Matchless vs. Vox...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oien, Sep 19, 2008.

1. oien

oien Member

I have always been admiring those beautiful Matchless amps, but they are quite expensive here in Norway. So I have to look for a cheaper option, maybe Vox. How is the Vox AC15 Hertiage Handwire compared to a Matchless Lightning or DC30?

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

one thing that makes matchless sound so huge is that they use HUGE output transformers. Makes a big diff.

3. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

There are some other,less expensive options than Matchless...like TopHat,Dr. Z,Budda,and Ceriatone 'Muchless' etc. :)

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

None sound like a matchless though. The kingsley D30 is close in terms of fatness. It also uses huge transformers.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Nothing sounds like a Matchless - well, except a Matchless!!!

6. Teh RedWizard

No,but then neither does a Vox! :huh

7. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

actually I think that the new handwired vox's can sound pretty amazing when you change out the trannies. I did this on a 30 watter and was shocked at the difference.

personally I prefer the modded vox to the C30 matchless. I never thought that the matchless worked well with pedals and the caps that they use in the pi are too small.

8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a Matchless DC-30. It's a great amp. It's based upon two different Vox amps. . .The first channel, or triode channel, is based upon an old Vox AC30. The second channel, or pentode channel, is based upon a Vox AC15.

My experience has been that the DC-30 sounds best with single coil guitars. . .tele. . .strat. . .and especially the Ric 360. . .What an incredible combination.

With that said. . .I've also got a Vox AC15 with two 10 inch speakers. Sounds great with a strat and Ric 360. . .

To my ears, while in the same ballpark, doesn't exactly sound like the Matchless DC-30. Alot of the amp's (DC-30) sound comes from the two mis-matched speakers. . .A greenie and a V30. I particularly like the greenie and mic it when recording.

So, if you're looking for the Matchless sound. . .You might look at a Vox AC30 with Greenies. . .

Oh, and another very important thing. . .The Matchless has a VERY GOOD master volume. A Vox AC30 does not, so you have to crank it to get to that grind that comes very easy with the Matchless. I'm not sure, but I believe that the Vox Custom Classic has a master volume. You might consider this as an alternative, so that you can get to the amps overdrive without causing your ears to bleed.

9. oien

oien Member

Thanks! So I can get a AC15 HH closer to a matchless sound by changing the transformers, and use a cabinet with mismatched speakers? Anyway, I'm a litle bit concerned about the AC15 built quality...

10. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

While it's true that Matchless amps were originally based on the AC series Voxes, they sound quite different. I find the Matchless DC30 sounds a lot crisper and tighter - some like this, some don't. I actually prefer Badcats! The Matchless and Badcat amps have bigger trannies and much higher filtering, which helps give you a much tighter, less saggy tone. The O/T is bigger in the Matchless but it's the P/T which is huge. And I find that the Badcats sound a little less brittle than the Matchless. But quite similar.

You might want to look at the Vox Brian May amp or a Dr Z Stangray.

11. snoggin

snoggin Member

I LOVE matchloess.. Stilll in the honeymoon period I guess.. I've had a Clubman head and cab for around 3-4 months now and just picked up an HC-30 head also..

I really like the tones in these and have gotten away from all my effects except for a little BB+ compression here and there.. Mostly dont need it and just use the volume on the guitar which I had heard about but had never really gotten the hang of it.. converted now

Plus the master does work very well.. Played a room last night that was so live I had to run the amp at like less than two.. sound guy made us sound great tho and the amp still performed

12. Teh RedWizard

I believe a TopHat King Royale is at least worth a look as well...they can be found used at surprisingly reasonable prices.

13. hogy

hogy Member

I'm pretty sure the Matchless DC-30 and Vox AC30 output transformers are the same size.

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Here are 63 Albions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]