Matt Schofield & Oz Noy

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sideman, Mar 2, 2015.

1. sideman

sideman Member

Matt Schofield invites Oz Noy on stage. The routine of a guitar star bringing up another guitar star to sit-in works well here. The two have some similarities in playing a bit outside the box, and Matt listens carefully to what Oz is doing, and then follows along in that bag (rising to the challenge). When they trade licks at the end it's fun too - cause they're really "playing" together. Too often in these situations the guys aren't really paying much attention to each other. Note also that Oz is allowed good volume, and isn't drowned out by other rhythm instruments - hate that when the guy sitting-in is down in the mix and others play over him.

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

Wow! That was great! Such tasty playing from both guys! Loved their tones from the Two Rock's. And yes - they did "play together" very well. Shows the incredible talent of both players.

Liked the drummer's vocals, too.

Thanks for posting!

3. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Both these guys (Oz and Matt) are the "real deal." It's just a joy to watch and hear them do what they do best!!

4. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Fantastic playing, some here would refer to this as "Blues Wankering" I'd give my left nut to be able to "wanker" like these guys! Matt's tone is fat and juicy, what pickups does he use? are they stock Fender pickups?

5. Brian D

Brian D Member

A beautiful example of musicians listening to each other. Love it.

6. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Two huge talents right there!

7. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

That was a great clip, thanks for posting OP!

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

9. macula56

macula56 Member

nice playing. the drummer has a great voice.

10. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

I was there that night . Was in the city for a wedding , I live in the wilds of Western Canada, so it was quite an occasion for me .

A special night ... Matt's tone is to die for, and not only Oz showed up, Tomo, and Scott Sharrar had stage time .

Matt is a gracious soul ....we need more like him .

The drummer is a fellow Canadian , Jordan John... son of a legendary bassist up here. Drums aren't his first instrument, hell of a guitarist , and plays keys too ...a Prince in the making.

11. snouter

snouter Member

Great stuff. Note selection by Oz might be criticized but everyone is listening to each other, thinking and doing improvisation, which is what a live performance is all about. And why Oz is always interesting to listen to. No turning the mind off and doing E minor pentatonic licks no matter what the chord progression is like John Mayer does for example.

12. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Might as well add Hendrix, Gilmour, and Clapton to that list of mindless guitar players. :dunno

13. GloryJones

GloryJones Member

In that guitar he's using Amalfitano SVL pickups (A3 magnets). They were custom designed by Jerry for Matt's guitar.

Check out his gear here:

http://mattschofield.com/gear/

Jerry Amalfitano is an awesome guy, for the record. Great customer service and winds awesome pickups.

14. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Big fan of both and IMHO improvisation is all about listening and speaking appropriately to convey something meaningful to SOMEBODY. These guys get it and I am always looking for examples like this to share with my students, so THANKS.

15. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

BTW, one of my fondest musical memories is of a Bitter End show Oz Noy played while I was in town to teach in a workshop at NYU, just around the corner. Really playful and musically exciting show that I shared with my galpal by waking her on the phone and streaming the show live courtesy of AT&T to her earhole. She got up, booked tickets to NYC and flew up to join me the next day for another couple nights of great Bitter End music.

16. Garfy

Garfy Member

Saw Matt Schofield last night at The Jazz Cafe, Camden, London.
    Totally blown away, sounded fantastic, sporting the Xotic Wah and two Deep Blue Delays.