Matchless Clubman - It's a Love Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blues junkie, Jul 1, 2008.

1. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

Who else thinks the Clubman is just a great amp? Also is there some type of mystique surrounding Matchless amps? Everytime a Matchless amp comes up in a conversation ( usually the Clubman) there spoken with such admiration. you never see to many threads on these amps and you hardly see any for sale. Also for those who own a Clubman what do you like about it most? What guitars do you like with it & what type of music do you think it's best suited for. All you Clubman owners chime in & Matchless owners in general.:dude

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Sorry for the delay, here's a couple thoughts.

Pluses - cheap for a Matchless product, great build quality, has it's own thing going soundwise. Even though I don't use the master it actually can sound really good with the pre-amp cranked. Incredible touch responsiveness and notes just seem to bloom. Lots of harmonic complexity, but never seems to get harsh unless you crank the brilliance control. Interactive tone controls allow for some variability. Loud enough for most anything and really cuts through even when there is some gain in the signal.

Negatives - Kills tubes pretty quick, I wish the pre-gain came on a little later. If I turn the pre-gain any higher then 10 o'clock it starts getting too gainy for real clean playing. As the amp gets louder it gets a little too thick for my tastes, I can live with it but I wish it didn't thicken up so much. The bass and treble controls add gain so couple this with th epre-gain and it can get reall dirty if your not careful.

I play in a disco/r&b band and a original blues band and as a amplification platform I do not sem to be suffering at all. Any guitar I have sounds great through it (tele, strat, Hamer Newport and Hamer Jr), I even had the harmonica player use it last week; it killed as a harp amp believe it or not.

I use Warehouse Speaker Veteran 30 speakers in a 1x12 and 2x12 Avatar cabinet. It takes well to pedals but I did have to select a favorite or two to use with it. For pedals I really dig the original fulldrive being juiced by a TIM pedal, what an awesome combo for fat, juicy sustained leads.

That's about it I guess.

3. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Awesome and unique sounding amp. I absolutely LOVE mine.

4. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

I owned one about 3 years ago for a total of 3 months (had to sell it to pay the IRS :puh ) but I did gig with it every weekend for about 2 months and what I remember most of all was how well it cut through the mix. The other was that in your face crystal like tone.That also was the only amp that ever impressed the bass player that was in the band,and there were alot of great amps being played between me and the other guitarist(K&M Custom, Two-Rock LTD, Demeter TGA3,Univalve, Victorialux,Bassmen LTD & a Blackface Super Reverb). Out of all those amps he only commented on how great the Clubman sounded & when was I going to get another one? Man I miss that amp.

5. radium

radium Member

I had one too. Great amp... miss it at times.

6. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Here's some of what I love about my Clubman:
    - Terrific clean
    - Takes pedals very well, the best of any amp I've had
    - Brings out the differences in every guitar, some amps make every guitar sound like the amp, but the Clubman shows every nuance of the pickups
    - Doesn't NEED reverb!

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

The Clubman is hands down one of my favorite amps out there - and favorite Matchless amps. Awesome cleans but, I really like it for it's dirty tones. Kinda Plexi like with that cool Vox like chime. Just an awesome tone machine!

8. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Can this amp get into higher gain territory on its own (no pedals)?