Matchless Little Monster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jeffh, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I bought one today, it's on the way. I am hoping it will be a lower volume, higher gain, Marshall like amp. I have a Heritage AC15 and a /13 CJ11, so I figure I had the Vox and Tweed like amp covered.... had to buy something !!

Been trying not to buy an Independence to replace my Hot Cat for gigs and band practice, maybe the Little Monster will suffice for the Matchless fix....

Anyone have a Little Monster ? Good ? Bad ? Indifferent ?

2. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Still no mid eq control on their amps? What is up with that?

3. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

4. jeffh

Will do, and maybe a clip or two when I get it.

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    They don't need it they are voiced perfectly. BTW the Chieftains have a mid control.

6. Presto

Presto Member

Hi,

I just got a little monster last week and am very happy with it, the little guy is doing everything I could have wanted and more. I got one to replace my Matchless Phoenix, which I've been using for the last 2 years at rehearsals and live shows. I'm going to be having a break from the live stuff now though so I wanted something more suited to home/small apartment use....wasn't sure if the little monster was going to cut it, but it does!

It definitely lacks nothing in gain, which is great for me because I mainly play progressive metal. When I use a Crowther Hot Cake pedal to push it just a tad futher :) I can get some huge, staturated tones at quite manageable volumes.....well I haven't had any complaints yet anyways.

The most surprising thing about the LM is the clean tone though. With the Master cranked all the way and the volume way down, I can get some beautiful matchless sparkle, again at bedroom volumes. Stoked.

Keen to hear others input on them? I haven't used it cranked yet, or to run an extension cabinet......has anyone on here tried that in a rehearsal or live environment? I'm not sure but the amp definitely sounds loud enough to handle most situations.... Oh and check the nice 'shell pink' version I got :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  7. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

nice amp, looks cream to me though

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Did they end up revoicing these amps? I played one of the first production models and found it to be incredibly dark. It was a great, thick sound, but that was the only trick that it did.

Bryan

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Same here, very dark to my ears. I had a very low s/n one. It had almost no treble or high end.

10. Presto

Presto Member

I'm not sure if they have been revoiced? Mine is quite dark also, especially at lower volumes, but seems to tighten up the more it's pushed (not that i've pushed it far yet). To play at really low volumes, I just increase the presence on my Hot Cake to get a nice boost in high end. I'm a big fan of darker tones though, so maybe it just suits my needs!

Oh and yep, it is quite cream looking...until you put it in sunlight, then (whether you like it or not) you see some definite pink coming through :)

11. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I may have to try this one out, I'm not a fan of amps with a lot of high end, I like them on the darker side of the sound spectrum

Teh RedWizard likes this.
  12. jeffh

I got mine Monday, been playing it all week. I too would say it is a dark sounding amp, which I am ok with, a little more high mid would be nice, I have a 1x12 with a Blue at our rehersal space, need to try it with that.

Typically the G12H is not my favorite speaker, but it sounds good with this one.

What I really like:
    • It feels great. Very dynamic response.
    • Great tone at very low volume, gets even better as you turn it up
    • Sustains forever, very big single notes
    • Very transparent, my guitars sound like my guitars
    • Looks very cool, and seems very well made

What I don't like:
    • Not much really, it's pretty much what I wanted out of this amp. If I could only keep one of my three practice/recording amps, I would probably keep the CJ over the Little Monster.

I can see where all of non fans of boutique amps will use the Little Monster as the prototypical "it's overpriced, my Classic 30 sounds better for a 1/5 of the price" amp. It is a little pricey and definitely a home/recording amp, I can't imagine it keeping up with the rock band I play in.

A clip:
    Little Monster Clip

Two tracks recorded with a PRS SC245, the controls were set as one of the pictures shows. The lead track is boosted with a Fulldrive and a bit of delay from a Maxon AD9Pro. A little bit of reverb and panning, that's about it.

Some pictures:

[​IMG]

The cabinet is fairly large, pictures with my CJ11

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Controls for the clip

[​IMG]

Back of the amp

[​IMG]

13. Presto

Presto Member

I'm going to try mine out at rehearsal this wed, through a 4x12 extension cabinent. My current band is pretty loud, so it will be interesting to see how the little fella holds up.

14. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

keep us posted, that's killer

15. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Cool clip. Im a big fan of all the Matchless stuff!

16. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

how does this amp differ from the baby? I know the baby only has one 12ax7, but I wonder how the tones compare.

17. Presto

Presto Member

The LM is not built for clean tones at high volumes, it's the 'rock' verison of the two (driven by two 12AX7s). The Baby is built for nice chimey cleans I believe, and is driven by one 12AX7....I'm yet to hear one though.

By the way, my Little Monster through a 4x12 extension cab just kept up with my band....I had to push it as far as it would go, but I was pretty impressed for a 9W amp. We play a pretty loud, noisey style of music too.

18. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

As a side note
    Ken Fischer turned a small Fender amp into a sleeper amp that he called the Dirty Little Monster years ago.
    Word is that Dr Z was inspired by this amp when he voiced the Mini Z
    The Mini Z was not a clone or a borrowed design of Ken's (MIke and Ken were good friends) but an inspiration.
    Carry on.

19. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

sweet, thanks for the update. Now all I need is a LM and a baby to run in stereo...

20. Presto

Presto Member

haha

I'm currently agonizing over a difficult Matchless related choice. I own a Phoenix 35 head and a Little Monster at the moment……but for financial reasons I can’t hang on to both of them. I definitely consider The Phoenix to a better, more versatile amp overall, but to keep it I’d need to invest more in a decent cab (been using a borrowed one for ages now) and probably an attenuator (i'm moving from regular gigs to a more home based approach). Being in Australia everything costs a fortune here too……but I’m worried I’m going to ultimately regret selling the Phoenix…hmmm

Any input from TGP?