Matchless Dirt Box

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGrooveking, Jul 4, 2006.

1. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I picked one up to go with the rest of my Matchless pedals. This pedal does produce an excellent distortion tone, it has two 12AX7's in it. Anyone else have some history with one of these?

[​IMG]

TheGrooveking

2. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

In terms of tone and circuitry, how is the Dirt Box different from the Hot Box?

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Isn't the Hot Box a modded Top Boost preamp, and the Dirt Box a JCM800?

4. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Without having that in writing from Mark Sampson I could not say 100%, but in terms of tone the generate you are probably correct. I have all of the Matchless pedals and dig the Dirt Box the best. Great warm tone machines, but the size is the only issue.

TheGrooveking

5. Medication

Medication Member

Very cool. Any samples?

6. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I had a Dirt Box a few years back. Man, it was one awesome pedal, with one exception. I noticed that the pedal never totally bypassed when it wasn't engaged. What I mean is, when I'd play clean (pedal in bypass mode), I could still hear, very faintly in the distance, the distorted sound of the pedal in the background. It drove me nuts.

So, I was out in L.A. and took it to the Matchless factory. They were very cool people there, and they swapped me for mine. They had a bunch of NOS Dirt Boxes on hand, so they gave me one of theirs in exchange for mine.

I got home from my trip and noticed that this new one had the same problem. I don't know if it was a flaw in the design or the manufacture or what, but I couldn't handle it. Shocking, too, because I love Mark Sampson stuff.

Anyway, I ended up selling it because I couldn't deal with the bypass problem that they both had. But man oh man, the tone of the pedal itself was freakin awesome!!! Just wish it had worked out better for me, as I'd still have it. Anybody else ever encounter this? Not trying to hijack your thread, just curious.

Best,

Doc :)

7. johnnySRZ

johnnySRZ Member

I had a hotbox a few years back that I played through a Vox AC50. Man... that was some SWEET tone. I guess based on the info above it was a good match (top boost preamp). Why the hell did I sell that rig... :(

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

I played through mine tonight at a very loud volume level and had no bleed through. But a easy cure is using a Keeley mini looper.

TheGrooveking

9. drrube

drrube Member

I've got a couple dirt boxes laying around if anyone has any interest. (what am I saying...? I have lots of Matchless pedals laying around :jo )

let me know,
    Geoff

10. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

What's your price??

11. drrube

drrube Member

$375 for DirtBox, HotBox, HotBox II, CoolBox, or VibroBox...

thanks,
    Geoff

12. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Whats a cool box?

13. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Very simple single 12AX7 tube boost pedal, just volume and tone controls.