Matchless Tornado Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stu Cats, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Eventually, I will find one of these in a haystack. The only clip I can find is the one below. It sounds more pure, springy, and clearer than a Spitfire, with a thinner tone and less gain. I know it is a NMV compared to a Spitfire with it's MV, but other than tremolo, what are the differences?

2. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

Cool man. I became fixated on obtaining a Hurricane a while back. Took me five years to get one. In that time I saw two others but missed the sale, and also saw one not for sale, as well as another priced way too high. Saw exactly ZERO tornados in that time!!!

So right now I have a Spitfire I've had about 6 years and the Hurricane, both 1996 amps. Hurricane should be identical to the Tornado except it has a MV and only one HI input. I believe the Tornado has two inputs. Both should be identical to the Spitfire except 1)the added trem, and 2) both Hurricane/Tornado lack the parallel triode arrangement of the Spitfire preamp (that other half is now used for the trem circuit). However, they utilize a large DC coupling cap to compensate.

The Spitfire does break up a little quicker and the Hurricane is a bit cleaner longer. However I wouldn't say the Hurricane is thinner at all than the Spitfire.

3. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Thank you rmconner80 for your response, this is what I was looking for.

4. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Both of those amps sound great in the vid.

5. TXTONE

TXTONE Silver Supporting Member

The tornado is probably the most rare of the sampson era 15 watt offerings, and only came in a small box and a small head format. Killer little amp for sure.

6. Dave Selvey

Dave Selvey Member

I have a Matchless Tornado, Tele spank all the way, it' clean and loud!

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I haven't seen a Tornado in years. At least 10+ years. I'm sure it's an awesome amp.

8. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

The OP is an idiot.