Matchless ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Feb 1, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Ok, I had a Badcat hotcat 30 and hated it, I mean hated it!
    So that always turned me off of Matchless amps for some reason.
    Wahte are the basic rundowns on the popular Matchless models guys?
    FWIW< I noticed them on the new Crossroads concert DVD, I wasn't taken by those tones at all.
    Care to make me a believer?

2. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

I think they do good low gain drive sounds. I wouldn't mind using one for low gain rhythm work. The thing is that I haven't heard a single tone from them that made me stop and decide that I had to have one. Every amp I've owned has had that one sound that hooked me in, but Matchless amps don't really stand out to me. I can't see anything that really justifies the pricetag, but that is just my opinion.

D

3. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

If this doesn't make you a believer, then you're simply not a Matchless kind of guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoTi-OI_NXI

If you hated the HotCat, I'd be very surprised if any of the Matchless models really flipped your switch.

D7

4. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

What kinda tones are you looking for?

To me the Hotcat isn't the traditional Matchlees/BadCat tone. I think there are no better amps for low to mid gain rock tones but to each thier own. The Hotcat was gear to players looking for a higher gain tone.

5. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Yeah, the hotcat was just, I dunno!
    Nope, don't liek that tone Grissom has ont hat video, gues I'll look elsewhere!
    Thanks guys.

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Frist, I would not base opinions on Matchless on one Bad Cat model.

Secondly, while most of the Matchless amps share the fat chime, cathode biased output and great construction, they don't all sound the same. You need to play some to hear and feel the difference.

Lastly, my Matchless Phalanx (which is now called the King Cobra) is the finest amp I've ever played for any style music. It has the best clean tones, best crunch and heavy gain sounds I have ever had. As a reference, I've been playing gigs since 1978. It is the most dynamic, and makes any effect sound better. After a year and a half, I'm still deeply in love.

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've got a few Matchless amps - Clubman 35, HC-30, and a Chief head - as well as a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R. They are different animals. The Hot Cat is much more over the top on the overdrive/gain than the Matchless amps that I have. But, there's a similarity to the tone. I guess it's the Matchless/Mark Sampson design in the tone. You can hear a lot of Matchless qualities in the Hot Cat. Chime and jangle on the cleaner tones, and those greasy harmonics when pushed. But, as mentioned above - the Hot Cat is a different take on the Matchless like tone. If you didn't like the active/interactive eq on the Hot Cat - most Matchless amps are that way too. It just takes some getting used to. I find it easy to dial in great tones. I agree with Shallbe - I find Matchless - and Bad Cat - to be some of the finest amps made with really amazing tone.

That Grissom clip, to me, really defines the pushed Matchless tone (that's a Clubman 35). I guess it that didn't go it for you - maybe Matchless isn't the right choice for your tones. But, I would recommend checking them out if you get a chance. You never know - you may find a model that really hits you!

8. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Perhaps it's just a matter of personal taste. I think that the Clubman is one of the best clean to slightly dirty tones on the planet. I have Phoenix head, and it is unbelievable to my ears. I use the 12AX7 channel (rather than the EF86 channel) for dirt...cranked. I am a Marshall guy at heart, and while some amps have come close to having "it", something always seemed flat/2-dimensional. The Phoenix is the first amp I have owned that drips that extra bit of juiciness that I hear on 60's and 70's rock records but never could find in person.

9. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Matchless clubmans are tough to beat for low gain/ cleans.

10. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Very True!!:BEER

11. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

A couple of comments: to me, bad cat and matchless do not sound the same.
    I prefer Matchless and currently use a Clubman. I love Lightnings as well and will get another one some day. The DC is an awesome amp too and is an amp everyone should try. The thing that you need to hear is that a matchless might not always sound good in a bed room or garage by itself but in a band they cut through like nothing else.

They really sound great live.

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a Clubman this week and wonder if anyone knows the inner workings of these amps, here's my questions:

1. Amp uses a GZ-34 can you swap it out with anything else?

2. There are two inputs, are these inputs similar to an old Fender, you know high and low gain or is one using the EF86 and the other the 12ax7?

3. It seems like the tone controls add gain, is this true? Maybe not but they seem to add something, harmonics possibly.

4. I tried some Winged "C" tubes inthe amp but seem to prefer the JJ's anyone have a favorite tube for this amp?

5. If I was to get another cabinet either 1x12 or 2x12, I was thinking a good speaker for this amp would be either the Tone Tubby's or a E=minence Canibas Rex, any thoughts?

I used it during practice On Wednesday with a 1x12 ob cabinet with a Eminence Wizard in it. Playing around the house sounds good but live really sends this amp to another level. I coun't believe how touch sensitive it is, what a fun way to play, almost makes me want to sell all my overdrives.

If anyone could answer any of the questions, I'd sure appreciate it.

13. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

So is the Phoenix fatter sounding than the Clubman? More Marshally?

14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Harryjmic

I would not swap rectifiers but It might be possible.

The tone does add drive but the master is a real master turn it all the way up and it is out of the signal. Then use the volume for, well volume. This is my favorite way to play the amp.

To me bass below 11 and treble at 11-1 (o'clock) sounds best. The presence will poke your eye out if not used sparingly.

I think the second input has a cap to tame the brightness. There is no 12AX7 side as the EF86 is always in the path and an integral part of this amps tone.

Make sure you get a good EF86 and some decent power tubes and your amp will sound killer.

15. brianf

brianf Member

The Hot Cat 30 is not a true comparison to the DC 30 matchless as the tubes are EL34s on the Hot Cat and 4 x EL84s on the DC 30 or other Bad Cats as well.

To me when I think BADCAT and MATCHLESS I still think EL84 even though both makers have truely expanded their offerings.

Sorry you did not like your BADCAT.

brianf

16. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Yes and yes to my ears. The Clubman has the chime that is great for cleans, but the bottom end gets a bit loose when pushed hard. The Phoenix doesn't have the chime of the Clubman, but the 12AX7 channel cranked can do fat Zep tones like it's going out of style. I used to chalk up that little extra bit of tone I was missing to studio magic. The Phoenix just has this extra fat/juiciness that I haven't been able to find in other amps. Again...I am mainly speaking of the 12AX7 channel. Most people use the EF86 channel for the dirty channel, but I think that the 12AX7 channel is the real heart and soul of the amp. Phil Jamison uses the Phoenix the same way. It sounds Marshall-like, but there's no harshness or edginess to it.

17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'd call both equal - settings dependent (volume too!).

18. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

Try a Matchless C-30 line of amps and you will change your mind. Great Cleans up to tasty dirt. Add pedals and you are in heaven.

What style of music do you play?
    What guitars do you use?
    What are your influences?

19. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

You might want to check out the Star line of amps. Made by Mark Sampson, this is his current company. I have a Sirius Reverb 30 and it is hands down the best amp I've ever owned. The cleans are spectacular. I've owned matchless, Divided by 13, and some other boutique amps and none had the "it" factor that the Star has. Anyway IMHO it is the best amp I've ever played.

20. dave s

dave s Member

The biggest 'shock' of playing through Matchless amps is the speed at which the signal is delivered. I can see how people could be taken aback by that inherent characteristic.

When I started playing through my Clubman rig, it was the 3D tone that I focused on more. But you do have to get used to the tones coming OUT of the amp seeming before you even play them!

dave