Matchless Independence and BC Hot Cat 30R

Rock72

These two amps, in a way sharing some DNA, and both being EL34, how similar / disimmilar are they soundwise?

superbird

Silver Supporting Member
I own the Indy and have played the Hotcat many times. These were two amps that i researched before i bought the Indy. To me the Hotcat is grainy/fizzy and more raw than the Indy. Not bad, just different. If you want something that is smoother and has that Matchless chime i say the Indy. It has that marshall vibe but still retains the tone Matchless is know for. If you want more raw, high gain the Hotcat is the best choice. The cleans on both seemed close, i find the cleans on my Indy are really great.

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
That's pretty accurate. The Indy has a more rounded OD tone, too rounded for hard rock stuff so I sold it. Also the cleans, for a Matchless, weren't up to their usual standards, I don't think.

melvins

Silver Supporting Member
I've yet to try an Indy, but own a Hotcat. After a few easy power tube and preamp tube swaps (no need to bias) I've managed to get some very nice "rounded" tones that are more acceptable for classic rock from the original tube compliment, imop.

Great amp. A super cool thing about it is you can run an ABY pan pedal to both sides of the amp as a channel switcher, clean and dirty side, and blend it to how you see fit on the fly. SICK! Lots of options!

Would still like to try an independence tho, just to try one.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
I find the cleans on my Indy are really great.
I had one as well, but haven't played a Hot Cat. I thought the Indy would do great Led Zep, Black Crowes, AC/DC hard rock tones, and has a surprising amount of gain (I barely cracked either one). My favorite part was the clean channel, especially when pushed - would definitely hold its own with my BF Super; different, but equally as good. I missed the Matchless EL34 tone so I just picked up a Clubman.

FFTT

Upgrading the pre amp tubes in a Bad Cat does wonders for tone quality.

Upgrading speakers, even more.

FFTT

I'd like to see a Hot Cat 50R CS more readily available.

The 100R is just too much amp for smaller venues even though the tones
are spectacular.

Gearopenia

Silver Supporting Member
I have Indy. Never played the Hot Cat but was on the prowl for one when the Indy fell into my lap.
The clean channel is extraordinary.
The gain is great. I think u can usually make most amps growl though.
The Indy is nice because u could plug straight in and have perfect clean all the way to Marshall rock tone.

Last edited:

FFTT

I LIKE BIG BLOCKS

I do and I can not lie! :)

I really think I've finally found the correct speaker blend for this fine amp.

My friend John checks out the new speaker blend at a local club jam.

Last edited:

Gearopenia

Silver Supporting Member
I still say the Indy clean was meh.
The Indy clean channel is magical.
I am surprised to hear that.
I however, have only played mine and it has NOS tubes(siemens 34's and Mullard preamp)
I use a Klon and King of Tone.
But even Gtr into amp it is awesome To my ears.

What are youcomparing to?

Last edited:

dsimms

I've yet to try an Indy, but own a Hotcat. After a few easy power tube and preamp tube swaps (no need to bias) I've managed to get some very nice "rounded" tones that are more acceptable for classic rock from the original tube compliment, imop.

Great amp. A super cool thing about it is you can run an ABY pan pedal to both sides of the amp as a channel switcher, clean and dirty side, and blend it to how you see fit on the fly. SICK! Lots of options!

Would still like to try an independence tho, just to try one.
+1 on the ABY pan pedal. Which pre and power tubes do you like in yours?

melvins

Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the ABY pan pedal. Which pre and power tubes do you like in yours?

So far i've found that I like -
V1 - Mullard RI
V2 - 12AU7
and the rest Ei's for the preamp section.

Power tubes i'm really digging are the JJ's KT77's.

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Agreed. Disappointing compared to my DC30 and the multiple Clubmans I've owned.
I don't really dig the Hot Cat's gain channel, but dig it's clean side a bunch. Pushed it has an awesome OD.

I still say the Indy clean was meh.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I had a hotcat 30 for a year and the clean channel would get to dirty when you turned it up. I was playing outdoor festivals at the time. You also had to really mess with the od channel to get it smooth

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
Tag did a hot cat clip a while back going for smooth dumble tone. I thought it was great. A little wool on the notes, but a good wool.

Trending Topics