1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Matchless or Bad Cat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bradders, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Bradders

Bradders Member

OK - looking for opinions on this connundrum......

Do I want a Matchelss or a Bad Cat? Are they the "same" - there appear to be (more than) striking similarities between certain Matchless models and their Bad Cat "equivalents"......front panels, tubes and layouts, descriptions etc.

If I was looking for an DC_30 why not get a brand new Black Cat......take the cost out of it for the sake of argument.

Anyone A/B's those puppies ( not necessarily the exact models but similar) and have an opinion to share as that would help me a lot.

thanks
    Bradders

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Haven't AB'd, but I like the BadCat. James is a great guy too.

3. Bradders

Bradders Member

yeppahhhhhhh - I have a Cub II and love that amp.....jonesin' for a hot cat or black cat....but got to thinking about a Chieftain/clubman/HC/DC etc....heeeeeeeelp ;)

4. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

It would be hard to go wrong with anything from either BadCat or Matchless. I've got a Matchless DC-30, which came before the BadCat Black Cat. They're basically the same amp, with a few tweaks to the Bad Cat. Sonically, the Matchless is grainier and has a looser bottom end. I like it. Some people may prefer the "smoother" texture of the Black Cat. My advice is to play them both and see which one you like.

On the other hand, I've also got a Black Cat Hot Cat 15. Matchless doesn't make anything like the Hot Cat, so if you're looking for High Gain in a 15 watt amp, then Bad Cat.

Bad Cat doesn't make anything like the Matchless Clubman or Chieftan.

Eitherway, you'll find some incredible amps.

Oh, I hope you've got a strong back, because these amplifiers are HEAVY!

5. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I played a bunch of Bad Cats last week, I've owned a few Matchless amps as well. The Bad Cat amplifiers definitely prevail where distortion and gain comes in to play, whereas the Matchless amps definitely prevail at clean/grainy tones.

6. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I totally agree.

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

what has been said above me is very true, to my knowledge. I even got very similar tones through a Hot Cat and a DC-30, A/Bing them (I know! blasphemy!). But you will find a lot of similarities, with a few tweaks. You really need to try both. They are both very very responsive amps, with very musical tones. You won't get the buzzsaw distortion out of any of em! :)

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

Is there a real difference between pre- and post-Sampson era Matchless amps? I played a newer DC30 at a store the other day, and it sounded really good.

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

anyone that isnt trying to sell you a pre-sampson at an inflated price just because of when it was made will tell you no.

10. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

+1 to that. Check out the new Nighthawk from Matchless if you want something easier to grab and go than a DC30 or Black Cat. Still pretty heavy!

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

The gear nuts on this page, who usually can't agree on what day it is, agree: There's no difference between old and new Matchless.

But people trying to sell you their amps try to squeeze a few more bucks out by claiming old Matchless is somehow better.

Kiwi

12. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

You might run a search on the topic. Short version: Matchless tends to have a looser bottom and more of an old-school feel, maybe a touch less gain than Bad Cat. Bad Cat has a tighter bottom end, maybe a little more modern sound, tighter gain.

But they're both incredible amps, and somewhat similar to each other.

Kiwi

13. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

I have to throw out a plug for the Hot Cat. Very versitle

14. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

Can't go wrong with either. If you want more gain check out the Hot Cat or Star Gain Star....Mark Sampson's new company and amp.

http://staramplifiers.com

15. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Tone wise in general, no.
    Buying a Sampson era Matchless, there is one difference.
    It will hold it's value if not climb over time.
    The proof is in the puddin'.
    Amps that are broken-in (componets, and speakers ) have a slightly looser feel.
    The comparison is like an old shoe ( more comfy ) to a new one....but...you will need a re-sole alot sooner on that old shoe than the new one!

16. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I like the Bad Cat Black Cat 30r more than the Matchless DC-30. I prefer the smoother sound and tighter low end of the black cat. I've had quite a few of them and I prefer the models with the toggle switch for the master, rather than the push/pull. I think the did some tweaks to the circuit, because the overdrive sounds better on the newer models.

With that said, Matchless has Bad Cat beat in the customer service dept. Phil is one of the best in the business. Bad Cat has a lot to learn about customer service. Hopefully, they will get better in the future and I may buy another amp from them.

17. amc

amc Member

I have a Matchless Chieftain [2X10 combo] and a Badcat Tremcat[1X12 combo].
    Construction quality seems to be equal
    Both are extremely well built. Both are HEAVY!

The sounds from these 2 amps are quite different due to the design
    differences between them. Both amps sound and feel great.

Though there are sonic differences, both amps share that extra
    MOJO that seem to be part of the original Matchless sound.

Try them all, buy the one that speaks to you

amc

18. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

To address the Sampson era versus new Matchless amps, there are differences (cosmetically).

My 93 Clubman is a smaller unit than my 94 Chieftain. Its smaller by a about half a centimeter in width and slightly shorter. The face (imho) looks a bit more pleasing due to the tightness of the design. Plus, its not as heavy. The newer units wooden back plate is also twice as thick. Thats about it, I can almost get them to sound like twins though :), almost.

19. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

haven't dealt with matchless but bad cat has been amazingly helpful in the customer service department.

20. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

+ an amazing 1. Guess it's gotten a lot better since then? Who knows.

:)