Matchless King Cobra Clips Here!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shallbe, Jun 26, 2008.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Here are the clips for the Matchless King Cobra I promised. There are six clips total---each with a picture beside it of the guitar or amp. I used a Les Paul, plus Suhr S and T types.

These were recorded at my house, by Tommy "Flash" Jordan (great, great guitarist and studio whiz at Oak Hill Recording) with a Mac, Pro Tools, a tube mic preamp, and a couple of mics. I did the playing, trying to showcase what I love about the amp.

There are no effects used, none were added, no compression, and zero EQ'ing was done. All we did was edit clip length. The dirty clips have me rolling up the guitar volume on the Strat and Les Paul during the take, to show clean to mean.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=676044&content=music

TURN THEM UP to listen to them. We tried to display the superb dynamics and harmonic richness of the amp. It can do clean and dirty at the same time if you control your pick attack per string. You will also get an idea of how nice the reverb is if you listen to the clips loudly.

Let me know what you think! Ask questions if you have them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

The clips sound fantastic... as does the amp... very pristine with a lot of touch sensitivity, the trem sounds quite liquidy... nice.

What are the specs on the Bob Burt cabinet, it looks like an interesting design and something I've been thinking of... ported closed back on the bottom and open/semi-open on the top?

Great harmonic feedback at the end of the Suhr S dirty clip... does it slip into it easily?

Thanks again, really appriciate it, I've been dying to hear this amp since Phil was talking to me about it almost two years ago, haha.

_TJK*

3. shallbe

Thanks for listening.

The amp is very touch sensitive, but not touchy, if that makes sense. The harmonic richness is easy on the ear, and the harmonic activity is easy to control and enjoy. Even on the clean chords, when they hang, you hear the harmonics present and developing.

The Bob Burt cab is made of antique pine---very light and resonant. It has a slanted speaker in the top with an open back. The top speaker is a C-Rex. The bottom 12 is a Red Fang, completely sealed off from the top speaker and ported in the front. The cab is also pretty deep there. I refer to it as the Bob Burt vertical, and due to it's design, works just as well outdoors as indoors. My favorite cab by far, for lots of reasons.

Getting the amp to feedback like that with a Strat is very easy. The amp was at 3:00 on the volume, and the master was at 10:00. Although I rarely use it, the master works very well. It was needed for this recording, to show how gainy the amp can get, while still having a great clean available, and not having the cops called.

Volume-wise, this is the best amp I have ever had. Perfect for clubs or bigger stages, and an attenuator is never needed. I did not show how it absolutely loves pedals, but it really takes them to another level.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

Very nice! I decided a while ago if I ever get another amp this one is in my top three choices. Thanks for the additional GAS! :BEER

5. shallbe

Thanks for the compliment. It is always a challenge to get a good representation of what is coming out of the speaker to an MP3, but if you turn the clip up enough, you can get a decent idea.

There are only about eight of these amps in existence right now, so I hope people listen to the clips to hear how it differs from some other Matchless models.

I love this amp so much, sometimes I think about getting another, or maybe a Cobra.

6. soulohio

soulohio Member

nice clips Steve!

7. shallbe

Thanks!

With folks wanting to hear more chords in clips, I may have gone a little overboard there, now listening back. I did not do a lot of single string stuff, although the two Classic S neck PU clips have some.

Oh well. You do and you learn.

8. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Great stuff, sounds like a killer roots/classic/blues rock amp ... love the cleans with verb ...

9. shallbe

It certainly is. However, it also kills for country stuff with a Tele, and really covers anything I need to do. A simple clean boost sends it into classic rock heavy crunch, and true overdrive will get you 80's metal type tones. Due to how dynamic it is, it loves boosts and overdrives.

The verb is so sweet, I have it on mostly all the time for space and wetness---you dont really notice it unless you turn it off. I only click it off for the real hard rock stuff.

10. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

Sounds great. How would you compare the king Cobra to the Clubman ? Besides the trem & verb on the King Cobra.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Nice clips, it sounds like mine!

It is such an "honest" amp, it sounds very pure to me. I have lots of other amps that I really dig, Carol-Ann OD2, CA Tucana, Mad Professor, etc., but the King Cobra hangs with them all. It is a great base amp to build your tone upon.

12. shallbe

It has been a while since I played a Clubman, but I really liked that amp. My recollection is the King Cobra is bigger and fuller sounding, both in the bottom and top end. The KC has a big, round, warm bottom end that does not mush or collapse, even under heavy gain. The Clubman has more of the crushed glass top end, vs. the fatter chime of the King Cobra. I consider the Clubman to be a rock amp primarily, where this amp certainly does that, but other styles equally as well. For example, I literally did not change either the tone knob or the cut knob as I switched between guitars for the clips---it just makes everything into it sound great, but magnifies strengths. As Phil Jamison told me, the King Cobra will do Clubman and much more.

Some of the Chieftains I have played had beautiful reverb, and this one is very similar. There was also a sweetness to one particular Chieftain I played that reminds me of this amp in some ways.

13. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

The tele through that amp was stunning. BTW, I'm glad you played a lot of chords. Most amp demoes seem to be mostly random single note noodling, with a few overly aggressive chugga chugga's thrown in for flavor. Nicely done.

Did these clips show the max gain the amp can do on its own?

14. GAT

I've had the Clubman and now the KC. The KC has more of every frequency, thicker lower mids and a slightly rounded top end. I think the reverb is the best I've ever had in an amp. The trem is great too, really stands out in a band situation.

Shallbe really nailed the tones of the amp. Hit it with a gain pedal and it will do some serious grind and not mush out.

15. shallbe

Thank you. I play that Tele nearly every gig because it sounds so good through the amp.

The amp can get a little gainier---I was at 3:00 on the volume, so it was not maxed. The master was at 10:00---which works very well. I used the master so the neighbors would not complain, and it really sounds/feels good and natural. Live, I never use the master. The amp is so volume and pedal friendly I just don't need it.

If you want even more gain, a good overdrive into this amp will give you unbelieveable amounts of gain that stays together.

16. shallbe

Gilbert, you said it better than I could!

17. shallbe

Just got finished playing the weekend with this amp. All I used was my 54 historic goldtop with P-90's. It sounded so good through the amp, I used it all weekend, and got a lot of compliments on my "Gibson."

I wish I had done a P-90 clip now.

18. GAT

I have a Baker Jr. black limba that I still have not played through the KC, I really think that would be a killer combo.

With my Old World E-Type esquire w/Budz pu, I can nail those Ian Moore tones with that amp.

19. shallbe

I think I have seen one of those black limba jr.s on TGP before. Beautiful guitars.

P-90's are really great with this amp. I was getting everything from Bad Company to James Brown to Steely Dan with my P90 Goldtop and the KC. I had kind of retired that gutar after 12 years of playing, but did about two days worth of work on it and it REALLY came back to life. I was reminded all over again why I thought it was so special.

I've yet to play a guitar that the King Cobra did not make sound its best.

20. shallbe

Bob,

Great to hear from you. Glad you liked the clips---I wish they were louder, but if you really turn them up you get the gist of the amp. I hope things are going well for you and the family.

Traders on the causeway only has us there on Friday nights now, and we will be there on 8/8 next. Our next gig is TP Crocks on July 18th-19th.

I would love to hang with you and try out whatever you have. Lets get together soon. Still only using your cab since I got it---how many years has that been now? Love it for so many reasons. Time flies by these days.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008