Matrix GT1000 vs Rocktron Mainline

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by magnus, Oct 2, 2019.

1. magnus

magnus Member

I'm gonna slave my Suhr Corso amp using a Suhr Reactive load and need a power amp.
    Has anyone tried both? What's your opinion?

2. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

You would be better off using a Reactive Load to do that. I have a Matrix and it is Good but the fan is loud.

3. magnus

magnus Member

Yes, I'm gonna use the speaker out in to a Suhr Reactive load, then into fack FX and then into a stereo power amp.

Do you have the 1u Matrix version? The 2u is supposed to be a lot quieter.

4. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Mine is 1U and old. I’m sure they must be more quiet because this is loud

5. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

I've had both. The Mainline is supposed to have a more "tube-like" response, but it didn't seem that way to me. I thought they were both serviceable, reliable power amps that got the job done. If you're slaving through a reactive load, you probably want a flatter response, so the Matrix would theoretically be the way to go.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  6. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Matrix are a good loading amp. I have the 1RU 1000 and had the 800 as well. Fan noise is no worse than any other power amp or some PA amps imo (valve included). And no louder than an Axefx's. In the rack, I don't notice it as badly.

Sound wise, pretty flat and uninspiring but as I said, a good loading amp.

Try an old Marshall 8008 - might surprise you (no motorised fan either). Like them better than the Matrix'.

iam_krash likes this.
  7. magnus

magnus Member

Do the Mainline also have fans that make some noise? Did you find the resonance och presence controls useful?

8. theRagman

The Mainline felt, to me, like an awkward compromise of an amp. I used the Matrix quite a bit for flattish power amp applications, and I had a VHT 2/50/2 for guitar-oriented stuff. I picked up the Mainline hoping it would get me close enough to the VHT to stop lugging that thing around and save me a rack space. It really didn't. I tinkered with the resonance and presence controls, and they did something, but the overall punch and feel wasn't even close, so I abandoned it pretty rapidly.

Probably I was asking too much of the thing; hopefully somebody else can chime in who had an application for it closer to yours.

9. theRagman

Oh, and I don't remember if it had a fan or not. My Matrix was a 1U with a fan, and the noise never bothered me. It's just not an issue at anything approximating normal amp volume.

10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Back in the late 90s when I ran a Triaxis/2:90-rig the store lent me a Mesa 20/20 while my 2:90 was in for repair and I hated it so they offered my a 8008 to use instead, to my surprise I liked it a lot. I should look for one now, I need a stereo power amp! :)

I also used to have a Rocktron Velocity, later replaced with a Matrix 1000. Matrix was clearly better than the Rocktron, but I wouldn't use either for main power, but fin for w/d and w/d/w stuff.

Coalface1971 and theRagman like this.
  11. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

I don't think anyone would go wrong with either the Matrix or 8008 for a loading amp, though at the price point the 8008 is a better deal. Pretty sure you can still get the output transistor's, which other than dry caps (low voltage, so are cheap) are the only thing that will let go in it. Use a real power transformer, rather than an SMPS in Matrix, so weighty-er. And keep in mind 120/240vac operation is just changing some jumpers on the PCB. So will work world wide.

I have two of them, sold a third. Average price between was $200. TS9 money.

Chris.

12. guitarmike

guitarmike Member

I had 2 Rocktron power amps and quickly sold both. To my ears they did not sound good. I currently use an old Mosvalve mv-962 with my synergy pre amps and I am happy with the tone I get. Try one if you already haven’t, as long as you do not pay more than $200-250 you will not lose if you decide it is not for you.

13. Larry Eh?

Larry Eh? Member

I don't know about the Mainline, but the Velocity 300 has a very flat frequency response with the controls set at 5. So if you're looking for tube amp-like coloration it's not the best choice, but if your processor does power amp modeling it should be a good choice.