• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Matchless SC-30 for home use

znerken

I am considering buying this amp for home use, cause well, I only play at home. Now, before you shoot me, and tell me I am retarded. Please look at this guy:

He has great great sound, in that tiny studio of his.. Check out his other videos! Is he using a 2x12 or a 1x12? Found a image of his studio:

Is it even a DC/SC30? I think so?

And also, I currently own a Suhr Bella, which I run at 22 watt and volume around 2. I think it sounds good as well. However, it rattles, so I am looking for something else.

I read people writing it's very loud. But is it really louder than the Bella at 22w, when you run it at 15 watt? I mean, 15 watt is a lot less than 22?

Last edited:

sickboy79

Can't speak for the Bella but, have an HC-30 head that I use all the time. Fantastic amp. Yes, LOUD! It has a master but, you need to get it up past 10 oclock or so to get the goods. Below that, it can be a little thin at certain settings. If you want to go the C-30 route I would highly recommend an attenuator.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
Home use it will be fine if you can turn it up. If you can't turn it up, it will sound decent but I agree it will sound a bit thin compared to what it is supposed to sound like.

On 15w setting it's still pretty darn loud, especially on the pentode channel when you open it up. I imagine the Bella is pretty loud turned up too but the Matchless will likely have less bass and a lot more midrange.

gtrbarbarian

Gold Supporting Member
I'd recommend the Ceriatone muchle$$ dz30, which I own and can vouch for, having played it against a real c-30. Mine is an early model that came with the push/pull master, ala a real matchless. I didn't like it, and switched it out for a PPIMV which sounds great at low volumes. Since that time, Nik has made the switch to PPIMV on this amp by default. Both the 12ax7 and ef86 channels get copious amounts of gain. Does it sound better turned up to gig volume? Yes, as with any amp, speaker movement is part of the equation. Also , originally I had this amp in a cabinet with a Celestion g12h30, which was too dark for this amp...I switched it out for a Scumback Scumnico, and now it's one of my best amps.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
It sounds better at low volumes than other amps at low volumes.

It sounds better at high volumes than other amps at high volumes.

To me, the question is more one of efficiency. Do you want to spend $2K+ (on any amp) in a situation where you won't use all the amp has to offer? Or, is it better to spend $300.00 (??) on a Blues Junior that will certainly suffice given your limited applications?

IMHO, it would not be well though of by neighbors even on the 1/2 (15 watt) setting beyond noon on the volume control. And the temptation will be there. Wide open, it's the sound of the gods.

The master works great.

And I'm pretty sure it's a DC-30. And it's crazy heavy.

znerken

To me, the question is more one of efficiency. Do you want to spend $2K+ (on any amp) in a situation where you won't use all the amp has to offer? Or, is it better to spend $300.00 (??) on a Blues Junior that will certainly suffice given your limited applications?

IMHO, it would not be well though of by neighbors even on the 1/2 (15 watt) setting beyond noon on the volume control. And the temptation will be there. Wide open, it's the sound of the gods.

The master works great.

That’s a valid point. But at 22 watt, i never go above 2 on my Suhr . Spending the money is the only reason I can survive my day job. I guess 2x12 is overkill though. I tried three Fender amps, terrible quality. That’s why I buy expensive.

znerken

Home use it will be fine if you can turn it up. If you can't turn it up, it will sound decent but I agree it will sound a bit thin compared to what it is supposed to sound like.

On 15w setting it's still pretty darn loud, especially on the pentode channel when you open it up. I imagine the Bella is pretty loud turned up too but the Matchless will likely have less bass and a lot more midrange.
Well more midrange sound awesome.

znerken

The master works great.

Since it sounds better than other amps at low volume, perhaps it sounds even better than the Bella? I mean, I don’t know what classify as low volume, but I play at a level my hearing accepts. I can’t go a lot higher before it becomes uncomfortable, but I have really sensitive hearing. I also sit very close to the amp. On the floor. If the amp is too low in volume, I feel like it doesn’t sound like anything at all. It sounds like it’s missing details. However at the volume I currently play, I feel it sounds very good! I play very tender though. I try not to hit things hard, as I feel it sounds much better being careful. Tim Pierce actually mentions this in one of his master classes.

Is expensive amps just about playing loud? I though you also paid for high quality parts and craftsmanship. Which fender has absolutely nothing of. I had a Princeton 68 earlier, which sounded like ****, at the same volume.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Since it sounds better than other amps at low volume, perhaps it sounds even better than the Bella? I mean, I don’t know what classify as low volume, but I play at a level my hearing accepts. I can’t go a lot higher before it becomes uncomfortable, but I have really sensitive hearing. I also sit very close to the amp. On the floor. If the amp is too low in volume, I feel like it doesn’t sound like anything at all. It sounds like it’s missing details. However at the volume I currently play, I feel it sounds very good! I play very tender though. I try not to hit things hard, as I feel it sounds much better being careful. Tim Pierce actually mentions this in one of his master classes.

Is expensive amps just about playing loud? I though you also paid for high quality parts and craftsmanship. Which fender has absolutely nothing of. I had a Princeton 68 earlier, which sounded like ****, at the same volume.

I think it will sound (and feel) different than the Bella. (I've never played a Bella). Brighter, gritter, probably less headroom, more chimey, more airy. More delicate. Immediate attack- the notes FLY off the fingerboard. With normal rectifier, it does not compress. Hit the strings hard, they hit back hard. Stunning touch sensitivity.

