Matchless - NOW I get it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by electronpirate, Jul 19, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

After hearing the Clubman at Music Gear Guy's, I now understand the comments on Matchless.

Great sounding amp. Hard to describe. If found it not really clean, and not really anything else I've heard. Just it's own sound. Sure you hear recordings, but it doesn't at all come close to listening to it live.

Now I get it. Hear it. Whatever.

Now where's that extra $3k I had lying around?

EP

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I had a Proto Clubman, One of the very first. Bought it from Doug Roccaforte. We did not know at the time it was a prototype. Top 3 amp for me. The Clean tone with my old PRS AT Spruce was as good as is gets...for me at least.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yup. I had a 94 DC30. Definitely something unique going on there.

4. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

One of those tones that once you experience it, if it's your style, nothing else compares again, and you can't rest until you've got THAT tone... I experienced that tone for the first time roughly around 1995 at a Gufs concert, and I finally bought a Lightning (s2amps clone) last year... still don't have a "real" Matchless, but I do have that tone now.

5. 1kidc

1kidc Member

I played that clubman yesterday too. When I hear about "chime" THAT amp is the very definition of the term! Sheeeeeeite!

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I opted not to buy that amp at the time. I wanted to spend more money on a head that is no longer here. DANG!

Good on you! Congrats on a great amp :BEER !!

M.E.

7. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I own this amp now. It is has got tone for days. Awesome clean, chime and grind.
    :BEER

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

:RoCkIn

:jo

9. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I hesitate to say this because I've said it before, but I really think that the Clubman may be the best amp for me.... I love it. Of course that doesn't mean I'm selling the other 10 amps any time soon. :)

10. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

I have over 60 amps and the one I take to the gig is an SC-30. Also have a Hurricane that's #3 behind my Sewell Texaplex 25.

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

NICE!! I have nothing really to add about Matchless on this thread, but since I have 25-30 amps and preamps, glad to read someone is as much and even more of an amp freak than I am!!! Carry on:D ERIC

12. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I had a Clubman Reverb for a while. Great amp. I've since realized that I love the EL84 matchless style amps a lot more. I had a Bad Cat Trem Cat that was awesome, just too heavy on my back at 95lbs. I've built a few and I'm blown away every time I plug into one.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The Clubman is a great amp, in part because it has some Hiwatt vibe.

14. 1979

1979 Member

Yeah, I bought RWE333's clubman a couple of months ago. It's a great amp-need to find a good ef86 though. This amp sounds unreal with darker sounding hollowbodys. I lent it to a buddy this past weekend for a gig which I was the sound guy for. His old f-hole hagstrom and the clubman sounded unreal- sat right in the mix under the lead guitar and vocals pefectly. BTW The clubman is by far the loudest 35w amp I have ever heard-easily as loud as a blackface twin. Not that loud is better, It's just nice to be able to have an amp that has an eq that actually does something- and the ability to do clean and dirty at bedroom or club volumes. I have the matching 1-12 cab but I like running it through one bluedog and one 12A150 in a blackface bassman cab.

15. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

I will second that motion:AOK

16. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

NICE to see you all are on my side of things! I've had my Clubman ('94) for close to a year now & it's absolute magic! Nothing compares - the best tone platform for me ever. With the right drive pedals (OCD, SexDrive, AM Beano Boost) it does everything from clean, slight hair, medium break-up (Stones), more break up (Zep/Crowes) to metal (Priest, Rainbow, UFO, Sabbath, Loudness). Only thing it won't do is downtuned Korny Nu-poo 'metal' (which ain't metal anyway - just weak teen pseudo-angst).

Yup, Matchless Clubmans RULE!!!! :BOUNCE

. ..mine ain't for sale, either!

17. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

SO....

What's the difference tonally between and DC-30 and a clubman? I just got a Black Cat 30 and am totally blown away by it. It's THE sound I've been after for years. I can't imagine that there might even be "better".

I played a Cheiftan 2x12 about 6-7 years ago, didn't strike me as anything special, but I was into korn-pone metal at the time. Couldn't imagine paying the sticker price of $900 for a used at the time. If I only knew.....

18. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Love my 1996 Matchless Cheiftain. Big lows and shimmering highs, I run my bass and mids on 10 and the high and presence about 5. I'm soon going to retube it with JJs and I hope it darkens the amp slightly. The thing has some balls though as does my friends 1997 Chief. Both are seen here (left is the Cheif, right the Cheiftain):

[​IMG]

19. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

cloth, you need some new bulbs, mang!

20. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Nice to see ya here, Adam.
    Great report!