Matchless HC30 Loop Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lgehrig4, Feb 20, 2015.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I received an HC30 in a trade a couple months ago and for the first time tonight I was going to try some delay with it. On the back right there are 2 input jacks until the word "effects", however the jacks aren't labelled "send" and "return". They are labelled "ch 1" and "ch 2".

Anyone know if in fact this is an effects loop and if so which are send and receive? I dont want just plug anything in without knowing for sure what these jacks are.

Thanks

2. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

Each preamp section has its own separate effects loop. The single jack for each channel is designed to be used with a Y-cable that has two mono cables joined at one stereo jack, one cable is for effects in, the other for effects out. Matchless will sell that cable to you. According to the manual, "Each jack is configured in a Ring, Tip, Sleeve manner similar to a recording studio console insert point. Each jack is of the normalizing type and contains the send and return information on a single ΒΌ“ stereo phone jack. The Tip is used for the send signal and the Ring is used for the return signal. The Sleeve is ground. The SEND signal is derived just after the channel volume control and the RETURN signal is inserted at the phase inverter, just before the Master volume control. A Stereo “Y cord” is required for loop operation. When the loop is not being used, the signal is “normalized” through the jack. The effects loop option is intended for use with guitar type foot pedals and semi-pro level rack type effects. It is not designed to drive effects units requiring high level signals (+4), as encountered in a professional recording studio."

3. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I am going to use the Fryette Power Station effects loop with my HC30.

4. racktifier

racktifier Member

I am considering getting a hc30 but it would potentially be tricky to setup my effects with the effects loop and so I'm thinking of asking matchless if they could build me one with the usual send and return.

Is there any particular benefit to the single input design?

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It's just a Y cable, no different than two seperate cables. Tape yours together, it's the same thing. The stem of the Y is a stereo plug.

6. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Wayne! I was actually checking out the manual before I posted and didn't see that because it's under the heading "options" and I was looking for loop or effects. That's what happens when you use your iPhone for research.

7. racktifier

racktifier Member

I am looking to use a hc30 in a 2 amp set up with wet effects running jn the loops of both amps. This would already require y cables to connect the effects loops of both amps to the input/output of the effects. i don't see how this could work if the effects loop of one of the amps is an insert point.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

9. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

It should just be a matter of choosing the right cabling (or using a breakout box). How are you planning using the preamps - for example, are you wanting to switch each of the 2 matchless preamps and a third (or third and fourth?) into any of the fx units, then route back to the two power sections in stereo?

10. racktifier

racktifier Member

http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/EG2 Manual.pdf

i was planning to literally copy the diagram on oage 14 of the effects gizmo manual!

the idea would be to feed the preamps of 2 amps into the same set of fx units and then back into the power sections of the respective amps. not sure whether i am explaining myself very clearly here but i suspect you are right that a breakout box might work.

11. rumbletone

So are you planning to treat each preamp as a separate loop, then whichever one is activated, it goes to the fx unit(s), then it's fed back only to the power section of the amp for which the preamp is selected? I think you then need a switcher to select which of the power amps the post-fx signal feeds.

Page 14 of the gizmo manual shows a one amp setup - i.e., you can choose between multiple loops, including amp preamps, but they all end up at the same power section - or am I looking at the correct page (the one labelled page 14, which is the 18th page of the pdf)?

Also keep in mind that a C30 has two different preamps already - so adding another single channel amp with loop would total 3 available preamps.

12. racktifier

racktifier Member

Sorry for being unclear earlier. Let me try again. The diagram from the effects gizmo manual I was referring to is as follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqtp1uuxmhzw10w/Page1.jpg?dl=0

You are absolutely correct that I am planning to run each preamp as a separate loop i.e. in the case of the hc30, both channels would have their own loop, and this would effectively allow me to switch or blend the channels via midi.

The problem is that I don't think this works with the standard hc30 as the diagram assumes that there are separate efx send and return connections. So if my thinking is correct, I would need an additional device connected to the hc30's effect loop. Not sure if I'm making sense here.

13. rumbletone

Ahh - that makes more sense - I was looking at a different diagram. Let me think about the cabling...

14. rumbletone

I believe it is possible, but would involve additional cabling - for example, breaking out the TRS at each TRS connection, then connecting the TS male breakouts to TS female for the other device, which could get messy. A better solution I think is to have a single breakout box with TRS jacks that plug into each of the matchless and RJM TRS jacks with non-insert cables (i.e., just simple TRS cables instead) and then do the routing in the box.

I'm thinking I may build such a box for my recently-acquired hc30 - if you'd like me to propose a wiring diagram for your set up let me know (and, if so, let me know what the other amp is, and also whether you want both C30 preamp channels available).

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the returns end up in the same place in the circuit, so you could use the switcher to switch the inputs and outputs to the effects unit, then just bring a single line back from the effects unit... Much easier, akin to a true bypass loop...

16. rumbletone

Thanks - that was what I was thinking/expecting - though looking at the schematic I'm not totally clear on how/why they feed the phase inverter stage the way they do, so I plan to try it just to ensure they sound the same. My plan is that each of the channel fx sends get a separate tap on the breakout (from the tip of each), but there be only one return, to the ring of either of the fx return jacks.

17. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Sorry to thread jack, but can you run the same effects into both loops on an HC30?

18. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

Only Mark Sampson!