Matchless DC30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Daprofessor, May 14, 2018.

1. motokev

motokev Member

Uh, the Maz 18 sounds purty good. The BAD thing about Matchless, you have to crank the volume to get a good tone.

2. moidan

moidan Member

I don´t think so - you can get out absolut phenomenal clean tones / hairy cleans / on-the-edge-of-breakup-cleans at reasonable volumes

StuartMac likes this.
  3. Mejis

Mejis Member

It’s 11:45pm here on the West Coast and I just shut down my HC30... No angry neighbours or cops so far.

These amps do need to be cranked to do the mean, greasy lead tones they’re capable of, but clean to stellar edge of breakup is all there at very reasonable levels.

sickboy79 likes this.
  4. hitchcaster

hitchcaster Supporting Member

most i come across in the wild sound like ****.... but a properly running and then tubed up one sounds amazing and is hard to beat... if you can't turn it up tho, forget it ...

5. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Absolutely love mine. Extremely versatile

6. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

You misspelled "favorite."

7. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Your question borders on pointless. That an amp uses a certain type of tubes is a poor way to classify the amp. There are clean amps, dirty amps, high gain amps, tight amps, loose amps, saggy amps, fast amps, slow amps, and a zillion other ways to describe them. You wouldn't go onto a car forum and ask for recommendations of the best car with a V-6 and expect to get very useful answers. What is it you're looking for? If you just want justification to buy a Matchless, you don't need us. If you're actually looking for recommendations, you'd probably better provide more guidance.

8. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I owned an SC-30 which was a fantastic sounding amp. It could be loud but had a great tone no matter the volume. Whether SC, DC, or HD, these are at the top of the heap for EL-84 based amps.

9. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member

Based on all of the lore and/or hype, one is in my future. Possibly next month.

10. 6AM

6AM Member

I've owned both the UG30 and an HC30 and they're very different sounding amps. They're really not sonically similar.