1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Matchless vs. Vox...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oien, Sep 19, 2008.

1. oien

oien Member

I have always been admiring those beautiful Matchless amps, but they are quite expensive here in Norway. So I have to look for a cheaper option, maybe Vox. How is the Vox AC15 Hertiage Handwire compared to a Matchless Lightning or DC30?

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

one thing that makes matchless sound so huge is that they use HUGE output transformers. Makes a big diff.

3. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

There are some other,less expensive options than Matchless...like TopHat,Dr. Z,Budda,and Ceriatone 'Muchless' etc. :)

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

None sound like a matchless though. The kingsley D30 is close in terms of fatness. It also uses huge transformers.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Nothing sounds like a Matchless - well, except a Matchless!!!

6. Teh RedWizard

No,but then neither does a Vox! :huh

7. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

actually I think that the new handwired vox's can sound pretty amazing when you change out the trannies. I did this on a 30 watter and was shocked at the difference.

personally I prefer the modded vox to the C30 matchless. I never thought that the matchless worked well with pedals and the caps that they use in the pi are too small.

8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a Matchless DC-30. It's a great amp. It's based upon two different Vox amps. . .The first channel, or triode channel, is based upon an old Vox AC30. The second channel, or pentode channel, is based upon a Vox AC15.

My experience has been that the DC-30 sounds best with single coil guitars. . .tele. . .strat. . .and especially the Ric 360. . .What an incredible combination.

With that said. . .I've also got a Vox AC15 with two 10 inch speakers. Sounds great with a strat and Ric 360. . .

To my ears, while in the same ballpark, doesn't exactly sound like the Matchless DC-30. Alot of the amp's (DC-30) sound comes from the two mis-matched speakers. . .A greenie and a V30. I particularly like the greenie and mic it when recording.

So, if you're looking for the Matchless sound. . .You might look at a Vox AC30 with Greenies. . .

Oh, and another very important thing. . .The Matchless has a VERY GOOD master volume. A Vox AC30 does not, so you have to crank it to get to that grind that comes very easy with the Matchless. I'm not sure, but I believe that the Vox Custom Classic has a master volume. You might consider this as an alternative, so that you can get to the amps overdrive without causing your ears to bleed.

9. oien

oien Member

Thanks! So I can get a AC15 HH closer to a matchless sound by changing the transformers, and use a cabinet with mismatched speakers? Anyway, I'm a litle bit concerned about the AC15 built quality...

10. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

While it's true that Matchless amps were originally based on the AC series Voxes, they sound quite different. I find the Matchless DC30 sounds a lot crisper and tighter - some like this, some don't. I actually prefer Badcats! The Matchless and Badcat amps have bigger trannies and much higher filtering, which helps give you a much tighter, less saggy tone. The O/T is bigger in the Matchless but it's the P/T which is huge. And I find that the Badcats sound a little less brittle than the Matchless. But quite similar.

You might want to look at the Vox Brian May amp or a Dr Z Stangray.

11. snoggin

snoggin Member

I LOVE matchloess.. Stilll in the honeymoon period I guess.. I've had a Clubman head and cab for around 3-4 months now and just picked up an HC-30 head also..

I really like the tones in these and have gotten away from all my effects except for a little BB+ compression here and there.. Mostly dont need it and just use the volume on the guitar which I had heard about but had never really gotten the hang of it.. converted now

Plus the master does work very well.. Played a room last night that was so live I had to run the amp at like less than two.. sound guy made us sound great tho and the amp still performed

12. Teh RedWizard

I believe a TopHat King Royale is at least worth a look as well...they can be found used at surprisingly reasonable prices.

13. hogy

hogy Member

I'm pretty sure the Matchless DC-30 and Vox AC30 output transformers are the same size.

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Here are 63 Albions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]