Matchless Reverb or non-Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrshanno, Feb 10, 2006.

1. mrshanno

mrshanno Member

I was considering getting a Matchless, specifically a Spitfire. I was looking at a non-reverb model. I've never had a non-reverb amp before. Any experiences with non-reverb amps? Normally I don' t use much reverb, probably the "1" setting or less on a "10" scale. Do you think I'd miss it, or would a reverb pedal do as well? Should I bite the bullet and just get a reverb model? Thanks for any thoughts...

2. davebc

davebc Member

DC-30 and Lightning 15 owner here, both non-reverb models.
    These amps have such a magical natural ambience that personally
    I don't miss the reverb. But, it's such personal taste that you should try it yourself.
    I'm guessing that given how little reverb you're using it may not be an issue.

3. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

I'd definitely go for the non-reverb model, but that's just me... I like non-reverb amps. I have one of the 63 RI Fender Reverb tanks that kicks the crap out of any built in reverb that I've heard. Plus I get a consistent reverb sound with it.

bluesaxe

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I use just a hint of slapback delay (from a pedal) instead of a hint of reverb......I think the delay sounds way cooler.

Also, those Matchless amps have so much rich harmonics (once you crank it up a bit), reverb only "gets in the way", IMO.

So my vote for you is "no reverb". Unless, of course, you want reverb. ;)

5. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

+1 You don't really need reverb with a matchless, but some people got to have it. But, I'm like riffmeister, I sometimes use just a hint of delay from a rockman stereo echo (sounds awesome).

:AOK

6. amc

amc Member

Get the reverb.

As good as a Matchless [or Badcat] sounds without reverb,
    having the choice to add extra ambience to the sound if
    the material calls for it makes it an easy decision.

Reverb is good

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

+1 on that. I'm sure an amp the quality of a Matchless will not hinder the tone when the reverb is switched off . . . Choices are good . . .

8. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I agree, no reverb on a matchless. I had a clubman and loved the amp. I got another one with reverb and imho it was only hitting at about 85% of the non-reverb. I also think the matchless sounds so good they don't need reverb. I will pick up another non-reverb this year.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Actually, I'm not sure about that. The reverb circuit, unless it can be truly bypassed (I had a Siegmund amp with a "reverb bypass" switch), will have some effect on the performance of the amp. The Dr Z Maz 18 (has reverb) and Maz 18 NR (non-reverb) is an example of this.....the NR model is less compressed and has a bit more gain. Not sure if it matters on the Matchless, though.

10. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I've noticed that there is a difference in tone w/Matchless amps with reverb - IMHO something gets held back tone-wise when the reverb gets turned up (same with the Cornford Hellcat). I've got a non reverb Clubman & it sounds magnificent without it. Like the others, I just use a slapback delay (TTE) and if I MUST use reverb on a song (duplicating my records) a EH Holy Grail works fine & doesn't impede the Clubman.

11. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Matchless reverb is about the worst I have ever heard. Totally artificial sounding. I mean AWFUL. Listen to a Chieftains or JJs. UGGHH!! I LOVE reverb and HAVE to have it. For the guys who say you will never miss it, do not buy it. I sure missed it. I used a Fender reverb and Peavey valverb in front of my DC 30 for a long time, but ended up selling it. My Bruno UG 30 has the best reverb in the world built right in. VERY good. Goodbye DC 30.

In any case, if you buy the Matchless, get it without verb and add a good one in front.

12. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

+1 but -1.
    The reverb feature on Matchless amplifiers imho is not the best, nor is it anywhere close to good. BUT, the Matchless reverb unit is absolutely luscious and imho, the best.

13. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

A C30 + Fulltone TTE in the effects loop = sonic bliss :RoCkIn

That said, I understand the reverb on the new Nighthawk is terrific.

14. nnocaster

nnocaster Member

I came across a clubman reverb, and I am thinking about purchasing it. However, I prefer no reverb on my amps. In fact, I might consider not purchasing it because of it. From my understanding, if not engaged, there should be no problem. Has anyone experienced loss of tone?

15. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The reverb on my Avalon is the most transparent, natural sounding amp reverb that I've ever heard. Much more so than any of the Fenders I have owned.

The Avalon is a new amp design, however. I'm not sure if the reverb design varies from model to model.

16. snoggin

snoggin Member

I have it on my King Cobra and i like that amp a bunch.. i also have older clubman and Cheiftan. Using the King at the moment for gigs.. They all sound relaly great to me..

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Totally disagree. I like how it sounds because it isn't obtrusive, it just adds a little depth is all. Not every amp is supposed to behave like a Fender.

18. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Dude....you are cracking me up!

Please don't see my thread about my Chieftain. I can't afford court costs! :)

19. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I think my two amps give me the best reverb on each end of the spectrum. My '68 PR gives me that big Fender reverb that works great for a lot of the roots rock, alt country stuff i do. My Chieftain's reverb is set just to add a little extra depth (as if the amp didn't have enough already!), and is used in an entirely different manner. I also tend to use the reverb on the Princeton more often than I do with the reverb on the Chieftain.