Maven Peal RG88

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaronKeim, Feb 24, 2006.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Hey Fellas,

I have a chance at getting an RG-88 and it sounds like everything I've ever wanted from an amp... I have no need for an effects loop or anything like that, just different versions of Fender cleans and some raunchy overdrive. I like switchable features, and lots of flexability in tone and feel, everything just seems right about it.

Basically I just wanna hear your experiences with it, and if option wise you wished for something else after (like a Ganesha or Zeeta, haha), compaired to a Zeeta Gold, does it have the same fidelity and pure tone did you find it had enough gain for modern music.

I'll talk to Dave about all this too... For its price and options though, it just seems... like wow... something is missing, ya know? haha.

Gimme what you got!

-TJK

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Not to derail, but there have been SEVERAL threads on this amp over the last few weeks. You would do well to check those first for more information.

EP

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ok, I'll bite because I'm feeling generous -but do a search for Maven Peal and RG88....

The RG88 is basically Dave Z's take on Fender Twins or Pros. It has two channels each with their own "Chime" and "Sag" control. It has four power tubes but you can set any two up for any channel (or indeed all four), mine happens to have 2x 6L6's and 2x 6V6's.

If you turn the chime knob up and the sag control down to tends to sound BF, if you turn the chime off and the sag up it tends to sound like a Tweed Twin.

Unusually for a Maven Peal Channel 2 has a Master Volume - this is to balance the level with channel 1 that doesn't. Channel 2 also has probably more gain than any other Maven Peal amp. Personally I prefer channel 1 and have told Dave that. It (1) is extremely touch sensitive in a good way (purr to snarl dependent on how you pick it).

I'm repeating myself now read the other threads.....

Best, Pete.

4. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Hey fellas... I did do a lot of searching... but there actually wasn't a whole lot of information there... 2 or 3 guys saying that they loved the clean and that the 2nd channel had a lot more gain than any of the other Maven amps... but I really couldn't find much besides that.

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts though... I have been around long enough to search first though, I swear! Maybe all the threads got deleted back when they used to still do that sort of thing?

-TJK

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ask me a question about the RG88 and I'll try and answer.

Best, Pete.

6. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

What do you think is missing?

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

The catch!

-TJK

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

What are the characteristics of the "gain" channel... is it a Marshall thing... or a hot-rodded tweed thing... or is it sort of a mix of both PLUS it's own thing... is it articulate and singing? Can it reach at least levels of a JCM800 for gain?

I already know I'll love the clean channel, and from the clip I heard of the gain channel... I think I'll love it too... I just want to know what sort of flavor it has... if it has a lot of harmonic complexity... could there be a better match to the kick ass clean channel it has...

For the entire amp, is there enough versatility to cover modern prog, blues, punk, country, latin rock and jazz?

How does it take to pedals... I'll be using it for studio and gigging:)

I've basically decided to buy the amp based on its features, how it looks on paper and Dave's great rep as a builder. So even if it can't do everything, I know it'll be a good fit... now I just wanna know the extra stuff:)

Thanks Pete, appriciate you offering to help:D

-TJK

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Channel 1 is definitely Twin - like, you can get the crispness of the BF and the graunchiness of the Tweed. Very touch sensitive - caress cleans to snarling bitch, depending on your attack. This is a simply GREAT channel, one of the best I've played and if the amp just had this channel then it would be one of the best amps, period.

Channel 2 is harder to explain and I need to explore it more. Tons of gain available and definitely gets into a kind of Tweed/Marshall territory but also HiWatt with the chime up. Nice note definition even when gainy on full chords, power chords when cranked sound glorious! This is not really a "smooth" jazzy gain - this is raucous. I have never played (or remember) a JCM800!

To be honest I have not tried any pedals with it yet (I only have a few....).

Full complement of tone controls on each channel (and switchable power tubes) means endless variations (my brain said I'd like it more simple but I grew up on JTM45's) this is a classic studio amp but with the power for Stage (any size).

I prefer this amp with Celestion Blues. I think it will like American type speakers best.

Build quality is exemplary (take a look at the machined top straps for example) plus Dave will be there (which means a lot).

Trust this helps.

Best, Pete.

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

I forgot a couple of things:

Footswitchable between Channels (also has switch on front of amp). Footswitch also has boost function for either channel (obviously the one you are using). This "Pre-amp Boost" function is also switchable from the front of the amp.

As usual with recent Maven Peals there is also another switch for the "Power Amp", this one is 3 way, Tight, Loose and Boost. I tend to leave on Loose but the Boost setting is really brilliant!

Best, Pete.

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks Pete, that was exactly what I wanted to hear... I really prefer raunchy distortion to smooth fusion types any day. The power amp boost was definately something I was interested in. I've been looking for a clean that can do a cross between tweed/blackface on the same channel for over a year now. This really sounds perfect to me. Thanks again... you big enabler you;)

-TJK

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ha! Don't blame me if you don't like it!
    It rewards time spent with it......

Btw I have a 12ay7 in v2 instead of a 12ax7 - if you like tons of gain check to make sure yours is a 12ax7.

Best, Pete.