Matchless Clubman Settings (Share)

Guinness Lad

Where did you get the #34, How did you determine the bias range?
You ask Bob Pleka to sell you cooler running tubes, tell him you want #34s or there abouts.

The bias of this amp is roughly, 400VDC with a 270 ohm bias resistor. From what Phil told me the number 65 to 80ma seems too stick. This is so far over tube spec it ain't even funny. I changed my bias resistors to a 330 ohm value to save the tubes a bit...the amp still sounds great but probably saves the tubes.

Guinness Lad

Harry, Have you ever tried the JJEL34L's
The amp had them in it when I got it but I think they were shot. Since then I have used, JJ-KT77's, SED winged C's and GT-EL34M's. I also have some Shugnangs but haven't tried them yet. I like the GT's and the SED's the best so far. The KT77's were good but they only lasted 2 months so my initial love has been tempered due to durability issues.

One tube vender suggested either the GT's or JJEL34L tubes because they have heavier materials inside then some of the other tubes. This is suppossed to help with the heat the tubes generate.

lukeII

anybody know where I can hear clips of this amp without pedals (just straight into the amp) have been searching and only found one on youtube but the guy is using and Fd2 and delay.

koss59

Yeh thanks man, I love all those bands and the clubman is the best amp for that stuff that I've found yet!

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
Mine is a clone but it uses Matchless transformers (actually a DC30 OT and what I believe is a Clubman / Chieftain PT).

I think the sweet spot on the amp is Master Volume all the way up, and dial the rest to taste!! Honestly, it sounds anemic and buzzy to me unless you get it cooking with volume. It seems to have a mid scoop unless the EL34s are working.

I really love the SED El34 as a tube for Marshalls, but in this amp I actually prefer the JJ E34L. More bottom which is nice.

The amp is very sensitive to the first 12AX7 slot and the EF86 slot. Lots of tonal variation to be found there swapping tubes.

I like to play mine with the Volume on 9:00 (with a Gibson); Treble/Bass/Brilliance at Noon: and Master all the way up. With a Fender you can turn the Volume up a bit more to compensate.

At this level it has a nice little glassy Hiwatt crunch with the guitar on 10, and cleans up nicely around 8. Very sensitive to picking dynamics, and a ton of sustain at any setting.

If you turn up the bass and treble, you are also adding gain to overdrive the EF86 at those frequencies, which is interesting. You are also cutting mids.

The Lo input sounds really nice with a Gibson as well. Loses very little signal, but seems to shift the top end shimmer lower (or higher?)

If you crank up the Volume to noon or 1:00 with the Master dimed, it gets REALLY Live at Leeds.

I have to say that I really love this amp.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
Yup - get the master volume up as high as you can - adjust the rest by ear depending on the guitar & tone you're going for. Use input #2 for exquisitely clean tones (w/buckers), play with the knobs - there's only 5!

Key is the EF86 - NOS Amperex Bugle Boy, Dario Miniwatt - both work wonders for mine. A NOS Mullard rectifier also makes things better.

sniffyduke

Very Cool, he told me the same. Also I heard that from an amp tech. They liked Shino's. But I ended up using a NOS GE Rec..

sniffyduke

Yup - get the master volume up as high as you can - adjust the rest by ear depending on the guitar & tone you're going for. Use input #2 for exquisitely clean tones (w/buckers), play with the knobs - there's only 5!

Key is the EF86 - NOS Amperex Bugle Boy, Dario Miniwatt - both work wonders for mine. A NOS Mullard rectifier also makes things better.

I'll pick up a NOS Mullard Rec. Question on the EF86. I have a Genelex GEC
EF86. Does that sound as good as the Dario Miniwatt?

Guinness Lad

I'll pick up a NOS Mullard Rec. Question on the EF86. I have a Genelex GEC
EF86. Does that sound as good as the Dario Miniwatt?
Any tube is dependent on all the other stuff it's hooked up to, don't waste your money just enjoy the amp. I have 8 or 9 - EF86's, all of them are different and thay all sound great.

sniffyduke

Thanks Harry.

By the way, I have been tube rolling here for the last month. I must of purchaced 25 NOS 12AX7s LOL. I used everything from Telefunkens to Mullards.

You need to pick-up a couple Raytheon's from Mike at KCA. WOW
For $65.00 it blows away all the others. If your a Tele or Strat player you will love them.

If you don't pick one up soon, I'm going to run him out of stock LOL:p

Trending Topics