• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Matchless SC-30 for home use

znerken

Seems like I get some(perhaps) deserved hate here. Regarding the Bella, as I said, I love Suhr a lot, but my options are as follows:

1. Send it to Suhr, which will be very expensive. And yes, I can ask the dealer to do that, but will cost me a minimum of 200 euro. That’s my own fault, since I bought the amp in another country.
2. Ask a technician to take a look at it. That’s a 3-4 hour drive for me, which I much rather spend playing guitar.

So, it’s not like I am completely brainless. I took a analysis of the situation before thinking of getting another amp. YES, I know combo amps often rattle. That’s also a reason I started considering a new amp, to get a separate head. I have tried 4 amps here over the last months, they all rattled. They were all much worse than the Bella. And yes, you will probably say “fix it yourself ffs”. But no, first of all, I am not good at stuff like that. Also, the amp is like 1 month old. Played totally like 20 hours. I don’t want to start putting my big head and hands inside there, messing around. I play guitar. Fixing amps and guitars, I ask others for help.

As I said, Suhr is one of my favorite companies, and I just ordered a Custom Classic from suhr, due to personal communication with John himself. They are a 10/10 company. Perhaps I’ll even get a separate Suhr Bella head and amp. How’s the Bella for home use?;)

Last edited:

znerken

Heaven forbid you ever have a tube fail.
You’re quite rude..

So you’re totally fine with “messing” around on your brand new car, are you? Even though there’s a sound leak in the exhaust pipe, there’s no need to take it to the dealer. It’s a easy fix for yourself, as long as you can lift the car up. If I have to chang all tubes after 400 hours of use, cause one failed, I would do it without hesitation. But I don’t want to start to look for a rattle, at one specific pitch, and spend hours locating what the source is. It can be very time consuming. Also, I don’t want to do that on a brand new amp. I wouldn’t want to fix my brand new car either.. if I had one! I buy new to have a honeymoon period. Where I just smile by turning my amp on. That feeling sorta disappears in this case. I play guitar, I don’t do debugging of amps.

I could fix your brand new defective computer in 30 minutes. But still, if I get a defective brand new Mac, I still send it back to Apple....

Last edited:

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Call it rude if you wish, but you're being silly.

If the issue is the rattle, fix the rattle. It's not complicated. You simply play your guitar and start working your way around the amp holding things stationary to see when the rattle stops. Then you secure that item. @Husky has already offered tips and may have some more. Or buy the head & cab cabinetry from Suhr and move the guts over. Easy.

If you want a Matchless, you should get a Matchless. They're cool amps. I've owned a DC-30 and Chieftain, both 2x12 combos. They are incredibly loud. 15W and a single speaker is a bit quieter, but if you're going to convince yourself that you're purchasing a low volume solution, you're deluding yourself. And if you think that by buying an amp locally you're ensuring that you're never going to have a rattle, you're deluding yourself again.

You should do what you want to do. It's your money.

znerken

Call it rude if you wish, but you're being silly.

If the issue is the rattle, fix the rattle. It's not complicated. You simply play your guitar and start working your way around the amp holding things stationary to see when the rattle stops. Then you secure that item. @Husky has already offered tips and may have some more. Or buy the head & cab cabinetry from Suhr and move the guts over. Easy.

If you want a Matchless, you should get a Matchless. They're cool amps. I've owned a DC-30 and Chieftain, both 2x12 combos. They are incredibly loud. 15W and a single speaker is a bit quieter, but if you're going to convince yourself that you're purchasing a low volume solution, you're deluding yourself. And if you think that by buying an amp locally you're ensuring that you're never going to have a rattle, you're deluding yourself again.

You should do what you want to do. It's your money.
I just wrote out why I don’t want to spend countless hours fixing amps^.. I want to play guitar. Also, it’s more expensive for me to get the amp fixed, than changing to something else. I am not “stuck” on matchless. I aired the idea of buying it, by starting what I hoped would be a informative discussion. I am not comfortable on moving the components to a separate head. But I am comfortable changing tubes. Sorry if that isn’t good enough. Sorry if a customer who owns a tube amp is supposed to be able to do the stuff you mentioned, and if he don’t, he’s silly...

