Matchless Lightening - tell me about them please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Feb 4, 2008.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I love the videos posted in the Sound Hound Lounge of Audley Freed playing one. I had no idea they were that ballsy sounding. I play at home 90% of the time and my RSA23 is proving to be a bit too loud. If a Lightening is capable of that wonderful Malcolm Young grind, perhaps that's a better option for. I would definitely want a head in order to use a 2x12 cab.

Does the version with reverb sound the same?

2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

The Lightning is a loud 15 watt amp. IMHO reverb isn't needed because of the lushness of the sound.

MikeY

3. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Is the low end tight? I love the low end of my RSA23. I don;t like many 15/18 watt amps because they don't have that "punch."

4. Free

Free Member

It's a little combo, so of course you won't be getting that much punch. It's not what those amps are about.

5. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

The low end can be a little loose. May be exacerbated by the aged G12H30 Matchless speaker...they age the edge ring with acetone or something.
    You could tighten up low end with speaker changes

Not really a tight Marshall overdrive...don't know if it would nail the AC/DC thing.

6. dave s

dave s Member

cg,

I'm pretty sure the guitarist/singer in Fountains of Wayne was playing a 112 Lightning when I saw the band. Loud? I could hear his amp from stage when he started a couple of the songs himself.

Also, the jangly clean tones you'd come across on a FOW CD are a pretty good representation of the amp I heard live at the show.

dave

7. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

The Matchless Lightening is my main giging amp. It's the one amp that does everything I need from loud clean to classic grind to modern alternative (with some pedals in front).

It is NOT a bedroom amp. It wants to be turned up a bit, but doesn't have to be dimed to sound great.

I am satisfied with every type of tone I get out of it. It does the best job of hitting all the various sounds I need for our mix (no one amp does them all the best). And this amp sits in the mix so well.

Possibly the ultimate small club amp.

Mine is a 1x12 combo with reverb.

Here are some clips on my myspace (mine's panned left when there are two amps, and always the one playing with only one guitar part:

http://www.myspace.com/dkpartyband

Also, you can see some video clips at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/thedeadkennys

We do the AC/DC thing on one of these tunes, and the Jett covers also show the AC/DC thing too.

Judge for yourself.

Cheers,

Paul

8. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

...loudest 15 watts I ever heard, the 1 x12 Matchless blew my Goodsell Super 17 2 x12 away. One thing I didn't like about the Lightning was the interaction of the tone controls (active?) I liked the amp with other people playing it but not so much me, just wasn't my style or something. I'm wanting to try either the Soho or London and the RSa23

[​IMG]

There my be another Lightning in my future but it will be the head version, I have a Avatar cab loaded with a pair of '64 Vox silver alnicos that sounded great, just didn't like the look of a combo setting on a cab or the reverb option. I will say I heard George Coats smoke some killer tone out of my amp before I traded it in for a ToneMaster Head/cab

9. Nolatone Ampworks

Soho and London are both incredible amps (I've owned them both), but WAY different than the Lightning. Hard to beat a 65 for what it does, but for gorgeous cleans with great punch and headroom , the Lightning is it in a lower wattage amp.

Don't let the fact they are all EL84's fool you!

10. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Hey Paul, I may have actually met you at ADM. What 65 amp did you prefer, the London or Soho? ....evidently you sold them???

11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

The original Bad Cat Cub is basically an improved Matchless Lightning ... a little more dynamic, a little tighter bass, a very loud 15 watter. If you can find an original Cub (not the Cub II), it's tone heaven IMO.

I started after a Lightning but ended up with the Cub after 2 dealers (both sell matchless & bad cat) told me they thought it was one of the few times when a Matchless which was already great, was improved a tad.

Just about every single component inside my '01 Cub says "Matchless" on it.

They're great amps (Lightning or Cub).

cheers,
    Jon

12. Nolatone Ampworks

I prefer the London for it's simplicity to dial in tones.

You can get a lot wider range of tones out of the Soho, so it's "tweakier", but the London is just "right there" and soooo right.