Matchless Independence - First Rehearsal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pb-272, Feb 5, 2020.

1. pb-272

pb-272 Member

Up until now I've been tweaking my new Matchless Independence at home. Last night was my first rehearsal at more or less gig volume.

First thing to mention is I engaged master volume, and got great tone, plenty loud enough, and lots of dirt. I used the Helix for channel switching and effects. I had an LA Studio Compressor and Minator(Klon) upfront for most of the rehearsal. This added a gain stage gave the Indy a bit more "tightness" and saturation without losing too much in the way of dynamics/harmonics etc -ie. reasonably transparent. I had the klon tone at about 2.5, gain at 5.

People have described Matchless amps as bright. With the settings above, and amp bass at 1 o'clock and treble at 1 o'clock, the amp's character was very warm (Amp gain on white at 1 o'clock, red channel dimed). The PRS 594 had sounded better at home alone, but in a band mix the Les Paul 60th anniversary R9 added the brightness required in a band mix.

The amp response in a band mix to changes in guitar volume and tone controls was dramatic - in a good way. I found myself using dirt channels more and more for clean sounds by rolling off. The rhythm sounds were incredible. This thing has an immense amount of low end and it filled the studio with smooth grunt via the Matchless ESS112 cab.

I had a smile on my face all night, the amp is just next level. I didn't quite get the lead tone right, it was a bit warm for me. I'ved added a helix EQ block this morning and boosted the mids on the lead, and turned on the 'bright' switch on the Helix EQ booster (kinky boost). It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

I've previously gigged a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, a Mk 5, two Mk 2s, a Hughes & Kettner GM 40, Helix, Katana, Fender Supersonic 22, and Orange TH30. The Matchless is next level.

Most interesting observation of all - I played "less" - the extra dynamics and response of this amp changed the way I played. The other guitarist in the band (Friedman Dirty Shirley) made the observation as well, it's actually improved my playing...

I will post some vids once I gig the amp. So far so good!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

do black...

aengina, RAG7890 and eigentone like this.
  3. pb-272

pb-272 Member

Ok, I posted with white, fixed now I hope!!!

4. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

My Indy is my desert island amp. Have received so many compliments at shows. It’s truly a magical amp.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

HUGE Matchless fan. I really need to try an Indy. Great observations.

6. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

No question that when you get it dialed in, you’re playing a Matchless amp as much as the guitar and reacting to what it gives back to you. This is what makes it a next level experience in my mind.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Thanks for the review.

One question:

What is this "reheasal" thing to which you refer?

pb-272 likes this.
  8. pb-272

pb-272 Member

Haha, us mere mortals have to practice!!

9. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member

Always been intrigued by the Indy.... thanks for re introducing Matchless lust to me...lol

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    I WISH we could practice. Since I started hiring players who are much better than me (makes me look like I halfway know what I'm doing), I have to accept the fact that they're too busy playing with a dozen other band leaders to practice.

At least I don't have to worry about them not wood shedding or coming ill-prepared.

Now if *I* could come better prepared.