Matthew's Effect The Architect v2

Does anyone know what's going on with the Architect v2 by Matthew's Effect? It seems really really interesting pedal.

I'm into an 'always-on-make-everything-sound-better' drive and I like that Klon tone. It has that mid-hump and creamy tone I'm after.

How does it stand next to Wampler Tumnus or Rockett Archer?

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
I'm also interested. A klone with a 3-band EQ is highly intriguing!

That being said, I found the Tumnus to be bass heavy and the Archer (Ikon) to be too weak/nasally. The regular Archer is supposedly better, but I'm not too fond of Rockett's products anyway.

I really like mine. It can go from clean to very angry if needed. The eq is nice to have. I use my morning glory as an always on drive and the architect as a 2nd stage.

But my gas is acting up again so I'm selling it to buy a brothers.

@Daniel Jaquith I'm playing through a Deluxe Reverb with a 52' Tele and I'm lacking a mid control that's why I was intruigued by the Architect so much. I recently backed off the MG v4, because I thought it was way too trebly and thin. Plus it wasn't that quiet on mid-gain settings. I think the Architect v2 is what I need, but I can't play it or listen to it in person. I would appreciate detailed info about yours.

(there's also the Ibanez Mini TS.....)

@Daniel Jaquith I'm playing through a Deluxe Reverb with a 52' Tele and I'm lacking a mid control that's why I was intruigued by the Architect so much. I recently backed off the MG v4, because I thought it was way too trebly and thin. Plus it wasn't that quiet on mid-gain settings. I think the Architect v2 is what I need, but I can't play it or listen to it in person. I would appreciate detailed info about yours.

(there's also the Ibanez Mini TS.....)

I play a tele with 52'ish pickups through a VoxAC10. The eq is VERY responsive on this pedal. I can make it sound almost identical to my Morning glory, but with a mid boost and a high cut it turns into something completely different. I doubt you would be disappointed with the architect.

I'd sell you mine but a friend who played through my board already claimed it.

I play a tele with 52'ish pickups through a VoxAC10. The eq is VERY responsive on this pedal. I can make it sound almost identical to my Morning glory, but with a mid boost and a high cut it turns into something completely different. I doubt you would be disappointed with the architect.

I'd sell you mine but a friend who played through my board already claimed it.

Cheers! I think it will be 2-in-1 for me, an 'always-on' drive and an EQ as well. One last question, how does it stack with other pedals (I currently have a Fulltone OCD on my board) and is it good enough to place it after all the dirt to retain that Klon/mid-hump character?

Last edited:
Cheers! I think it will be 2-in-1 for me, an 'always-on' drive and an EQ as well. One last question, how does it stack with other pedals (I currently have a Fulltone OCD on my board) and is it good enough to place it after all the dirt to retain that Klon/mid-hump character?
It stacks really well!!
But i may be a little biased.....
I've stacked it with our other drives and many other brands drives with great results.
The eq is what really makes it flexible enough to work with any other pedals.

Haunting Mids

It stacks really well!!
But i may be a little biased.....
I've stacked it with our other drives and many other brands drives with great results.
The eq is what really makes it flexible enough to work with any other pedals.

Can you tell us more about the germanium and silicon transistors, please ?
(I have the Harbinger, really cool pedal !)

Can you tell us more about the germanium and silicon transistors, please?
(I have the Harbinger, really cool pedal !)

Sure! Although what its using is germanium and silicon diodes for the clipping. The Germanium diodes are NOS D9E diodes which are true to the original germanium diodes used in the klon.
The silicon diodes are actually my favorite setting and are less compressed, the clipping breathes more and then the no clipping setting is a more harsh and aggressive tone.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Does anyone know what's going on with the Architect v2 by Matthew's Effect? It seems really really interesting pedal.

I'm into an 'always-on-make-everything-sound-better' drive and I like that Klon tone. It has that mid-hump and creamy tone I'm after.

How does it stand next to Wampler Tumnus or Rockett Archer?
Choosing out of these three drives I'd go for the Architect V.2. It seems to be a good klone with useful tweaks and sounds appealing to my ears judging by the videos.

