• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Matchless Laurel Canyon

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Apart from a NAD post and the thread about the announcement of the amp, I haven’t seen much talk about these.

I’ve always been a matchless fan, and was intrigued by the description of a princetony vibe with matchless sparkle on the top end.

I decided to take the plunge and a 20w combo with reverb showed up today.

Wow! What a beautiful amp. Love the form factor as it’s the new matchless cab size.

Honestly everywhere I turned the knobs sounded great. Bumping the mids can make it super throaty. Rolling them off gives it that clear bell tone.

And man does this thing have highs. Woah. I’ll be anxious to hear it in a band setting as I’m sure it cuts through beautifully but rolling the treble just a bit brought it into range for noodling.

I’ll be anxious so see how the sound matures a bit as everything settles. Whether that’s the amp breaking in or my ears...

anywho, why aren’t these getting more love? Just not enough in the wild yet or is 6v6 world just too crowded?

Last edited:

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats! I’ve seen a couple other guys here who have one and I think the numbers will climb. It’s a brand new amp so it takes time. Amazing amp though and hope you enjoy it. I’ve got a couple Matchless’ myself

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
I'll try to snap some pictures tonight. I actually just picked up a Morgan PR12 (my previous favorite amp I've ever owned and regretted selling) with the JS 1250. Can you tell I like Princetons? Was just playing around at kids are asleep levels in stereo and it sounded epic. Excited to see what the JS1250 can do when I have a chance to push it as I am very familiar with the PR12 with the stock greenback. I feel like the matchless is starting to settle in a little bit, or I'm getting used to it a bit more, and I'm coercing some awesome sounds out of it.

More to come!

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I was interested, but it's not on the website so there's no way to check it out unless a dealer has one.

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
I was interested, but it's not on the website so there's no way to check it out unless a dealer has one.
I find it super odd that the matchless website is so outdated. I've seen them post a new site is coming, but it seems like it's been quite delayed. I just took the plunge, lol.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Did you get it direct from Matchless or go though a dealer? Either way, I don't think a whole lot of them have been built yet.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Picked it up from a dealer out of the Nashville area.
Ok. There was one for sale in the emporium a little while back - local sale too. If it had been any other color I probably would have snapped it up, but the Elk Beige is just not my cup of tea. It also had a wider body cabinet than most I've seen. I'm not sure if that's a plus or a negative.

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
I find it super odd that the matchless website is so outdated.
All small company websites are outdated.
The web is a failure -- it's too difficult to update.

Details: If you're a small company like Matchless, your core competency is building amplifiers, not building websites. And you don't have huge profits, so you can't really afford to pay someone to update it. So you just let it sit there, and you post updates on Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Last edited:

proxy

Just picked up one of these and it sounds fantastic. It’s my favorite light crunch sound I’ve heard. So much detail and so vivid.

I’ve always thought the dimensionality of Matchless amps was impressive but I also prefer 6V6/6L6 amps in general, which meant Matchless wasn’t an option until now.

I think this amp is a new classic.

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Just picked up one of these and it sounds fantastic. It’s my favorite light crunch sound I’ve heard. So much detail and so vivid.

I’ve always thought the dimensionality of Matchless amps was impressive but I also prefer 6V6/6L6 amps in general, which meant Matchless wasn’t an option until now.

I think this amp is a new classic.

Picked it up from a dealer out of the Nashville area.

How would you guys describe/compare the cleans on this amp? Any Fender DNA there? Looking at this or a Chieftain to complement my DC30 and Indy

Also, website updated! https://www.matchlessamplifiers.com

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
How would you guys describe/compare the cleans on this amp? Any Fender DNA there? Looking at this or a Chieftain to complement my DC30 and Indy

Also, website updated! https://www.matchlessamplifiers.com
there is definitely fender dna in there. It’s not a dead ringer for a Princeton, it’s got its own thing going on but you can get in that range for sure. I think the midwood guitar demo is the closest to how I use it. Some of the other demos really crank it, but in that midwood demo he pulls out some killer single coil tones.

as for complimenting, it depends on what you mean by that. If you want a slightly different flavor but still that matchless chime then yes. But it doesn’t sound like a dc30 :)

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
I've yapped about it plenty here and posted pics aplenty of mine in seafoam green, aka mint green.

The Matchless website is now updated with it. Heads are indeed available.

I think this design is nothing short of groundbreaking. A voice unto itself in a field choked with clones. Just amazing.

proxy

I’ve gone through a lot of amp flipping in my time, and am coming around to the idea that I’m more of a fender-y 6V6/6L6-y type of player overall.

The amps I kept are a Super Reverb, a Two Rock CLRS (on the BF voicing), and this Matchless Laurel Canyon. The Super because it’s super, the TR for a more boutique-y take on the BF sound, and the LC for more light distortion duties. I don’t know tweeds like I know BF amps, but my impression is the light crunch in the LC is a little tweed-y. So, it feels more like a tweed/BF hybrid with that vivid detail I associate with Matchless.

The cleans are great too on the LC, but to me it’s superpower is in the light crunch sound. The kind of light crunch that in a band context, actually translates to appearing pretty clean.

Trending Topics