Matchless Phalanx #1 pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shallbe, Sep 26, 2006.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

2. shallbe

This is my first attempt at pics, and I'm no photographer. Anyway, the amp is sitting on a Bob Burt vertical 2x12 cab. I also put my well-worn '58 reissue LP on top, inspired by some recent similar Gearpage guitar/amp poses.

Whatcha think?

3. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

schweeeeeeeeeeeet! Matchless amp bro!:D

Nice top oth that LP too!

4. shallbe

Thanks! I haven't been this excited about a piece of gear in years. That guitar has been played A TON over the last 9 years and still looks kinda new. I always have thought it looked authentic with the shade of sunburst and peek-a-boo flame it has.

5. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Nice Color match-up. How many watts is the Phalanx?

I'll bet that Bad Boy can sound awesome with the reverb.

Very Nice Amplifier.

6. shallbe

Bob, I will be playing this head at TP Crockmier's in Mobile through the Burt vertical both Friday and Saturday night. I can't wait! We will be at Traders on October 8th. Hope to see you then, my brother!

I do need to get a trip over to P'cola soon and visit with you and Clay, for sure. That would be a blast, with or without gear.

7. shallbe

Thanks! It is 35 watts. What I like about the ef86 and Phil's design is it can break up at the right volume (for me) yet still have ample headroom.

8. shallbe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of the amp in the dark, and a shot of my tried and true (homemade, obviously) pedalboard I've been using with my Jamison for years. EVERY pedal on the board sounds INCREDIBLE through this amp. The delay has never sounded so good, the vibe and chorus are just luscious.

This is the best clean sound I've ever gotten. It is big and sweet, never harsh. I would rather have this clean tone (ef86 and el34's) over any 6l6 or 6v6 clean sound that has come off my fingers. There is a fullness to the mids that keeps them clear, stringy and sustaining, without sounding congested or honky. Your expect a chord to die off but it doesn't.

I'm using position 4 on the tone switch with all my guitars. I couldn't be happier at this point. I'm not even interested in swapping any tubes (with the exception of finding a Mullard rectifier for dependability's sake).

No tweaking at all, no need--the tone is just there. This is a special amp.

9. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Is this amp any different than a clubman reverb except for also having tremolo?

10. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Hey Steve

That is just totally cool bro. I LOVE the look, both guitar and amp! Tell us about the Phalanx-what tubes, how mucho wattage, tone type etc?

Dan

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I see you use Ddarrio strings, good choice.

12. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

What heck is the Phalanx? Gotta give Phil a call.

<M

13. shallbe

Thanks Dan. It is 35 watts, cathode-biased pair if el34's, with an ef86 preamp. There are 12ax7's for the reverb, tremelo and PI. It is tube rectified.

The tone type is somwhat unique (at least to me, in terms of sound and feel). It has elements of a Vox in the clarity and sweet upper end, but the fullness and heft of the el34's to give it a bigger amp feel. It has a wide sonic spread. The bottom end is round, full and does not flub or mush out. It is just a very organic sounding amp. The only amp I've ever had that was this sensitive to pick attack is my Connie, but the Phalanx handles it in a sweeter, juicier way that is a little more rewarding for my style.

The master works real well, but I won't be using it unless we are playing a small place or our drummer is giving me looks about volume. :)

14. shallbe

It is an idea I had for an amp after owning a Phoenix for a while, which I sold due to Katrina realted expenses. I loved the Phoenix, but did not need two channels (I ran them together to get a super tone), plus I love the verb and trem on my Jamisons. I really use trem a lot on gigs, and Phil does it RIGHT. I talked to Phil, he said he had thought of doing something similar and let me know when he was ready to give it a shot. We talked features, cosmetics, tones, etc.

It took about three months. This is the first one, and probably a little bit different than the production model will be in that it has no loop. Phil hopes to take some orders for it at the next NAMM (have no idea of when NAMM is).

15. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Very kool...

Appears to have all the Jorgenson features. Nice lookin' amp. Betting it sounds killer.

Enjoy!

<M

16. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

ANy idea how it compares to a Chieftain...?

I see nothing on their site about it...

17. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

Hey Steve this is Nick.....I know I've said this a hundred times but I believe I'll come out this Saturday and hear your Matchless. Just out of curiosity what speakers do you have in your Burt cab? I'm going through a speaker war right now myself. Also, is that the "special" neck you were telling me about on the black tele? I can see the flame and it looks really nice!!

18. shallbe

You are right. It is very similar to a JJ30 with el34's, except with a trem and verb of Phil's design. It does sound killer.

19. shallbe

There is nothing on the site about it because this is the first one, and it should be introduced sometime later (NAMM?). There will be an el84 version as well, called something else. It has been a LONG time since I played a Chieftain, but my recollection is the verb is similair--I can't really make tonal references because I don't remember much except I thought it sounded great.

20. shallbe

Nick! I would love to see you this Saturday. The speakers in the Burt cab are the Emminence Cannabis Rex on bottom with the Red Fang on top. I really like the combo and anxiously want to know what it sounds like on that strange stage that TP has.

That is the neck I was telling you about. Birdseye like crazy. I like that Tele Custom---very versatile in terms of tones.