LordThurisaz

I know this is only about 8 or so months late, but the Architect v2 is so good, it should be criminal. Neck pickup lead tones with the Architect boosting a Rat or OCD sound killer. I will say that it's my first Klone pedal, so I can't compare it to other klones, or judge how klon-esque it is. What I can say, though, is that it sounds awesome, and if clean boosts, EQs used as a boost, and TS style pedals are either not your fancy or you are burnt out on them, I'd definitely try out the Architect v2. The EQ is awesome, the gain is great for more than just "set it to 9:00" tones [some Klons based on demos sound good with the gain between 9 and 10:30, and meh above that, to me anyways], and the clipping options are killer as well. I usually use Germanium because my other pedals generally have silicon or LEDs in the clipping section, so the combination of diodes sounds awesome. That said, silicon clipping on the Architect v2 is cool as well, and quite usable. In addition, I find that unity is around 11-12:30 on the volume, which means you can boost the front end of your amp quite well. Also, I'm pretty sure the pedal does the charge pump thing internally changing the 9v battery/adapter power to 18v, which means it's quite responsive to picking dynamics, volume changes, etc.

Definitely worth the $190 or so that you can find it for new on Reverb. Typically, my limit for pedals is ~$150, but I made an exception for this pedal and one other pedal -- the Proco Fat Rat, which was $200 -- both of which are quite awesome, and even better when you mix them like peanut butter [Architect v2] and chocolate [Fat Rat].

One last question, how does it stack with other pedals (I currently have a Fulltone OCD on my board) and is it good enough to place it after all the dirt to retain that Klon/mid-hump character?
I'd probably put it first in terms of gain pedals, but you should experiment with it after the OCD as well, which is another pedal I like to use as a boost. Side note: an OCD boosting a Rat style pedal -- I have a bunch of Rats and clones of Rats -- sounds kick ass. Which OCD do you have? I have a Mooer Hustle Drive, Ego Boost [with clipping switch for stock Mosfets or LEDs], and an OCD v2 [not v1.2].

Either way, you should get the pedal if you haven't already. I was looking for a klone at the time with a bass knob and this was the best option I found.

LordThurisaz

Where'd you find one? I like the idea of the compression control on the Merman (as well as the other features).
Peter listed one on his Reverb store the other day after he finished the run of originals he did for the Kickstarter he was running to fund the Klein Bottle. I debated it for a few hours, and finally just said, "screw it, I'm tired of looking for this ****ing thing to be at a decent price." More than I wanted to spend [it was about $206], but I finally have one on the way. I was going to make a donation or whatever to the kickstarter for a Merman, but ended up getting the Architect. I love the Architect a lot, but I still want a Merman as well. I think they both do enough different that it's worth it.

Sure! Although what its using is germanium and silicon diodes for the clipping. The Germanium diodes are NOS D9E diodes which are true to the original germanium diodes used in the klon.
The silicon diodes are actually my favorite setting and are less compressed, the clipping breathes more and then the no clipping setting is a more harsh and aggressive tone.
All three are useful, but I love and prefer the germanium diodes, followed closely by the silicon diodes, and less closely by the diode lift setting. All three have a use, but I use the germanium and silicon diode options most of the time. It sounds good using a VFE Alpha Dog v1 after it with the Architect V2 providing about 2/3rds of the gain. I have the Alpha Dog set to lift the hard clipping, use Mosfet soft clipping, and setting the gain to about 10:30 while the gain is set to 1:30-2:00 on the Architect.

Last edited:

Winzzy

I got the Tumnus Delux first and had issues with a loud audible pop when engaged (this was after their update) and just couldn't use it. I was already on the fence about getting this or the Tumnus, wish I had chosen this one. That being said I'm shipping the Tumnus back and got one of these to try instead. Hopefully, it doesn't have the same issue. Wampler said it has to do with the voltage charge pump that boosts the voltage to 18v.

LordThurisaz

I got the Tumnus Delux first and had issues with a loud audible pop when engaged (this was after their update) and just couldn't use it. I was already on the fence about getting this or the Tumnus, wish I had chosen this one. That being said I'm shipping the Tumnus back and got one of these to try instead. Hopefully, it doesn't have the same issue. Wampler said it has to do with the voltage charge pump that boosts the voltage to 18v.
I've never noticed this with the Matthews Effects The Architect v2 that I have. I saw the Tumnus Deluxe and was like, "Ehh, if I didn't have the VFE Merman and Architect v2, this might be interesting." Having those two, though, is basically all I need as far as Klones are concerned.

I hope the Architect works out for you, sir. You could also get the VFE Mermaid (there's one on Reverb as of the time of this post), and then return the one that you don't like/want/need. Or just resell it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom