Matchless owners!! Tell us your love affaire !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockinrobby, Oct 27, 2012.

1. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Bought a Matchless Clubman and just freakin love it!!!!!!!! It's not my only amp but its becoming my #1 Just an incredible amp!! It's like we're connected " yeah we are" !!

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'm with you. Matchless became an addition for me. My first, and maybe favorite Matchless amp, was a Clubman 35. It is just an amazing amp. I haven't looked back since and added a few to the collection! There is just something about the voice that they have that no other amps do. I'm with you brother! Matchless all the way!!!!!

3. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

Congrats on a great amp!
    I took some advice on this amp and like the results.
    If you ever want to try it out. I put slower gain tube in V1. Mine is 5751 but AT7 will work too. Also I got a solid state plug.

I found that stock the high end was pretty stout. Not to a fault. But still did this change and liked it.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

My Matchless Avenger 1x12 combo has been the 'end all' amp for me. So big, so open sounding, and can go from a thick grind to cleans approaching blackface territory with ease. Really a perfect amp. Bit heavy though, but that's a small price to pay for giant tone.

5. rockinrobby

Interesting ??? I 'm really digging the amp stock but perhaps after a a year of gig I'll think different ? Just love how crisp and full it's sounds very 3D !!!:bow

6. kush06

kush06 Member

In my experience the shrill high end in a Clubman comes from the EF86, not the preamp tube in V1. Thankfully the Presence knob has a pretty wide range, but I've always used Tesla EF86's and they're just fat fat fat sounding. Hard to find though. I love mine, had it since '96 but it was totally impractical to gig with, just way too freakin loud and it sounds pretty thin when the master isn't up.

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I am as big a Matchless fan as possible. Phil made the King Cobra prototype back in 2006 and I have used it for every gig since. Love it so much I bought a King Cobra combo as well.

Best amp I have ever heard or played, and different from anything else in the Matchless line. The verb and the trem are wonderful. Phil really created everything I want to hear in this amp.

8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I use them in the studio but they are too loud for most of the live gigs I do. They have magic for sure.

9. rockinrobby

I have had the pleasure of using a 4X10 Matchless cab.. This thing is loud but not thin.. So now, I'm using a matchless on 12" cabinet Just love the tone!!!!

I'm thinking that after a year of gig's I will know everything about what works and doesn't work for me.. Thanks for the ideas about tubes... :bow

10. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Clubman owner and lover hear. I've had it for 3 years and it instantly became my number one when I purchased it. I've gigged it heavily and it's never broke down. I just do a routine power tube swap and I'm good to go.

11. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

Matchless RV 1 gained up a bit into a 1st year octal pre amp Clubman, into a Matchless 2x12.... Perfection! Guitar volume knob from clean to scream..... The best rig I ever had.

12. rockinrobby

:beer Yeah man .. it's just amazing it's like a part of my right hand.. Killer clean with the marshall chime ... Not a Marshall, not a Vox, not a Fender,,, It's Just Matchless perfection.. :aok

13. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

I love my Matchless too! I've run the gambit as far as amps are concerned. I thought I hit the jackpot when I bought my /13 RPB, but then I played my Matchless Phoenix. It can be clean, semi dirty or flat out rock.

I also think there is a very specific sag, chime and grittiness that makes the Matchless stand out. It's kinda like listening to a record and saying, yeah that's definitely a strat. It's just got it's own mojo.

14. Rupe

Rupe Member

I've owned and/or played most of them...the Chieftain is my favorite and is still a part of my live rig.

15. koss59

koss59 Member

Love my C-30 reverb head. Hardly get to use it as most gigs just call for lower volume.
    Here's a quick demo I did last week at low volume though.
    http://youtu.be/JkuaLDECP1g

16. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

Hey guys, does any of their range have an amp with really good cleans that turn into marshall grind when cranked? Seemed like the king cobra sort of did that from demos Ive seen.

17. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Spitfire and 3015 owner here...my favorite Matchless circuits by far. Perfect headroom, chime, and punch when grinding...

18. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

YouTube "Matchless Phoenix", I recorded some quick walk throughs that sound like what you are looking for.

19. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I would love to find a 3015.

20. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I'm fairly fond of them :)
    Cheiftian 2x12
    Lightning
    TC30
    DC30
    Clubman 4X10
    Spitfire
    Chieftian head

favorite is the spitfire and chieftain still have the DC30 too.