Sold Matchless The Baby TRADES ADDED

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs Emporium Archive' started by Michael_V, May 3, 2016.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I bought this new in 2011 from The Amp House and have loved it ever since. It replaced my Matchless Spitfire, to which it sounds identical but hits the sweet spot at a much lower volume. Recently changed all the tubes with the premium package from thetubestore (http://www.thetubestore.com/Matchless-Baby-Premium-Package). That's $100 worth of glass. Has been kept in my nonsmoking home and occasionally gigged at church where it was kept backstage.

It's 6 watts and has a 12 inch Celestion custom made for Matchless. It is VERY loud. I've been too hot on a stage with drummer and bass player with the volume set at 10 o'clock. Tons of clean headroom. Actually almost impossible to overdrive unless pushed with pedals, in which case it breaks up VERY sweetly. Takes pedals exceedingly well. My PGC into this is magic. Klon circuits sound amazing. All delays stay beautiful and clean. TS, Rat, FD2 are all just perfect. It's been a GREAT little amp that's more than met my needs.

Note that this amp is NOTHING like the dark and dirty Little Monster, which IMO did not sound like a Matchless at all. This sounds just like my Spitfire. It's a Matchless through and through.

More details from the Matchless website:

"The newest addition to the Matchless lineup! The Baby’s features may be streamlined and simple but the tone is anything but. The Baby delivers alternately shimmering and robust touch-sensitive cleans with an emphasis on the crisp highs. Powered by one 5AR4 rectifier tube, one EL84 and driven by one 12AX7. The Baby is ideal for professional studio work, playing in venues both large and small, and for home practice. The controls are volume, tone control and master volume. The Baby is painstakingly built by hand to tough Matchless standards utilizing the same rugged, high quality parts and components as all of the other Matchless amps."

The only difference from that description is that mine is one of the rare early ones with two 12AX7 preamp tubes so double the goodness!

Looks great and sounds amazing. I've never had an amp like this, but I'm feeling restless and need a change so it's on the block. Also comes with a custom made D2F padded slipcover. SOLD shipped and PP in the USA.

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A slight ding and some scuffing in the tolex in the bottom front corner of the left side. Otherwise pretty clean!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ships in custom fit amp box:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Simon likes this.
  2. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

How many watts, and what size speaker?

Michael_V likes this.
  3. Michael_V

6 watts with a 12 inch Celestion custom made for Matchless.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  4. Michael_V

5. ChadTOS

ChadTOS Member

Hello! I'm interested but I've never made a purchase via TGP. How do we proceed?