• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Matchless Spitfire

Hey guys, first post here. Looks like you guys have better taste in amps than the high gain exclusive Harmony-Central. Does anybody have any experiance with the Matchless Spitfire? I bought an amp that is based on this amp and its hard to find information about.

DGDGBD

First of all, welcome to TGP. Not sure if I can help, as I don't really have experience with a genuine spitfire. I've been using a clone that I built for the last eight years. What kind of info are you looking for?

DGDGBD

From what understand, the spitfire is pretty similar to the vox AC15. I guess the builder likes the soundof 6V6's. I really like mine. If I could get similar tones with more power and headroom, it would be my main gigging amp. If I could do it over, I'd build a 4-el84 version. What kind of speaker are you using?

[edit-after taking a look at a AC15 schematic, looks like they aren't very similar after all]

Its a one twelve combo, the speaker is a Fender 30 watt. Sounds great to me although I may upgrade later down the road. I love this amp man, I havent tried gigging with it yet but Im pretty sure it could keep up with a drummer, maybe the 6v6's give it improved headroom over the el84's?

bigeric

I just sold mine after 10 years. Many gigs. It is an excellent amp. I moved over to a Bruno. The spitfire is a classic. Highly recommended.

DGDGBD

I've used it gigging in a small room; and it would be great and mic'ed through a good sound system. I like a V30 speaker and lower (than stock value) bright cap (100pf).

tbar

Great amps , plug in and play. they take pedals very well.
But sound great on their own.

mrmuzikhead

I love those and the Lightning. Great amps. Could never cough up the dough for one. Went for a Trace Elliot Velocette. I guess it's the poor man's Lightning! All AC15 clones. Having a Lightning based amp built with NOS Matchless trannys at the moment. Should be cool.........

guitback

Built clone versions of both Lightning and Spitfire (also owned a DC-30). I prefer the Spitfire to the Lightning (although the Lightning was probably more versatile). Great amps. For me, right on the edge of not enough headroom -depends on your drummer.

tommytomcat

Circuit wise, this is a very very simple amp. Think of it as an enhanced 5e3 Tweed Deluxe. Paralled V1/input preamp for a little boost, fatness and touch sensitivity into a simple 2 cap tone control.. feeding a long tail PI. I would think the builder used 6v6's because they're more hifi than el84's. EL84's are very midrangy (IMO). No NFB, cathode biased..

Trending Topics