Matchless Jorgenson JJ-30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chi, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Chi

Chi Member

Ok guys what can you tell me about this amp? What is the value of one in pristine condition?

Anybody out there own one?

I heard one today, and it is to die for.

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Matchless has released the King Cobra (EL34) and Cobra (EL84) which both have Tremolo and Reverb tweaked by Phil Jamison.

Shallbe on TGP has the first King Cobra built, a prototype of sorts, called the Phalanx and as far as I know, it is his number one.

I think the Cobra circuit would be very favorable to the JJ-30, lower in cost and I would argue, with Phil's tweaks to the Tremolo and Reverb, it would probably be even better!

_TJK*

3. davebc

davebc Member

I thought the Jorgenson was a Sampson era signiture model single 12(DC30) type. Probably sellng at a premium to it's newer Matchless siblings.
    I would just wager a guess and say a pretty desireable addition to anyone's amp arsenal.

4. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

I owned one for a while . Great amp. Super grab and go with the best trem ever and decent verb.A used one is at least $3900.00 right now(sold mine for $4500.00 could not turn it down). I would most likely buy a new Matchless Cobra from Fatsound for $3179.00 though unless the JJ was a real good deal.I believe they still use the same trannies so the amp should be great. I was gonna buy a JJ on the Emporium for $3900.00 but I could really not justify the cost versus the Cobra.Matchless wisely saw the void and filled it. The Cobra also has a loop and the Jorgie does not.
    JJ 30 clip www.blues2001.com/waitinforthesun.mp3
    King Kobra has el34s . That would be my choice I believe.That being said I would love to have my JJ30 back. Just not for $4500.00:)

see my review at www.blues2001.com/amptest2.htm or just Google Matchless John Jorgenson........ I'll come up.. #2 one ahead of Matchless amplifiers..;) I need to update the review as obviously they are back in business.
    http://www.google.com/search?source...LR:2005-40,GGLR:en&q=matchless+john+jorgenson

5. PHILOCHE

PHILOCHE Member

Rarest Matchless amp (maybe 40 or 50), the one and only signature model (John Jorgenson), 2 years (without then with footswitch input) 1997/98.
    very expensive. see here (they've sold three of them in this shop in Boston !!!)

A producer or a recording studio (I can't rememeber well) has got at least 4 JJ30 (several colors) !!!!
    this amp put a spell on everyone in its neighborhood.

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchan...GY&Store_Code=BGWI&Category_Code=SOLD-AM-MATC

I've got one of 2 in my country (France)
    it's my 7th Matchless and the most incredible amp I put my hands on.
    Try one and trust your ears !!!

6. davebc

davebc Member

Nice groove bro!:BEER

7. davebc

davebc Member

Although, maybe not as rare as that run in the killer natural finish DC-30's.
    Remember those, with the "notes" carved into the front? Does anyone remember what kind of exotic woods he used for the cabs?
    They were like Samson art amps, very beautiful. They must be through the roof now.
    I can't believe I was actually considering selling my old DC-30, which hadn't been seeing much use since I developed my Louis Electric amp fetish. THEN, I plugged it in and DAMN! instantly remembered everything I loved about it, lightning fast, riduculously lively,moving air like a tornado with that percussive bark, and rich unmistakable Matchless harmonic complexity. It probably doesn't hurt that it's loaded with about a grand worth of nos Mullards:rotflmao
    Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack the thread. Carry on boys!:BEER

8. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I have some of Marks early Matchless amps and one prototype and I have to say his amps are absolutely amazing. That guy can squeeze tone out in ways you have to hear to beleive. He is definatley one of the best amp builders in the world to day. I can say much for Phil as I have only heard his production amps but I seem to favor the way Marks circuits are designed. Not to mention the are durable!

9. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

Hé, hé Philippe, bienvenu sur le forum!

Jmarc

10. nightbird

nightbird Member

Whoa, we must be connected to the same wave link. I recently almost made the same faux pas, in considering selling my '92 DC30. Glad I came to my senses. One of the best amps ever created!!

11. soldano16

soldano16 Member

All I can say is I saw him play his live and the thunder that came out of that thing was amazing.

Or was it just his playing?

12. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

Thank you much!!!:BEER

13. davebc

davebc Member

I did sell my Sampson era 2-10 Lightning though. Great amp as well, not missing it as much as I thought, and I know it's in good hands.
    Lou's amps put me into so many tone zones that I'm literally high after I play.
    I can't say that's ever happened(except maybe in the old days when I actually was, maybe, just a little, a tad, depending on, you know, because of the times, and right? :messedup :RoCkIn :nono :MMM:rotflmao
    :BEER

14. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

I have a very early jj.... I bought it from Mark when he supplied producer jack joseph puig with fleet of matchless (12-15 different ones).... black crowes used them and Mark gave Tonic most of them... I will never sell it, tone for days... anyone every play the norton? I have 1 and the only other one I saw was in nashville at Froggies (sp?) guitars? not sure but great Matchless monster. I used to use my Thunderman for slide.

15. mprvise

mprvise Member

Found mine in St Louis over 10 years ago. It was my #1 gig amp for four years. Grab and go? Not for me and my back - at 70lbs it became a bit much to lug around. Recently mine had a tune up and is now sounding SO GOOD!
    [​IMG]

16. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I tried at JJ at GC a couple of weeks during the President's Day sale. $4500 marked down to $2000. Nice amp but it didn't come home with me.

17. davebc

davebc Member

Beautiful!:drool They really did come up with some great color schemes.
    "That's no scheme. It's a conspiracy!" Groucho Marx

18. PHILOCHE

PHILOCHE Member

An "exotic" DC30 would be my dream amp because of its beauty,scarcity and sound (I hope so about sound as I never tried one but quite sure).Ultimate Matchless amp for a big fan.

ULTRA-heavy and ULTRA-expensive
    JJ30 are "only" QUITE heavy and VERY expensive.

Eurocool :
    Salut Jmarc, 2 "frenchies" are talking lately (overseas) about their gear passion. Not sure there are more than 100 "old" Matchless amps users in France...
    ciao
    Ph.

19. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

best matchless amp ever made in my opinion. best of everything matchless ever did

20. davebc

davebc Member

I seem to remember an exotic showing up on ebay at least a year or so ago for around 7k, probably more by now.
    I wonder how they stack up sonically against a regular old DC-30.
    There's no question in my mind after hearing my Louis Electric Kr12 in natural finish old pine, that tolex covering has an effect on tone.