Maton Guitars anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SpaceFlunky, Dec 16, 2009.

1. SpaceFlunky

SpaceFlunky Member

Here is my Maton Ms526d. Its an amazing guitar that doesnt get much attention here in the US.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dmaji1

dmaji1 Member

My Maton EBG808L
    one of the best acoustics ive ever owned.
    im Australian so im obviously going to be bias but man!
    this thing is a beauty!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ultradust

ultradust Member

Curious how I found out about them while working in the world of ESL! Gotta hand it to The Wiggles for getting rock 'n' roll, er...I mean quality guitars into the minds of kids. I'd love to bang about on one someday.

[​IMG]

4. SpaceFlunky

SpaceFlunky Member

That is a sweet ass acoustic man! I wish i had the cash for one, but its a bitch to get them over here in the states.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Yeah - for many years Maton were Australia's premier guitar builder. Then their top luthier, a guy named Cole Clarke, left there employ about 8 yrs ago and set up his own company. Maton guitars immediately started going downhill in many people opinions locally.

Matons were quickly beaten in terms of quality and value for money by Cole Clarke new guitars IMO. Both Matons and Cole Clarke guitars are now around in many Aussie guitar stores and you can compare both. Every Clarke I've played sounds better than it's comparable Maton, they have better PUP's and they're cheaper. Zero criticism of anything Maton make is intended, just think Clarke's are better.

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/products.asp

6. Telecaster069

Telecaster069 Member

I've been playing Matons since 1974 and I strongly disagree with your opinions re Cole Clark V's Maton. I've met Cole several times and he's a top bloke who makes great guitars BUT I'll stick with Maton thanks very much.
    IMO the M225 is the best sub $1000 acoustic ever sold in this country.
    Each to there own.

7. televox

televox Member

I have one of these, Ive played the hell out of it and is looking beat up but it just sounds better as it ages.
    I think the other great thing about Matons is the pickup systems that they use, they just sound great.

I have to try one of the electrics one day, I hear they are very underated guitars.

8. simon_62

simon_62 Member

I went to a TCV gig last week and Josh Homme's Maton (BB1200JH?) sounded phenomenal!!! I want one! :D

9. showerofsparks

showerofsparks Member

Maton MS2000 DLX

This guitar is fantastic. I guess its Matons take on a LP style.
    This one is difficult to photograph (for me anyway). Its hard to pick up the grain, or the burst. Its actually called a Honey Burst!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Great guitars. Cole Clark makes different styles acoustics so not overly comparable. They dont do the 808 style, which is Maton's best acoustic IMO. I have the BG808, EBG808 artist, and the TE 808, awesome guitars. If I was going buy a bigger acoustic I may look at Cole Clark as they do sound good.

11. dmaji1

dmaji1 Member

i traded my Cole Clark FL2-AC for the Maton i posted earlier

the Cole Clark was nice but i came to found the neck was annoying for longer gigs.

very happy with my EBG808L!

12. shane88

shane88 Member

i was playing a bolt on model in a store in sydney the other day and it was very nice but i've always avoided them cos they are so ugly

13. wizard_23

wizard_23 Member

I won't get into the CC VS Maton debate. But dude, you're post is completely incorrect.. No facts in there at all.

There is no guy called "Cole Clark"... Not one associated with the company building guitars anyhow.

It was Brad Clark, who was CEO of Maton and decided to start his own company.

"Maton guitars immediately started going downhill in many people opinions locally" - Not true... The production models and quality are comparable between pre and post Clark.

Not trying to attack for no reason.. But please research a little more.

Anywho, all the same.. I think it's a good time to be an Australian playing music. Both brands are putting out some top notch guitars. I played one of the 50th Anniversary MS500's recently.. And was completely blown away. The Maton electrics really are top notch. Everyone should try one if they can!

14. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

The Maton electrics don't really do anything for me. Nothing particularly special about them to me. Same with Cole Clark electrics for that matter.

I played a bunch of Maton and Cole Clark guitars on my acoustic hunt. Cole Clark won out for me. Not that the Matons were bad, but I thought the Cole Clarks had better attention to detail and were better value for money.

15. SpaceFlunky

SpaceFlunky Member

wow that thing is beautiful.

16. cooljuk

cooljuk Member

I'd really like a Maton. I love the style of their electrics. I'm also a Josh Homme fan, so perhaps that has some subconscious influence on my Maton-lust.

I have a saved search on eBay and I'm just waiting for the right one at the right price. They are really pricey though... at least in the US.

17. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

i've been gassing for a BB1200 for years, but i haven't been able to play one because they're kind of a rarity in the US.
    i mean, just look at this beauty:
    [​IMG]
    WOWZA

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

hehehe - you're a comedian right.
    you say I got all my facts wrong then it turns out I only got 1 fact wrong. I got the guys first name wrong. Happy to admit to that - sue me :D

and when did you become "many people". You're not in a position to dispute anyone else's opinion. No one is. Fact is... I don't know one single person (who is not a Maton owner) who thinks that post 2005 Matons are as good, or better than, or better value for money, than Cole Clarks. Are you gonna tell me that I do. I don't own either so I'm objective. But my next acoustic buy will be a Clarke

Both guitars makers are excellent. Let's just leave it there ;)

19. mr_sooty

mr_sooty Member

Sorry about the thread dig up, but I wanted to weigh in here. I had a Cole Clark Fat Lady 1AC for a while. I loved the amplified tone, but wasn't quite as excited about the straight acoustic tone. Still, it was a lovely guitar that played very nicely, and the face brace pickup system is amazing.

I'm in the market for an acoustic again, and the Maton EBG808 as pictured on page one of this thread is right on the top of my list. I really love how that guitar sounds. If Cole Clark made an 808, OM, or 000 size guitar, that'd be a serious contender too. I do like the Cole Clark Angel, but that's a little too spendy for my budget.

I find the Maton vs Cole Clark debate kind of funny though, because the two brands acoustic guitars are incredibly similar. The only thing I don't like about the Maton 808 is that the neck is a bit chunky for me. But I love the bluesy, punchy tone.

Otherwise I'm also considering a Larrivee OM3 or LV03.

20. stuco

stuco Member

I've always wanted to try a maton but they are hard to find in shops in the US. It's usually mail order only.