Matsushita 12ax7 ...ID ?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Axemeister, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I am curious about the characteristics and quality of Japanese tubes...namely Matsushita.

I have read various things in my research, but there are a wide range of opinions about the lineage and design of the Matsushita tubes.

I ran across a couple of these tubes recently, and was interested in what the lineage or nature of these tubes might be. I know that these questions are meaningless without photos, so here goes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well they are often refered to as "japanese Mullards" because of the identical plate structure to a Mullard short plate(all philips family short plates really)(except they have an angled getter like a Valvo and hence remind me of them more) The one you have pictured has the holes on both sides of the plates. I have some that dont go thru to the other side just like a Philips short plate.I would tend to believe they were made with Philips tooling but dont really know.Bob

3. PFunk

PFunk Member

That's what I heard too.

A few years back bought I bought a Teisco Checkmate 20 at a garage sale to re-live my garage band days and it had a two of these in it. Just for fun, I took it to the next rehersal and despite its discount store qaulity I noticed a sense of openess that I hadn't heard in my other amps. It was my ah-ha moment of the advantages of old stock tubes versus the new stuff. They made my Fender sound better as well.

They are nice sounding tubes.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Those look like perfect examples of Matsushita 12AX7 to me, from the angled halo getter wire, to the font on the print - Matsushita all the way.

I don't have documentation, but believe I've read they used Philips tooling, with Mullard engineering consultation. That doesn't say anything about the quality of raw materials, or their qa/qc program. But the Matsushita EL84 I've used were very respectable.

- Thom

5. Swarty

Swarty Member

I've heard that as well. I have had NOS Amperex and other brands that were relabled Matsushita EL34s which proved to be excellent tubes both sonically and durability wise. They were on par with the xf4 western European varieties. The part I never figured out is if they used the Philips/Mullard tooling why are there seams on the envelopes?

6. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I stuck one of these in V1 on one of my amps last night, replacing a Sovtek, and the amp opened up nicely.

7. Timbre Wolf

That's what its all about! :BEER

- T

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Perhaps because Mullards also have seams on the bottles? The ones I have do. Bob

9. Swarty

Swarty Member

EL34s?

10. Timbre Wolf

Can't tell if you guys are talking about 12AX7 or EL34. I agree with Bob, when it comes to the 12AX7, but don't have experience with Matsushita EL34.

- T

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My mistake. I thought you were referring to the 12AX7's. Bob

12. Swarty

Swarty Member

The Matsushita 5AR4s and EL34s have a seam splitting the bottles in half. But the bottles, asside from the seam look just like Mullards.

13. jbird

jbird Member

My Westinghouse labeled Matsushita 12ax7 is seemless as I recall!