukeII

lukeII Member

Would the same tube choices also apply well for the Chieftain?

Additional question: Do you have to rebias the Chieftain or the Clubman when you change the power tubes? I haven't found any info on this on Matchless site?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  16. Guinness Lad

No, the amps are self biasing. I would ask for cooler running tubes though.

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Why would 35 watts be conservative for tubes that are rated for 30 watts max?

Maybe you'd like to volunteer to offer a warranty on abused tubes. :D

18. Guinness Lad

Hey Mike,

Do you know what the plans are for Groove Tubes? I might have to get a couple sets of EL34M's from you in a month or so, I think you sell them.

Harry

19. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Fender has taken over GT and it's business as usual. EL34Ms are in stock.

20. Guinness Lad

Cool, after a couple more gigs, I'll be sending you an email.