Matchless!

thelionsden

Used to have an HC30 I bought new with a 2x12 cab maybe 5-6 years ago. I had a gas binge and spent a pile o money and sold the head to allay my guilt. That head never sounded so amazing as the day I was packing it for shipment. :(

So I saw this 94 HC30 on the emporium last week and decided to buy it. Thought I would look for a green 1x12 to match and lo and behold, the owner of the amp, Rob Sharer, PMS me again and says he has a matching cab too! We just never got around to talking about it. So I had to buy tht too! Thanks Rob! (and for a great packing job too!) Heres a pic:

:drool

HC30LP.jpg

:love::love::love::love::love:

It just had some Sovteks and stuff in it for tubes, so I did some tube swapping with what I had laying around and it is really starting to sound amazing! :band Amperex EF 86, mullard and amperex in V1 and V2, RCA balanced triode tube in PI and a set of Tesla NOS I had laying around for EL84.

What do you guys that have Matchli like for tubes?
(bold so you don't forget the question ;) ) Especially power tubes cause that is what I want to improve on. I think I had some telefunken in the one I sold and they were very good. I know the originals used to come with NOS GE from the factory a lot of times. i enjoyed reading in a recent thread how Phil Jamison used to sit in a room and voice the amps swapping many tubes to get them as good as he could.

Some amps NOS tubes don't do much and almost sound the same but not so with a Matchless. They are profoundly affected by tube changes. The chime, the 3D, brush the strings and hear all the harmonic content and swirl!! Punchy, singing big lowend through a 1x12!

The innards are very impressive as well. It looks like it would take weeks to build one of these.. and that, IF you knew what you were DOING....

matchlessinnards.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::crazy

Don't forget the tube question boys and girls!

Thanks

Dennis

relix63

Gold Supporting Member
I use current production tubes in my Spitfire head and have been happy. Clearly that doesn't help much. Sorry.

Nice looking amp by the way. It certainly doesn't help my GAS. I sold the best amp I ever heard, a SC/30 some years back. I'm thinking a HC/30 would be a good replacement and would work well with the 1-12 Matchless cab I already have. Thankfully I haven't seen any for sale lately, thus saving my marital bliss for a little while longer.

Jujo

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a secret confession. I've been thinking of selling my HC30 and 1x12. Pure stupidity? You guys can talk me out of it...

I've always been curious about the NOS tubes but they cost too damn much for me to buy before I try. I've been using JJ power tubes in mine. Sounds great to me, but there could be better options.

relix63

Gold Supporting Member
I've got a secret confession. I've been thinking of selling my HC30 and 1x12. Pure stupidity? You guys can talk me out of it...

I've always been curious about the NOS tubes but they cost too damn much for me to buy before I try. I've been using JJ power tubes in mine. Sounds great to me, but there could be better options.

There's no way I'll talk you out of it. Who am I to say you can't sell one of the best amps ever. Just in case you do sell, what color is it?

stratton

It's a lot of amp to have around if it's not doing anything for you. The amp dopes sound way different depending on speaker configuration.

Before selling it you might try different speakers, or a closed 2x12, or my latest favorite, a Marshall 4X12 with Greenbacks. That one is a house shaker though, even on half power. :RoCkIn

Jujo

Silver Supporting Member
To the OP: I've found that my fav EF86 so far has been the Russian Winged C. I've tried some other NOS stuff that a buddy had, and I thought they were all too bright sounding. I've found these winged C to be very full, round, thick, and mellow. Bought mine on ebay from Ukraine. They're a very good value if you want to just try them out. $20 will get you a few.

I also tried using 2 GE GZ32's. Didn't like that so much, and I don't even remember it making a great difference in tone or feel.

I'm using vintage RCA 12ax7s. Those tubes did make a difference. So that's my story with tubes. Hope it helps.

relix: the amp is black with blk/silver cloth cab.

Stratton: the amp does a LOT for me. I dig it big time. At home and on stage. It's just that life is short and so is my wallet (relative to some). If I want to try other amps I couldn't keep the Matchless as well. I can only afford 1 expensive amp at a time!

thelionsden

I am telling you, the tubes will make a huge difference, somewhat depending on what you get of course. It is worth it. If it doesn't i will buy them off of you!! You will have a new amp that is much more responsive and gorgeous sounding, for much less than buying a new amp provided of course you like the matchless basic tone.

opens up the sound, more musical.

thelionsden

To the OP: I've found that my fav EF86 so far has been the Russian Winged C. I've tried some other NOS stuff that a buddy had, and I thought they were all too bright sounding. I've found these winged C to be very full, round, thick, and mellow. Bought mine on ebay from Ukraine. They're a very good value if you want to just try them out. $20 will get you a few.

I also tried using 2 GE GZ32's. Didn't like that so much, and I don't even remember it making a great difference in tone or feel.

I'm using vintage RCA 12ax7s. Those tubes did make a difference. So that's my story with tubes. Hope it helps.

!

jujo,

Did you have a pair of GZ 32 /5v4 in there before you changed the rectifier or a single GZ34/ 5 AR4? The pair of gz32 /5v4 is supposed to make the amp a litle spongier than the single 5AR4. There are differing opinions as to whether rectifiers of the same type will make a diff in sound with NOS but if nothing else, in most cases they are considered to be more reliable.

I have a pair of GE 5v4 in mine but I haven't swapped it for the Mullard 5ar4 that I have yet. When i had the HC 30 in the past I had it with 5ar4 but it was so long ago i can't compare. I may try swapping them later today.

But power tubes, that is another story... I believe that you will hear as much change or more by swapping the P tubes as you did with those RCAs. PI is important too. I swapped several yesterday and quickly ab'd and there was a pretty large difference in the tone even with all nOS tubes.

dennis

thelionsden

Also, I have Russian winged C ef86 and the amperex sounds a LOT better to me. Maybe your friends tubes were tired. :D

Dennis

stratton

Stratton: the amp does a LOT for me. I dig it big time. At home and on stage. It's just that life is short and so is my wallet (relative to some). If I want to try other amps I couldn't keep the Matchless as well. I can only afford 1 expensive amp at a time!

I hear you! I can't afford more than one expensive amp either, but my friends at Visa and I have an arrangement.

Well, once you're in at a certain price point you can make deals for trades and/or sales that keep you at that price point, buy another Matchless if you want to.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I have a 96 Chieftain 212 that is unbelievable. Hard to find a stage big enough to crank it up loud enough to make it sound great though...

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Great rig, and I love the color.

My Matchless is truly the amp for me. Superb sound, regardless of venue or guitar, and built like a fortress.

thelionsden

To hell with the amp...I want to hear more about that Les Paul! Wow!

That is a 2006 68 Reissue LP Custom GC version with narrower neck profile, with Tom Holmes p/ups, recently expertly dialed in by Denny Kopp of Kopp Stringed instruments. Psst...guess what? It sounds good too! :AOK

dennis

Top Bottom