1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Matchless Clubman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blues junkie, Oct 16, 2005.

1. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

Just curious what distortion pedal goes good with the Clubman?I've been using a Fulldrive 2 and a Analogman modded TS-9.The TS-9 sounds better but still not great.I'm playing a ASAT Super and matchless 112 cab.I play mostly blues and blues/rock.I've like the way the amp sounds with the natural distortion.But I have to set the volume all the way up and the master at about 9:00 to get what I'm after but it does'nt clean up all that well.so any advice on pedals or amp settings would be great.One more thing Matchless+Tele sounds SOOOOOOOO good.

thanks.
    Chuck.

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

With my Matchless I used a FD2, TS9, Fat Boost, ZVex SHO, Fulltone 69, Fulltone 70, NVN Bronto Boost. The amp like most of them. It really seemed to like a good fuzz pedal.

I used my Clubman a lot different than you do. I never used the master, always left it at 10 and set the amp clean.

3. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I used an SD-1 and got great results. You can check out the tune "I'll Say Anything" at www.myspace.com/triggerfinger That's mainly Clubman with SD-1 for the rhythms.

4. dave s

dave s Member

Chuck,

all I can say is 'good luck!' I've been trying to match pedals to my Clubman for more than a year now. Have settled on a couple but still looking in some regard.

I think it was laroosco who said he runs his totally clean? Same way here. I run the master at 3:00 and the channel volume at like 9:00 to get a totally clean, glassy, vox-like-but-thicker tone from my amp, then use pedals for boost, OD, higher-gain and a fuzz pedal as well.

The pedals that are still on my board are: Foxrox ZIM with a T+ card for medium/high gain rhythm tone; Sunface Fuzz; ZVex SHO for clean boost.

Of all, the ZVex SHO might be one of the best for you, based on your post.

all the best,

dave

5. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

i have a new found fondness for my 80's rat and my clubman! would like to try an ocd.

6. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Never tried a distortion pedal, but for OD I used a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket & a Boss EQ-20 with mine & it soared into Plexi-ville!

Fat & smooth OD....

I used the EQ as a mid boost & then hit the OD for leads.

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Just listened to the song. That's GREAT! That Clubman is awesome. The song too!

8. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I used a Clubman for years, a fantastic amp with great clean and overdrive sounds. I used a FDII(early silver case), but found the amp was great by itself. Would love to try my OCD with a Clubman. A truely under appreciated amp.

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Nice track, how many guitar tracks?
    Very LP+Marshall sounding, the rhythm sound reminds me of old Kiss.

10. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I use a fulltone 69 and a keeley modded bd-2 with my clubman with great results. I run my volume between 9-11 w/the master around 7-8. It's loud, but it sounds so nice. a lot of times I will leave both od pedals on and just use my guitar volume to go from clean to scream (think old school rock). This amp kicks my @ss every time I play it.

11. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I kept it really simple. I think it's just a track (maybe two) of Clubman throughout...then I bring in a dark tone from a JMP 2203 in the choruses and bridge. The leads are Fulldrive through an old Superbass.

12. dave s

dave s Member

Interesting someone mentioned a RAT pedal. The ZIM pedal on my board is loaded with a T+ card that is supposedly based on the original RAT and the MXR Dist+ pedals.

Let me attest that the ZIM with T+ card is a VERY good match for the Clubman.

Other than the ZIM, I've used a couple of pedals that work well and just received another used pedal from a GP member that is supposed to be the perfect match for the Clubman.

Other pedals that work well:

Carl Martin Hot Drive n Boost: Boost side is great--plenty of db on tap for making louder and only adding a very slight amount of grit. OD side is pretty much Bad Co or Cars sounding. Ok, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

ZVex Super Hard On: GREAT boost that just completely fattens an already very 'large' sounding amp.

Just received, but haven't tried: Tech 21 Double Drive. This pedal has been verified as a very good OD/Dist match for the Clubman. As soon as I find a bit of time (and energy) to setup the rig, I'll give it a test drive and provide a review.

And don't get discouraged while going through a slew of pedals with your clubman rig. That amp doesn't like MOST pedals you throw at it. Let's just keep sharing info about which pedals work well with it!

dave

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

We're talking about a Matchless Clubman right??
    ;)
    My Clubman took pedals great!! Fuzz, OD's, Booosts. Much better than my Tweed and SF Bassman amps and almost as well as my Route 66

14. dave s

dave s Member

Some have told me that running my Clubman dead clean, (ch volume at 9:00 and master at 3:00) could be adding to the problems for me.

That's ok ... it's still a great sounding amp.

dave

15. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I would recommend checking out 1)a Pete Cornish SS2 or 2)a Keeley modded 808 resissue.
    Good Luck,
    Paul

16. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

i think the problem may lie in the application of the pedal rather than the amp (these are my feelings only). i dont love the sound of a tube screamer as primary distortion in any of my amps. i however have not found a pedal that will boost the leads of my amps (matchless- marshall-hiwatt) and cut through the mix and remain quite as musicial in a live situation. i said that to say this: for primary dirt give me a rat or the amp distortion from any of the above 3 amps. i dont use the ts9 that way but i love what it does for leads . the ts derived pedals i have tried to me are good boost pedals but i dont like their rythym sound.

i run my matchless about as clean as i can with a les paul and 'buckers about 9:00 on the volume and around midnight on the master. it is clean if i pick lightly and dirties up nicely as i strum harder i get good medium od . step on the rat if i want more dirt. and the ts9 for leads. the high end on the pedals is always turned down.

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

The thing about the Clubman (into the Matchless 2x12) is that there's a serious scoop in the mids. Big bottom, and that crystalline steely top.

Most distortion pedals - and especially the TS9 types - are voiced with a big mid sound that hits the Clubman where it doesn't live. So transparency is the key, I think.

DaveS and I have worked through this situation for a while. I've come closest to "happy" with the Carl Martin Hot Drive n Boost Mk II.

I like the TIM pedal into the Clubman a bit better than he does, but he gigs a lot and I would take his opinion seriously.

Other suggestions welcome ... good discussion here ...

Kiwi

18. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

i dont find the amp to have a big scoop in the mid- range at least not the way i think of scooped midrange ( i have been backstage at a slipknot concert and i swear the security was checking for midrange at the door).

james

19. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I should've bought the Clubman head (s) they had available locally for 1200.00 for YEARS, when noone would buy it.. There was a local shop that didn't advertise on the net, and it just sat there.. Damn, as I love those amps... BTW, I've seen Ian Moore in concert about 8 times , and every time other than 1 acoustic show I saw, he used the Clubman and NEVER EVER had any problem getting all kinds of tones from that amp! He always used a big pedalboard of lots of boutiquy stuff too.. lots of Fulltone. Anyway, there are certain amps that I choose for certain types of music ,and the Clubman would NOT be my mine amp for my coverbands or original bands but for many types it's a great amp. His music of course is very hard rock/blues /gospel/folk and his setup was perfect for his emotionally dynamic guitar style
    and that music! ERIC

20. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I have a live DVD recording of Ian in Austin in '96. The Clubman sounded amazing and he sang his ass off like usual.