1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Matchless DC30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hw2nw, Jun 6, 2006.

1. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

hey guys,

Anyone still rocking one? I've got the itch for a new EL84 friend. The DC30 has the chime and roar that I'm looking for, I think. It also has a rocking half power switch, defeatable master, and the two channels, all features I really like. To me, the fact that it's a benchmark amp of its era is another reason for me to own it.

I'd just love to hear some pros/cons of the amp. Unfortunately there are no dealers in the county, so I'll have to take a drive to play one. I own a Vox AC30CC and a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R, and the only effect I go nuts with is delay. For tonal purposes, I play a Gibson LP Standard, Fender Jazzmaster and Tele.

Thanks! :dude

2. e-z

e-z Member

I've still got mine. I considered selling it after I got my London but I haven't been able to let go of it yet.

The bass isn't super tight when you overdrive it and it's heavy. However, it sounds great with almost every guitar and records beautifully. It is plently loud even at half power. I don't use the effects loop but there is one for each channel.

3. gregc

gregc Member

Oh yea; classic goodness. I donno if I'll ever let mine go~
    They are very, very good.
    gregc

4. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

For the 90's it was my goto amp and then I rediscovered Vox and the new CC and HW really did what I wanted so the DC went bye bye.

Same comments as above about the bass flub and the overdrive does break completely apart at a certain point...but it has a certain sound that no other amp does - that Matchless crang if you will...not to mention the ground breaking click channel with ef86 preamp. Still, I am more partial to the badcat tremcat these days if I am going for something Sampson - less bright, more solid bass and a little less off the reigns...but even those for those tones the CC and HW more than satiate me...

5. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Bright heavy and loud

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

How much overlap did you find in the CC and the DC30?

7. drrube

drrube Member

I've got two DC-30's both in black..one new era...the other a '98. PM for prices and we can try to make it work. Out of all the Matchless toys I've had, the '98 DC-30 is the one at the house. Got lots of other Matchless toys you may find interesting as well.

cheers,
    Geoff

8. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Not much actually - after gigging the dc30 to death I realized I was just using it as a Vox substitute - the CC has tighter bass, less midrange girth (a sweeter less chewy midband) and less piercing highs. The DC30 is a chewy bright amp with big non defined bass. Once I got back into Vox I was home again. Still Matchless has that signature tone - that certain something in the highs that is like glasses shimmering on the verge of paper tearing but not in an unpleasant way - it is the definitive 90's amp - vintage in ethic but modern in reliability...everytime I gigged the dc30 besides a Vox I'd end up turning the dc30 off and just using the Vox until one day the dc30 was no more. All my bandmates agreeed I was better through the vox (at that time it was a 1991 ltd edition Vox). When the CC came along I was happy as a pig in dirt...it had what I was looking for. I still miss that ef86 dc30 click channel - it was a real neat tone...but frankly I could just pick up a little matchless nighthawk for those tones much cheaper than a dc30.

9. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I have an early DC-30, metal handle, real black leather, FX loop. Its pretty special. I don't know- I've been to the Tampa Tonefest twice now and played all of Nickcha's AC-30's and from what I understand his are the ultimate vintage collection, impeccable pristine rare all original examples. Should I be embarrased to say I prefer my early DC-30?
    In those days, Mark was 'the' service guy for AC-30s that needed resuccitation. Mark built the DC-30 to give guys something that had that sound nailed, but was roadworthy. I think in his own way he surpassed it.
    The only caveat is that I mostly use mine in the studio, and seldom need to crank it anywhere near the point where it would flub out in the low end. I find it to be very solid down there. It is the loudest 30w amp I have ever encountered. It LOVES a Klon in front of it, and was my go-to amp for nearly 8 years until I went tweed and dumble-ish (is that a word?)
    My only warning- better have roadies dude. That amp weighs more than a Boogie, and the SC-30 isn't much lighter.
    PS- many of my fellow gear buds that have played my amp tell me its the very best rhythm guitar amp they have ever heard.

10. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

No need to feel embarassed - loads of people prefer the dc30. In many ways I think one prefers what one heard 1st. I cut my teeth on ac30's so when I went to the dc30 I never quite felt home...it's all personal preference...

11. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Well let me know if you do. I may sale my Divided By 13 FTR37 and go for a DC30.

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

id buy that just for the cab!!! that blue color is awesome

13. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I owned a 93 DC 30 for about a year and 1/2. I sold it because the Bruno UG 30 just sounded so much better, at the same basic type of tones. I have a Vox CC now, and think it is a much better sounding amp than the Matchless as well. More chime, less flub, reverb, better cleans. Everything.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Nope.

I had a '94 and it was a SUPERB amp for pop/rock music!!! Grind and chime for days......a benchmark amp, IMO.

15. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Andrew, check your PM box for my response.

By the way. . .Everyone knows that the DC30 is based upon the AC30 (Triode channel) and AC15 (Pentode channel). It also comes with a Vintage 30 and Greenback. Has anyone here ever put a pair of Celestion Blues in their DC30? I'm wondering if it would sound more like an old JMI Vox with a pair of blues?

16. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Channel 1 (on the left) is based on the AC30 with a 12ax7, and Channel 2 (right) is based on the AC15 with an EF86?

Let me know if I have it backwards :D

17. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

because the filtering is so radically different than any JMI Vox the tone with blues is less than stellar. Even Sampson said when they were building the amps the best sounds they got were from the v30/greenback combo and that the blues sounded thin in the newly filtered context...they didn't reinvent the wheel but they tweaked it into a different sounding product for sure!

18. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

You've got it right!

19. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've had my c-30 since '93, never once had a problem with flubby bass, I've used it for everything from modern rock to classic country, may have something to do with it being a 4x10 combo...

20. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Any opinions on modern versus older DC30?

In the mid 90's I did a recording with a Sherwood Green Matchless DC30 (no FX loop) that belonged to a friend. It sounded stunning with every guitar I plugged into it-basically like a big HiFi Vox. It certainly had a strong top end but it was FAT and the bass was defined even wound up pretty loud with Les Pauls.

I don't know if it's just me but when I've listened to DC's lately they seem just a little more strident than my memory of the older one.

Memory can be faulty I know!