• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Matchless SC-30 for home use

znerken

An C30 is a loud amp but not unusually so compared to other big iron rigs. I’ve had an SLO, Komets etc. side by side with it and they’re much harder on the ears when cranked.

That said, low volume distortion is not what the C30 does best - I find it to be more like a NMV amp in that regard. If you’re okay playing clean to edge of breakup it’s excellent for home, but if you live in higher gain realms you need to either crank it or use pedals. The master is certainly usable but the distortion is a bit thin until you open it up.
Well I am a pedal dude, so I want a pedal platform. If I turn off my pedals, my Suhr sounds really really clean. I would never get the tubes to scream without a TS and compressor in front. The compressor has volume and sustain at 12 o clock. So I guess the Matchless will work then, that’s what you say? I basically want the same tone as the videos I posted. Him and I use many of the same pedals also. Same guitar also.

znerken

Also, is a Mesa Lonestar a better pedal platform, like the Suhr Bella, or is the Matchless just as good?

Lwilliams

I don't play 7 strings. That would be too many.
Gold Supporting Member
If it really is that loud, which makes it practically useless in anything but live performances in front of a huge crowd.. why doesn’t Matchless makes a relaxed version which works at more normal volumes?

I don’t understand loudness. I wish there were more strict laws regarding volumes on concerts... as a side note. I would imagine the volume I play on at home, could easily be heard for a little crowd.
Try the Matchless SC Mini. i have not heard one yet, but it supposed to be a aurally small version of the C-30 platform. I plan to get one soon.

pirateflynn

Silver Supporting Member
@znerken ... Kazuki is not playing very loud in the first video you posted. I can hear some picking and bit of the acoustic sound under the amplified signal and his tone is cool. I have a Spitfire that is great turned up but it also works well at bedroom levels. I say go for it. You'll always wonder if you don't try it for yourself.

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
Matchless SC30 is one of the greatest amps ever. I had a red one and, in a moment of insanity, traded it off for a Badcat.

You can play that in a bedroom or a bar. It is suitable for any place.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
If it really is that loud, which makes it practically useless in anything but live performances in front of a huge crowd.. why doesn’t Matchless makes a relaxed version which works at more normal volumes?

I don’t understand loudness. I wish there were more strict laws regarding volumes on concerts... as a side note. I would imagine the volume I play on at home, could easily be heard for a little crowd.
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. You're funny!

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, the C30 will obliterate the bella in volume- even at 15w. If you have the funds, do it! Cool amp.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I bought a new '96 Matchless DC 30 and owned it for about 7 years. It was an amazing amp for all the reasons that have been well documented in plenty of TGP threads and guitar mags. Ultimately, I came to the realization that it was the perfect amp for a touring player who does 1,500 seat theaters and up. I got so tired of having to keep that amp on 2 or 2.3 that I sold it. I did have the combo made into a head/cab by Mark Sampson as he was just about to launch Bad Cat, so the head/cab were the flat-black tolex that Bad Cat launched in; sold the head, I still have the 2X12 cab. Even at 15 watts a Matchless C30 or DC30 is Hella-loud, but an amazing Hella-loud. I could not justify keeping it for my playing circumstances. It was like owning a Ferrari and driving 55mph or less every day. YMMV

drc

If you really want the sound of a C30 figure out which side you like better (the Lightning or the Nighthawk side) and get one of those and send half of the speaker output to a load box. Even at 7 or 8 watts that 15 watt amp isn't really gonna be a bedroom amp. Getting a 15 watt alnico speaker pumping a bit is just as much part of the sound in my opinion. Maybe a Lil Elvis, a Badger or the Mini Matchless would be a good idea to get that Vox-ish vibe but with the ability to play at coffee house levels. I don't really use any kind of overdrive (nor the master) with my C30 but I can imagine using it as a pedal platform into the EF86 channel using the low input would be pretty cool. It's a beautiful amp that I'm sure you will enjoy should you buy one. That said, the comment above about buying a Ferrari to drive the speed limit does apply.

Lwilliams

I don't play 7 strings. That would be too many.
Gold Supporting Member
The Matchless SC Mini is based on the EF86 side of the C-30. And it is true single-ended class A with one EL84. And, only 6 Watts.

Like I said earlier, I will get one soon.

znerken

@znerken ... Kazuki is not playing very loud in the first video you posted. I can hear some picking and bit of the acoustic sound under the amplified signal and his tone is cool. I have a Spitfire that is great turned up but it also works well at bedroom levels. I say go for it. You'll always wonder if you don't try it for yourself.

Then I could get the 2x12 version? Hehe. Two choices between speakers to mic, is better than one?

The comment about the Ferrari, I would say 90% of Ferrari’s never get used to their potential, and is often in storage, taken out once a year.

If Kazuki can sound that good with a 57 mic??

However, I wonder if the boogie or the DC35 is best as a pedal platform. That’s a important point for me.

tguyfr

Well, in fact loudness is part of the Matchless magic. When you disable the master, the windows and everything else in the room start to shake. Then you get the most crazy clean sound of the galaxy. Add the right pedal or preamp and you have better high gain sound than any amp on earth. But it might get loud.

znerken

Well, in fact loudness is part of the Matchless magic. When you disable the master, the windows and everything else in the room start to shake. Then you get the most crazy clean sound of the galaxy. Add the right pedal or preamp and you have better high gain sound than any amp on earth. But it might get loud.

I don’t like volumes that high, so I never play it. I have never understood it either to be honest. Why should it be uncomfortable to play? Why should there be a need for using ear protectors? Pardon my ignorance, but this got to be something that is with us from the Stone Age. “Loud is cool”. Not. You don’t hear the true qualities of audio quality if it is extremely loud, in my mind. That’s one of the ways I distinguish if a “hifi” expert actually is a expert. If he plays at a comfortable volume where I can hear the speakers quality, then he knows his stuff. If he plays as loud as possible, then he don’t care about hifi at all.

Also, when I look at how guitarist set up their gear on stage, I mostly see them using a mic in front of the amp? I guess I just don’t understand.

znerken

So I talked to Phil at matchless

Perhaps a Avalon is the way to go?

And to avoid that damn rattle in the future, separate head and cab?

znerken

Just called my dealer, he said they special order a DC-30 15 watt version from Matchless. Perhaps that could be a good fit?

oansun

I don’t like volumes that high, so I never play it. I have never understood it either to be honest. Why should it be uncomfortable to play? Why should there be a need for using ear protectors? Pardon my ignorance, but this got to be something that is with us from the Stone Age. “Loud is cool”. Not. You don’t hear the true qualities of audio quality if it is extremely loud, in my mind. That’s one of the ways I distinguish if a “hifi” expert actually is a expert. If he plays at a comfortable volume where I can hear the speakers quality, then he knows his stuff. If he plays as loud as possible, then he don’t care about hifi at all.

Also, when I look at how guitarist set up their gear on stage, I mostly see them using a mic in front of the amp? I guess I just don’t understand.
You might not

tguyfr

Though I share your opinion regarding volume, it’s a fact that a good loud amp sound better that a little one, especially with crunch sounds, because it adds the bass that lacks in tiny amps which can sound harsh. You just can’t get certain sounds at low volume, and I don’t speak of high gain. Today we have modern tools as the OX to play loud amps at human levels.

Average Joe

I wouldn't use my HC-30 for a home amp. Not that it doesn't sound good at every volume, but it comes alive at band volumes.

znerken

I probably sound like a old man, haha. But yes, I do realize pushing the amp gives a certain quality to the sound. Hendrix did this a lot in the studio:)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom