Matchless ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stoob0t, Jun 20, 2008.

1. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I'm looking for a higher gain amp to partner with my Dr Z Maz 38. I'm looking for a similar sound to an AC30, with a bit more gain on tap, but the similar sort of chime. Ideally im looking for a 2x12 combo or a head - and something with EL84's.

I'd be using the Z for my clean/slight crunch, and yet undecided other amp for my cranked up rhythm playing and some lead work.

Is Matchless my best bet for a hot-rodded AC30 kind of amp? Or are there others out there that i've neglected?

2. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Matchless designs (or at least the DC-30) is definately a hot-rodded AC30. That said, the magic with Matchless isn't really about having higher gain than a Maz, it's more about living at the edge of breakup - and doing it REALLY well.

If it were me, and I were looking for more "tonal seperation" from the Maz - I'd probably be looking at an 18w Marshall or clone. You'd still have the EL-84's, but this might be a better choice for lead work.

Stormin!

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'd highly recommend the C-30 series for the tones you are looking for. Plenty of gain/oomph on tap - especially on the EF86 side. Hands down one of my favorite amps.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If you pursue the DC-30, HC-30 or SC-30 most likely you will be soon selling your Z. The Clubman offers up a lot of gain if you crank the pre gain, not sure about the others.

5. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I would second that. A Matchless C-30 will spoil you for the rest of your life and will make you sell your other EL84 amps. No comparison.

Rene

6. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

That's what i was worried someone would say! Looks like i'm going to have to try one out!

Edit. I have just discovered, that while over in the U.S the suggested retail for the HC-30 is $2861 - in the UK i would have to pay almost double @ $4840! There is no way on earth that it costs $2000 to fit a 240v power transformer and ship to the UK!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  7. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of currency exchange! Don't forget to add VAT if it applies :crazyguy

Stormin!

8. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I've long been aware of currency differences like this - but the difference with other U.S. high end amps (Fuchs, Bogner, Bad Cat) isn't anywhere near this much. I think i'll have to keep saving for a little longer!