Here:

I think this one shows how the high end "zing" is included in almost any way you play the amp:

And in terms of high quality and craftsmanship, its as good as it gets. World class pedigree. Fundamentally unchanged since it's introduction- that's how right Matchless got it to begin with. Arguably, along with Mesa, the beginning of the whole boutique amp experience.

znerken

I think it will sound (and feel) different than the Bella. (I've never played a Bella). Brighter, gritter, probably less headroom, more chimey, more airy. More delicate. Immediate attack- the notes FLY off the fingerboard. With normal rectifier, it does not compress. Hit the strings hard, they hit back hard. Stunning touch sensitivity.

Here:

I think this one shows how the high end "zing" is included in almost any way you play the amp:

And in terms of high quality and craftsmanship, its as good as it gets. World class pedigree. Fundamentally unchanged since it's introduction- that's how right Matchless got it to begin with. Arguably, along with Mesa, the beginning of the whole boutique amp experience.
Nice! What you say about their quality, is the reason I want one! I have had 4 amps in a couple of amps. Way too much bad quality out there.

What you describe about the sound is actually how I would describe Kazuki’s tone, wouldn’t you agree?

Last edited:

tguyfr

I have a King Cobra 2x12 combo (basically a DC30 with EL34). It’s a brutal amp and it can be dangerous for your ears, even with the master on. I played it for years in a large bedroom, feeling too much sound pressure to play for hours. I recently put it in my living room and it’s better now because it has the space to breathe. So, it’s not a bedroom amp in my opinion. It’s a savage beast.

znerken

I have a King Cobra 2x12 combo (basically a DC30 with EL34). It’s a brutal amp and it can be dangerous for your ears, even with the master on. I played it for years in a large bedroom, feeling too much sound pressure to play for hours. I recently put it in my living room and it’s better now because it has the space to breathe. So, it’s not a bedroom amp in my opinion. It’s a savage beast.
Suggestions to matchless amps that fit in the bedroom/home studio then? Don’t want a small looking child amp! Ideally Mesa or matchless. Perhaps a Lonestar combo is a better match?

tguyfr

Maybe smaller Matchless ? Or just a head with an OX ? I have 6V6 Bruno head which is way better to play at moderate volume, but it won’t do the Matchless thing. Nothing compares to the dynamic of a Matchless and the build quality is unrivalled.

znerken

Maybe smaller Matchless ? Or just a head with an OX ? I have 6V6 Bruno head which is way better to play at moderate volume, but it won’t do the Matchless thing. Nothing compares to the dynamic of a Matchless and the build quality is unrivalled.

What matchless amp is Suhr Bella eqviliant? I thought the DC30 perhaps was that. Is 2X12 stupid for my use?

Lwilliams

I don't play 7 strings. That would be too many.
Gold Supporting Member
That is a DC30 in the video. And, the SC and DC 30 are VERY LOUD!!!!!!!! ---- even on the 15W settings.

I toured with both a DC and a SC. Even on concert stages, I had to be very careful with volume and still get the sound I wanted.

I recently bought a BadCat Cub III 15. Now, the is a very, very similar circuit, same tubes......but the K-Master volume is incredible. You can get the cranked tone at bedroom levels.

BadCat has the Legacy (handwired) and Player (circuit board) models. I suggest the Legacy if you really want THAT tone.

The BadCat will get you to Matchless tone without killing your ears. I don't use my Matchless amps at home. I only use my BadCat.

znerken

That is a DC30 in the video. And, the SC and DC 30 are VERY LOUD!!!!!!!! ---- even on the 15W settings.

I toured with both a DC and a SC. Even on concert stages, I had to be very careful with volume and still get the sound I wanted.

I recently bought a BadCat Cub III 15. Now, the is a very, very similar circuit, same tubes......but the K-Master volume is incredible. You can get the cranked tone at bedroom levels.

BadCat has the Legacy (handwired) and Player (circuit board) models. I suggest the Legacy if you really want THAT tone.

The BadCat will get you to Matchless tone without killing your ears. I don't use my Matchless amps at home. I only use my BadCat.
If it really is that loud, which makes it practically useless in anything but live performances in front of a huge crowd.. why doesn’t Matchless makes a relaxed version which works at more normal volumes?

I don’t understand loudness. I wish there were more strict laws regarding volumes on concerts... as a side note. I would imagine the volume I play on at home, could easily be heard for a little crowd.

Mejis

Silver Supporting Member
An C30 is a loud amp but not unusually so compared to other big iron rigs. I’ve had an SLO, Komets etc. side by side with it and they’re much harder on the ears when cranked.

That said, low volume distortion is not what the C30 does best - I find it to be more like a NMV amp in that regard. If you’re okay playing clean to edge of breakup it’s excellent for home, but if you live in higher gain realms you need to either crank it or use pedals. The master is certainly usable but the distortion is a bit thin until you open it up.

oansun

I read people writing it's very loud. But is it really louder than the Bella at 22w, when you run it at 15 watt? I mean, 15 watt is a lot less than 22?
That’s not really how it works. 15 and 22 watts are going to be about the same loudness. Also, the kind of tube used gets amps louder and such. There is really a lot to it. Your rattle on the Bella is pretty common on a combo and it might also happen with the Matchless. You should probably get a head and cab tbh, it’s going to be more expensive but if you can hear the rattling already, you’re likely to at the volume you play. That being said, I’m always impressed by matcjelss

Trending Topics

Top Bottom