Matchless, Victoria, Heritage, Divided by13, Laney amp comparisons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MusicGearGuys, Jul 23, 2006.

1. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Yesterday I had a few friends come by the shop with their gear.
    Lord Valve also showed up for an subjective ear.

Here are the amps we tested.
    Heritage Coloniel
    Divided by 13 FTR37 1x12 combo
    Matchless Clubman 35 Reverb
    Laney LC 30 II "A" Class
    Victoria 2112 narrow panel DLX

We used a Tom Anderson Strat with SC PU's

Actually, all of these amps sounded stellar.

The Divided by 13 sounds much better through a 2x12 then in combo form.
    It had a very nice Fender tone with much more push.

The Coloniel is awesome for the money. It also has a Fender vibe but is very lush. A bit weird because it houses EL34's. It seemed to handle EFX better on the US side.

Matchless Clubman 35 Reverb had a huge tone. Extreemly lush and handled pedals the best out of the bunch IMHO. It also has EL34's but doesnt sound like a Marshall at all. Just a huge 3D like heavenly clean tone.
    Wind up the volume (gain) and its great for a bluesman without EFX.

Laney LC 30II just stumped us all.
    Its kinda like a AC 30 meets a hot rodded Marshall.
    It has 4 EL84's. The clean channel is quite nice, and the gain channel had more gain then any other amp we tried. It does have some noise at full gain though. But for under $900 you can afford to buy a Hush. BTW, you dont really need dist pedals with this amp.

Victoria 2112 narrow panel DLX sounded like a old vintage Fender should.
    Great sesitivity, and natural break-up. A bluesman's wet dream so to speak. This is a must if your a Fender fan. Classic tones but on steriods.

We had the same player play the same chords and licks with each amp.

Several of us came up with this result.

1st place: Matchless Clubman 35 Reverb (overal best tone and features)
    2nd place: Heritage Coloniel( Great quality for the money. Wish it had an EFX loop though)
    3rd place: Victoria 2112 (Classic tones that puts a smile on your face every time you play through it)
    4th place: Divided by 13 combo ( the piggyback setup was much better than the combo IMHO They are made like tanks too)
    5th place: Laney LC 30II (although it was the first choice for a working mans amp that you dont have to worry about it taking a beating)

All and all, these were all amazing amps that I would be proud to own.

If anybody else has experiances with these amps, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Gregory

2. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

FTR37 as a combo? Cool! I have never seen that. I thought he only did the SJT10/20 and the JRT9/15 as combo's.

3. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

FTR37 1x12 combo? You sure about that?

peace
    -jeff

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

curehardy will love to hear this...he just picked up a Clubman.

matchless makes some incredible amps.

5. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Yeah I believe so.
    I was told that there was only a couple made or something like that.
    I will double check though guys.

Gregory

6. myles111

myles111 Member

I can see how you can play these amps and comment on them individually but am at a total loss on how you would compare them.

I guess in cars we would have:

1. BMW M5
    2. Chevy Surburban
    3. Scion Xb
    4. Honda Passport
    5. Ford F-350 with Power Stroke Diesel

7. PaulC

PaulC Member

Myles,

I take it you've not checked out our amps, or looked "under the hood". But thanks for you comments regarding our amps anyway. Chevy - give me a break...

PaulC
    Heritage amps/Tim&timmy pedals

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I was a little baffled with the Victoria and Scion comparison too. :confused:

9. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

interesting. thank you for taking the time to post your results.

10. Madsman

Madsman Member

I think you kinda misread his post, Paul, unless I'm missing the joke. I think he was saying that it would "be LIKE trying to compare [these 5 cars]" not that "the automobile equivalents are [these 5 cars]" Meaning that "you can't really compare those 5 wildly different amps, just like you can't really compare those 5 wildly different cars."

11. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Certainly Myles wasn't literally comparing a Heritage Colonial to a Chevy. I refuse to believe it.

Let me say this: the Colonial is the best "vintage Marshall" I've ever owned/played. I use mine every night with SheDaisy, and get compliments left & right.

If you're interested in hearing a Colonial, watch CMT's "Power Picks", on every weekday at 3pm est. The theme is almost 100% Colonial (we used one lick from the demo, if I remember correctly).

12. Curly

Curly Member

interesting shoot out

I've heard quite a few people say that the Clubman has some of the best clean tone they've heard. I tested one and was a little underwhelmed, but it's probably just me. I do love the SC-30 though.

I tested some Victorias one day in a shop. Although I didn't get to play the Deluxe, I heard someone else play it and it sounded great. I've always thought it was a little curious that he calls it a 20 watt amp when the originals are around 13 watts. I do think he gets a lot out of that Jensen P12R that most people consider a weak speaker.
    The amp that impressed me that day was a Double Deluxe, and I ended up with a used one from the Amp Emporium later.

anyway, I haven't tried any of the others, so I can't comment, but it's interesting to hear your comments

13. myles111

myles111 Member

Paul,

Please excuse me if you thought I was comparing the amps mentioned directly to cars. I was attempting to point out that the amps mentioned were all very different just as the random vehicles I chose off the top of my head to be nothing more than different and random.

14. myles111

myles111 Member

Thank you for what seems to be the only one that understood my point :)

I never claimed to be a great writer but thankfully you understood what I was trying to say.

15. myles111

myles111 Member

Chris,

Thanks to you also for pointing out it was not intended to be a literal comparison.

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

17. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I also found it odd that the author of the thread referred to this as a "shootout". The amps that were in the lineup are quite divergent in their purpose.

Still, it sounded like a fun day with amps! :)

18. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Don't worry Myles, I got your point right off. In fact I was thoroughly confused by Paul's post until someone else explained how others read your post ...

It's kinda like a dog show, I'll never understand why the Dachshund got first and the Great Dane got second, when from the beginning I thought the Labrador was the clear winner :)

19. PaulC

PaulC Member

yeah - I'm a bit touchy about the amps. It's been pretty hard to get people to take a look at the amps. True story - several months ago a dealer told us about how a guy walked into his store to check out some amps. When the dealer pointed ours out to him the guy said he wasn't interested. He didn't even want to try it out! But the dealer finally got him to, and he ended up buying it.

There was a thread here a week or so ago where our amps were being talked about with another line. A guy posted saying that our amps were second best, but I knew he'd never even heard them... I contacted him about that, and only after that did he go on here and say that he's never heard our amps.

I'm just looking for a fair shot at getting this amp thing going. So when I see a fav amp here sort of called a BMW to my Chevy it just makes me cringe. Call me to sensistive or burned out if you will...

PaulC

20. landru64

landru64 Member

this is a relevant comment because probably the problem is just brand recognition. i didn't really even think about heritage (don't even think about the guitars, actually) until i happened upon one at buffalo bros. and it was killing. i'm hoping these get all the success they deserve....