Matchless tube help.....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by celestion101, Dec 12, 2005.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I'm playing a beautiful Chieftain 4x10 combo that I love, but I've noticed that it starts breaking up and compressing between 9:00 and 10:00 (even with single coils when I dig in). This seems a bit premature even for a 40 watter. When I use a mild boost it go into classic rock territory and sounds great, but I'd rather have that happen when the volume is cranked closer to gig levels. Again, I'm not talking much above bedroom level here. For a comparison, my D13 FTR37 maintains composure until it's between 10:00 and 11:00 (which is much louder than the Matchless at the same level). The D13 sports 6V6's, but I just thought I'd share the point for arguments sake. Phil (Matchless) just set me up with new power tubes (JJ's) and I'm thinking that it may be time to try some options. Suggestions??

2. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

Bad Cat recommends Ruby EL34's. You might give them a try.

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

what is the rectifier and first preamp tube.?

4. blueprint

blueprint Member

I had exactly the same problem with my chieftain 210.
    As it was a ten years old one bought used, I decided to change all the tubes.

It was the same, even badder...:eek:

To make a long story short, another amp tech changed the power tubes again.

Since, everything is perfect...:)

Morality:
    It's very sensitive to power tubes! Check them first.

5. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Hi Guys,
    I've tried a host of poweramp tubes without a noticable change. I then changed the rectifier tube to a Ruby (pulled from my Matchless Lightning for testing purposes)....still no big difference. Now I'll move to the preamp section but I need a little.....which is #1? Does anyone have a schematic, or at least an idea how the tubes are laid out? All of this said, the amp sounds wonderful, I just need more headroom.
    Cheers,
    Rick