Matchless Lightning as a Recording Amp?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bluesbill, Aug 28, 2006.

1. bluesbill

bluesbill Guest

Has anyone used the Matchless Lightning 1x12 or 2x10 as a recording
    amp? Just curious how well it records. Thanks!

2. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I recorded most of the guitar tracks on our EP through two amps, one of which was usually a DC30. I used the 12AX7 channel and had the amp on the 15 watt setting. It recorded wonderfully. It's not a Lightning, but it is very similar.

I do own a Lightning clone, and it gets similar sounds, but is still a different amp. My lightning has a cut control also which I find incredibly useful on this amp.

These amps are in a Vox vein, but really don't sound like a Vox, for a number of reasons.

3. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

I have a Lightning 15 1 X 12 that I have recorded for the last 8 years and it sounds great. I am selling it because I got a Badcat Hotcat 30 which is somewhat similiar sounding on the clean channel, but much more versatile and bigger sounding. The lightning distortion has a nice, thick medium gain that is pretty unique, great for alternative rock.

4. Rich T Fingers

Rich T Fingers Member

What's "alternative rock"? Would that be David Hasselhof?

5. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I use the 1x12 all the time. It's a great amp...recording and otherwise. It can be way bright if not careful.

6. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Those Lightning amps are horrible, you'd all be better of sending them to me.

Seriously, it's the first amp I've heard that can sound good at low volume distortion settings.

7. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I recorded a demo for an artist years ago at a great studio in NYC - forget the name, alot of jazz heavyweights rehearse & record there. They had a 2x10 Lightning that sounded gorgeous on the recordings, I loved the tone so much that I began to GAS hard for a Matchless. Now (4 years later) my #1 live and recording amp is - you guessed it - a Matchless!!! '94 Clubman w/2x12 to be exact. Strangely enough, it actually records best at a lower overall volume! Surprised me & my producer! You can't go wrong with any Matchless for recording.

8. covert

covert Member

If you can get the sound you want at the amp, it will record as well as the engineer can record it.

9. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have a Matchless Lightnign 1x12 and yes it is a tone machine. It is my number one amp and the only time I don;t use it is at outdoor gigs.