Matchless Lightning appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Boogie92801, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have been playing this thing for a few months now and I can certainly say she is a keeper. I have tried a few tube changes and a few guitars and I am very happy with the tones I can get both loud and, .. well loud clean and dirty.

2. I have an old Lightning 15 reverb with 2 12 celestions man I just love that amp. I always get comments when I use it. But it is one heavy mother.
    thanks
    tony

3. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

A 95 2x10 all shower curtain turquoise, including the original tubes. The speakers are Celestion Vintage 10's, modified by Matchless
    It was mint, but I did get some rash on the bottom this year even though I have a cover.
    The tone is smokin'. However..for larger venue it lacks the volume.
    Which has been the case several times this year. Bringing it back through monitors helps a bit. But it seems to get hairy rather fast after a certain point.
    I have 16-20 amps and this one is getting the call for the past year. That is....... until I get my SC30 back from repair. Then....:RoCkIn
    They really have alot of tone and longevity for the buck. Imo

4. davebc

davebc Member

Man, this thread is a long time coming, and well deserved
    I have a 95 Lightning 2-10 in shower curtain blue, as well.
    This baby will definitely peel paint!
    A few thoughts, warm, creamy, screaming, rich harmonic distortion, and tons of it on hand, without taking anyones head off, unless you really want to. The Lightning is the loudest 15 watts I've heard, that's one big ass transformer.
    Sonically, it sounds to me like the perfect blend of an old Marshall and an old Vox. Mine loves my Les Pauls,(especially the middle position) straight in no pedals.
    This amp might do the best Duane at the Fillmore of all my amps, again that really ripping harmonic distortion that only comes from a cranked great old British amp.
    I did completely retube mine with nos Mullards, definitely worth the dough.
    On mine, the Master Volume works extremely well, no loss of integrity "if" you have to bring it down.
    I really enjoy hearing the character of the amp turn into a fire breathing dragon in the few minutes it takes to heat up.
    They should have called it Freightning 15.

5. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I've got an amp that I make that is mostly Lightning. It blew me away so much I sold my previous number 1 that cost 3 times as much. A buddy of mine recorded some clips that put my playing to shame, rock, blues, country.... I love the Lightning especially with a Mojo 30H in it.

jimvenus1 likes this.
  6. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Mine really loves a 12" Weber Blue Dog. Tames that upper midrange glass, without killing it. It also loves a Gretsch. The Lightning was my first Matchless amp. Never used the master, so now it's a Vox-style cut control. Makes it more usable with bright single coils. The Spitfire makes friends a little more easily, but the Lightning sure has its thing.

7. davebc

davebc Member

I would really love to hear/try the Lightning in the single 12. It must be really amazing. My 2-10 really does move a lot of air.

8. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

When you get a lightning with good tubes it is a pretty rocking little amp and you get that awesome matchless swirly thing when you clean things up. I am a big fan...but I also think the spitfire is one neat sounding rig too. Would love to hear a nighthawk...

9. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I own a Trinity 15 that Stephen rolled for me last year. It is based on the Lightning, is very nicely laid out and built (I had him use the West Labs tranny set). The cab was nicely built, is large for a 1x12 (I think larger cabs sound better) and I dropped a Tone Tubby Paper cone alnico in there to burnish the top end. Its a very hip amp and has paid for itself in work. Hmm, think I'll use it on tonight's gig (casual)...

10. SamN

SamN Member

A music store rep recently told me the Lighning and the Bad Cat Cub II are basicly the same amp. Anyone have experience with both of these amps that could confirm that contention.

11. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

No experience, but from the description I would lean toward the Cub. Sounds like it has the features I wanted to add to my Lightning, namely the tone-circuit bypass and cut. The Bad Cats I've heard/tried sound great, in the same zone as Matchless with *more*.