Of course buying locally won’t make it guaranteed that you won’t have a rattle. But if it has a rattle, then I can deliver the amp to the dealer, and pick it up fixed the day after :) Also, as I’ve said, I’m thinking of going separate head, cause right now, my impression is that there’s a huge chance for rattle in combo amps. And at home use, you really hear rattle easily.

Do I end up on matchless, Mesa or Suhr? I don’t know yet...

Last edited:

Husky

Perhaps, but that’s why I’m thinking of going a non combo amp.. to avoid this in the future. Also, the Matchless amp I tried didn’t rattle at all. I’m not in the mood to spend time diagnosing and fixing a new amp. I rather play the guitar.
I can more the head to the headshell in 15 minutes, it is just some screws.
Which power tubes are in there ?
You might just have Filament rattle.
I know it isn’t fun to dig in to small issues on equipment but frankly, it’s a necessity for a musician and it could have easily happened on the way over there. Just because an amp is good today doesn’t mean it will stay that way forever. Luckily tube amps are pretty easy. It’s like riding a bicycle and not knowing how to put the chain back on. Or not doing your own setups and intonation. I even look at it the same as playing and the final tone. One thing unfortunately lacking in many of today’s young players is they don’t get technical and don’t know how or why their gear works, know nothing about impedance, never changed a speaker etc. it’s like having a good SLR and not knowing what ISO or aperture does. A chef who doesn’t know how to sharpen knives. It’s part of being a complete musician. Know your tools so you can never blame them.

Last edited:

Husky

I should also mention that I am also considering the Mesa Lonestar special with a head and cab. That head has a 5 watt setting also!
1W can still be blistering loud. My Badger will go down to 1/4W easy.
Honestly though when I want to play very quiet, I just grab the Katana head, I don’t like it for live or recording but for praticing and working on playing it is all you need probably way more that you need.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
All 4 amps have rattled? Are you sure it isn't something in the room?

hunter

znerken

Buy a good quality modelling amp and you can have great tones at usable volumes. All your problems, solved.
I mostly use my studio monitors, but when I want to enjoy myself, or record something, I power up that wonderful tube amp. It's a unbeatable feeling. Waiting for the amp to be warm, hearing the sound of the tubes getting warmer. The whole process.

znerken

It is easy to be fooled. Especially if you have limited experience. You tried them in another room?

hunter

The rattle was not the same. The Bella has what I think is tube rattle, at ONE specific pitch.

One of the Fender was a really bad production. I couldn't hear anything I played, no matter what. The whole cabinet rattled.

The other Fender was okay, just some rattle at some pitches. In the cabinet! But it had a terrible noisy reverb. In my silent room, the reverb made the amp barely useable.

and the room has 4 walls, one computer, one amp, carpet and a bunch of pedals. If the rattle was the same on all amps, then I would blame the room. But as I said, I have experienced tube, and cabinet rattle :)

The Bella is MILES ahead of Fender in terms of quality.. Just like their guitars are MILES ahead of Fender in quality.

Regarding heat. You can see Kazuki has a AC on the wall. I can understand why, haha. He probably loves to cool the room down. Running that Mesa Boogie in that tiny room.

Last edited:

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I play nothing but combos. Rattles are rare in my experience. Like I said it is easy to be fooled. But it sounds like you are satisfied you have it figured out. So if you have a tube rattle in the Bella, swap the tube(s). Better yet, get a modeler. Don't spend a lot of money. The amp isn't holding you back.

hunter

tguyfr

The only thing that rattles with my Matchless is... the room itself. Joke aside, I’d be sorry to see this thread derailing by off-topic comments. Playing on a Matchless or a Boss Katana is not the same experience at all, and though I sincerely think Matchless amps are not for bedroom players 1. I’m one of those :confused: and 2. I prefer 100 times play my Matchless at bedroom levels than any modeler I’ve ever played (and I played a lot). My advice is you can buy a Matchless if you can afford one, you won’t be disappointed, and if you have the room for it. A large living room will be easier than a tiny bedroom. Maybe clear panels will help you to push the volume (look at the Bonamassa’s soundcheck on Premier Guitar about dealing with volume - this guy is crazy !). And tell us about your room : do you live in a flat or a house ? I live in a large house but everybody can hear me from the street if I push the amp just a bit - windows closed. So, how will you deal with volume with your family and neighbors?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom