1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Matchless v. Vox AC30 and the like.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rusty G., Aug 2, 2006.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a Matchless DC-30. The first channel is supposed to be modeled after an AC 30 and the second channel is supposed to be modeled after an AC 15. I've even got a Vox AC-15 with two 10's.

So, is there really a need for another "Vox" type amp. I keep thinking about a Vox AC30 with Celestion Blues. I'm obsessed with Celestion Blues. Maybe a new Vox AC30 Custom Classic with a pair of Blues. I'm wondering if it's just a riduclous case of bad "gear acquisition syndrome" or there's something to it. Maybe I should just order a pair of Celestion Blues or wait until the Celestion Blues come out and load a pair of them into the Matchless.

What do you guys say. My DC 30 is stock, which means it's loaded with a Matchless labelled V-30 and G12M (greenback). Is there enough of a difference between the DC 30 and a Vox AC 30 to warrant another purchase. Or, is it needless because the Matchless and Vox are pretty much interchangable and I can get everything a Vox AC 30 could give me, and more with the Matchless DC30.

What say you?

And as always, thank you in advance for your support/response.:dude

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

There definitely is a tonal difference. Some overlap perhaps but they are very different amps, great in their own respects!!!! Pick up an AC30CC2X...they are amazing.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I think different amps sonically. Especially with the Blues.

At $1600.00 for an AC30CC w/blues, I don't think you can miss.

4. gregc

gregc Member

Both great amps; owned em both, at the same time; similar, but different too, probably due to ther Blues mostly; loved em both but ultimately could not find reason enough to keep em both. The DC30 stayed.

5. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

+1

Blues are my favorite speaker and they sound like crap in a DC30. I tried and regreted the change. The stock speakers were carfully planned out for the DC. Stick with the plan.

An AC30 is a different dog. It all depends on what you are looking for. As great as a DC is (I've had a few and love 'em) they ain't no AC30. Different vibe. Both kill IMO.

<M

6. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Can't speak for the C30, but I tried mixing a Blue into a 2x12 cab that I run my Lightning into, and it sounded horrid. I also love Blues with the right amp, but they are not right for a Matchless -- for some reason they brought out a nasty high end sizzle that's not musical or pleasing. So as others have said, I wouldn't recommend picking up a pair of Blues for your C30.

My favorite speakers with my Lightning are the typical Matchless H30/Greenback mix. There's something about this speaker combo that just works perfectly for the Matchless design.

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Thanks for the responses guys. The direction I'm being pointed in is to leave the speakers in my DC30 alone and get a Vox AC330 CC with Blues. Am I right?

Anyone have a different experience or something different to add?

8. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Can't go wrong by owning both. I'd only add that you may want to check out a Hayseed too, for your Vox tone. Do a search for "Hayseed" and you'll see the amp discussed and compared to the AC30CC ad nauseum. I've owned both, both are great amps, but I kept the Hayseed.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yes, DO IT!

10. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

+ 1 on the Celestion Blue mojo. If Vox tone is your cup of tea which you already have, buy the Vox and the Hayseed then you'll have it all which is my motto. Both purchases are good choices and it may not be strictly more of the same depending on associated equipment and speaker choices. Cheapest thing to do is mix speakers in the DC30 just for different sounds but as pointed out in the posts that may not yield the results your looking for since amps are all voiced differently. It would seem obvious however, that the Vox amps were designed to specifically work well with Blues since they sell them that way IMO.

11. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I don't know the difference. See, I've got a Vox AC15 (1997) with two 10's. It doesn't sound like my Matchless, but it's in the same tonal ballpark, but not really the same thing. It records well, but the 10's don't break up like a 12 inch speaker.

As to blues, I don't have a real Celestion Blue. I do have a Weber Blue Dog 15 watt ceramic in my Fargen Mini-Plexi combo, which I run my Gabriel Voxer into and it sounds incredible. With my les paul, I'm able to absolutely nail the vintage sound that Free used on Alright now (which makes me think they used Celestion Blues on the recording). I need two of those in a cab for my Voxer.

Unfortunately, I live in Lafayette, Louisiana. . .there's no Guitar Center or Vox dealer here, so I can't play a Vox AC30. A couple of years ago I tried a Vox AC30 at a music store in Dallas with a Strat and Maxon Choral Flange. I bought the Choral Flange and I'm haunted by the sound. Absolutely the best clean sound I've ever heard with a guitar.

I have considered the Hayseed, but my thinking at this point is to get a real Vox if I'm looking for a Vox sound. After all, I've got a Matchless, which is based on the Vox sound. . .but it's not a Vox.

I'm just looking for some feedback from the guys that have both or have spent enough time with both to give me some guidance based on experience.

And thanks for all of the above responses!

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Well, I second the fact that the AC30 and the Matchless are very different cats. As to whether the AC30 is different enough from running the AC15 into a pair of blues in an extension cab, I can't speak to that. I think you'd be very happy with an AC30CC into a pair of blues (at least until you play a real JMI ;)

13. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I have the AC30CCH but don't have an open back 2 X 12 loaded with blues to try it with yet. I'm looking at the blues but darn they are pricey. The combo I heard at GC with the blues was certainly sweet. I'll try to post later on once the budget settles down from the MXR EVH 117R that is on my doorstep waiting for me right now when I get home, yeah don't laugh but I was an EVH nut in the 80's.

14. daz

daz Member

actually having built a dc-30 clone and comparing schematics to ac-30, the dc clean channel preamp is actually similar to a ac-30 top boost channel,noly difference is the dc-30 has an extra gain stage which gives it less headroom and more crunch.
    I modded mine back to ac-30 specs so I get nice cleans and crunchy ef86 dirty!

15. mild

mild Member

Daz, can you tell me more about this mod? I own a DC30, and enjoy the vibe of it greatly - but the fact that its always touted as being "not quite a JMI AC30" always irks me... (and nearly made me pull the trigger on an old AC a month ago... say NO to huge debt!)

Has it really made your DC more "vintage JMI-like"? Or just a new tonal expression?

Thanks, Jonathan

(Edit - Oh, and how'd you do it? Was it hard?)

16. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Ahhh, the fact you have the Voxer and are still questing for more tone is haunting me. The clips of that amp have been haunting me for months. I would love to hear that puppy in a 1x12 combo....especially if it handles humbuckers the way it's touted....

I snagged a used Hayseed a few days ago, once i get her crankin', if she doesn't scratch my itch I may be off to the 65 or the Voxer.....

Friggin gas.........

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

my only caveat about the vox AC30CC is corporate bullying that korg is inflicting upon small business people.
    i, for one, will never buy another korg product until this nefarious activity stops.
    the matchless DC30 is like a vox that has been working out in the gym, visits the tanning salon regularly, drinks fresh juice instead of dark ale, has stopped smoking and staying out late and has gone to miss manners school of etiquette. a jennings era vox or one of it's clones (hayseed, JMJ, JMI are the ones i'm familiar with) will be snotty, raw and raunchy when pushed past 2 o' clock on the volume knobby.
    love my DC30.
    am digging the hayseed 30 and the JMJ now too.
    same family, different personality disorders.

18. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

It's G.A.S. . .and it's a fact that there's no one "Be all, End all" amp. There's just different tonal variations. For instance, the Voxer does a great vintage amp with the Weber, and a more modern Marshall with the G12H30's in my Avatar cab. Anyway, I'm just wanting to add more flavors to my tonal palette. I just want more to choose from. The Voxer is a keeper for sure!!!!:D

19. e-z

e-z Member

Sorry for the hijack but will you start another thread that reviews your JMJ? I've been curious about them.

20. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Here is the deal. And this goes not just for you but for ANYONE!

It is kind of like finding a piece of art that speaks to you.

If you find that axe, amp, art, whatever it is that really speaks
    to you

...BUY IT.

You will know over time if it is right for you. The main thing is if you don't
    buy it, it will always haunt you, like it is doing now.

I know guys that have been looking for "their tone" for years.
    They are always intervied by me before I do anything to their
    amps. I've turn away more then a few folks about amp work
    or mods once I've found out they have the tone they were
    always looking for...sometimes folks don't know and some times
    they do, sometimes you have to pull it out of them too.

If it is haunting you, go take a road trip and find the amp that
    has your sound.

Good luck.