Matchless Hotbox, who has one? Who likes it?

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
Building a new pedalboard and I came across this guy. I rmemeber over the years it being in and out of production but the tones I heard from a YouTube video are astounding to me right off the bat. Looks like a pedal you could only need one overdrive with possibly. Clean boost on one side overdrive on the other. I also want an "amp in a box" style pedal with my JA mcfly for when I want those style tones ( bogner blue being another option). Not a ton of info on these so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

GuitarToma

Platinum Supporting Member
There's not a lot of them out there. I have an original Hotbox, and they have a 2nd version.

The original is super ballsy. It's heavy saturated gain even at lower gain settings. I'd use it on my board all the time except that it weighs a ton, requires ventilation, and of course AC. The only thing I don't care for is the clean side which is a really bright to my ears. It's always on - you can't bypass the clean side unless you run it through a bypass looper.

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
Ahhhh, always on would definitely be a deal breaker for me probably... Even the second version this is the case? I've heard the newer version is a better all around pedal but I don't rmemeber reading why...

andersmv

There have been 3 versions of the hotbox, the newest one has a bypass. I still love the look of the first versions, that light up matchless logo will always do it for me.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
I had a Sampson era one that I gigged/rehearsed/recorded for many years. I ran it into a Spitfire or an SC30. Nothing else does what the Hotbox does. There were several keys for me:

1. Use ebtech humx on the hotbox to address ground loop issue
2. Use a Loop pedal to have bypass/ clean boost/ lead. The only drawback here is you have to do the mental calculus around what channel (boost or lead) you left the hotbox on, as there are no indicators. Nothing worse than hitting the looper thinking you're getting just a little extra on the clean boost and getting blown away by a soaring lead tone.
3. For the lead sound, set the treble and bass controls very low, about 9 oclock, and use a lot of volume knob to hit / compress the amp hard, and you get an absolutely amazing, midrange-heavy lead sound.

I currently use a Fulltone Soulbender to get somewhat in the same ballpark of making my lead guitar tone sound like it weighs 1000 pounds, but it's nowhere near as chewy and articulate as that hotbox.

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
Well this doesn't help fuel my gas! Haha! Pedal seems like slightly too much work for me unfortunately and my situation. Id love to have a matchless in a box pedal on my board though... Anyone actually compared the hot box to the two tone?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've got two of the original Sampson ones, one got lost and I bought another then found the first... Anyway, the thing I think is most cool about them is that they'll turn a Fender amp into a Matchless, sound wise. Sure, a true bypass looper is necessary to get back to the Fender sound, but still: $300~ and you've got a DC30 on the floor!

bo13bo

Two Tone is a Hot Box w true bypass, which is basically a Hot Box 3.

Don't get caught up in the hoopla around Sampson era they are still built like tanks and sound awesome.

Godspeed64

Don't get caught up in the hoopla around Sampson era they are still built like tanks and sound awesome.
But you gotta admire how they can butcher such a beautiful looking piece of art into the obscene big silver box it is today.

Trending Topics