Matchless Lightning Tone info needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skeeterbuck, Jun 26, 2008.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I am looking into buying a Matchless Lightning used.

I was told that the amp is basically a clone of the Vox AC30 top boost channel.

Looking to hear from owners of the Lightning if they think that this is accurate. I already did a search and didn't find anything directly addressing this question.

Thanks for the help.

2. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

It is in that the preamp is one stage into a cathode follower into a very similar bass/treble tone stack. Note that the Lighning uses both triodes of the first tube in parallel, I don't believe the AC30 does that.

Tonally, I don't know how accurate that is. There's not cut control on a Lightning so you don't have that aspect.

I would describe the tone vox meets Deluxe Reverb.

It's a great amp. My Nolatone Model One had borrowed some of Lightning circuit, but I was never happy with the way the amp sounded when pushed hard, so I redid the entire tone stack, so it's no longer "related".

Hope that helps.

Paul

3. catherinef

catherinef Member

Go on youtube.com and do a search on Audley Freed. You'll find six clips from the Gibson exhibition from last year. Audley's playing a Lightning head. Plays it fairly clean then with a treble booster so you can get an idea how it sounds. I've had a Lightning for years and love it. Takes pedals very well.

4. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

If you compare the Vox and Matchless schematics, you will see that they are VERY similar. Mark did a bullet proof layout though.

If you research enough Vox schematics, you will see strong similarities.

5. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Thanks everyone for the info and clips.

Anyone else?

There's has to be more gearheads here that have heard the Lighting.

6. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    The Lightning is the 15 watt (2 EL84's vs. 4 EL84's in the DC/HC amp) version first channel of the DC30 - close to the Top Boost layout. All tone descriptors for that channel on the DC30 apply to the Lightning, with allowances for the different sized cab & spkrs. The Matchless Nighthawk is the 15 watt version of the right channel of the DC30 - it will feature the EF86 pre-amp tube and the selector switch tone control off the big DC/HC30 model - same cab & spkr disclaimer here too.