Maven Peal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Jan 27, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Is all the hubbub about these amps true? What do you think is better for low Volume playing...........a high Quality Master Volume Head or one of these Maven Peal 1 watt to 100 deals?

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Depends..........

If you want to hear some power amp distortion then a Maven Peal is a must at reasonable volumes.

I have a Ganesha and it really does more than Maven Peal actually claims for it in that I can get JTM45 sounds out of it relatively easy. Being old and from the land of Marshall I can tell you that it's quite authentic.

It is not an amp for the "bedroom" - there are other amps that do that better. For recording and stage use it is par excellance or sans pareill (?). They are not high gain type amps. If you like the British Blues/Rock sound from '65 to about 72 or say from Beano to AC/DC then you'll like the Ganesha.

I like it through Greenbacks or Blues; Dave Zimmerman likes Governors, I haven't tried those.

I get a nice Cello like tone with Lesters and ES335's and it get's Knopfler like with Strats (I'll never sound like Hendrix but that is just me).

Do a search for my Review of it, I hope to provide a review of the new RG88 in a couple of weeks. Any questions fire away. Btw Dave provides great customer service too.

Best, Pete.

3. Neil

Neil Member

I agree about the customer service comment. I bought my Ganesha used but Dave at MP has given full and rapid support without any prejudice.

As to tones the MP beats MV Marshall amps. I have had a JCM 800 and a Shiva and the Ganesha definately beats them for the type of tones I like. And it goes quiet, too.

Master Volumes on other amps (eg Fuchs) seem to me to work much better (judged by the quality of the tone at low volume vs high volume). I have a Fuchs TDS and it sounds great at almost any volume. Not sure why this is. Maybe these amps do not rely on power amp distortion for their tones?

Cheers
    Neil

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

+1 for MP. I have a Tuskadaro and RG88 S/N 001 with a pair of 6V6's and KT-66HP's in it. Both are keepers! Dave takes great care of his customers! You can buy with complete confidence.

5. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

trisonic

"I have a Ganesha and it really does more than Maven Peal actually claims for it in that I can get JTM45 sounds out of it relatively easy. Being old and from the land of Marshall I can tell you that it's quite authentic."

I've owned a Ganesha and a JTM-45 (Clark) at the same time, played them side by side. The Ganesha can sound sort of JTM-45ish with KT-66's and speakers that compress, but not true JTM-45 tones. Its a different circuit, solid state vs. tube rectified, the attack is harder and more in your face on the Ganesha, theres not as much sag.
    None of these things are a bad thing just different. The Ganesha is a GREAT plexi style amp. The sag and wattage controls let you get power tube distortion at a reasonable volum. Beautiful cleans! The effects loop is what tops things off. You can use it as a second channel, master , or normal effects loop.
    Not knocking the Ganesha. Its a wonderful plexi style amp. Only reason I got rid of mine is I had a back operation and couldn't lift it. But if you are looking for true JTM-45 sounds buy a JTM-45 type amp. A very great sounding, versital plexi type amp, then the Ganesha:dude

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yeah well, it's been ten years since I owned a JTM45 but it's close enough for me (with the KT66) - the secret is the control of the treble switches, the balance of the Treble knob against the Presence and the Sag control (which can compensate for the tube rectifier). More importantly I can get that sound at a more useful volume.

I usually run it as two 50 watt amps with 2 EL34's as alternates - it's very interesting switching between the two. I agree that with the simple addition of a guitar cord linking the loop in/out you gain a Master. I usually have the loop completely out of the circuit - but that's just me!

I also agree with you that the Ganesha "cleans" are extremely underrated, they are beautiful.....

Best, Pete.

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have JTM45 Bluesbreaker with Mullard rectifier tube GZ34 if I remember correctly and the Ganesha gets more sag then my Bluesbreaker when turned full soft.

When the sag knob is turned full hard it gets into Hiwatt territory. Very versatile.

8. dbx

dbx Member

So YOU'RE #1 :D

9. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I have a clark that is modeled after an early Jtm-45 with a Mullard GZ34 and KT-66's and the Ganesha definietly doesn't get more sag, no way. I had them side by side, not close. And I know how to set up the Ganesha for said tone.
    I'm in no way putting the Ganesha down, I love the amp! My point is it doesn't do TRUE JTM-45 tone. Yes it does a sort of JTM-45 tone and it is a Much more versital amp than a 45. It doesn't have the feel on the attack of the note or the sag of a 45.
    Dave modeled the Ganesha after Plexi's not 45's. Call him and ask him, see what the desiginer of the amp says. Very easy man to talk to, and very knowledgeable. Like you say it does that bold in your face articulate HiWatt thing, too. Very good at that.
    I'm rambling, but what I wanted to stess is that the Ganesha can do an impression of a Jtm-45, absolutely nail a Plexi, and sound very HiWatti!!! If you have played those amps, there is no way you can dispute that and I think Dave would aggree, and I'm basing that on conversations with him and playing said amps.

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Wow..........sounds like a heck of an amp! I now know where there are a couple of them and I'm gonna keep my eye on them...........[​IMG]

What kind of bottoms do you play them through? Do you find a lower wattage speaker like greenbacks sound better with it at lower volumes as compared to say 60 watt Vintage 30's?

11. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Speakers are sort of a personal thing. I'm not going to get into reccomending speakers. Still experimenting myself. You can follow some general guide lines, try them and see what you like, look back through previous threads, alot of info here. See I love a certain speaker, someone else hates them, Yaada yaaadaaa back and forth, try em, don't like them, sell em see what You like! You'll never know, or be satisfied unless you do. That's where I'm at personally in my tone quest finding the best sounding speaker, to my ears, with my amp, what ever that amp may be, yours may be different you just have to buy and listen.
    Yes it is a heck of an amp!

12. mainsale

mainsale Member

Yes......., yes I am.:AOK

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Big Hug! We're all right!:YinYang

As I said just now on another thread (I just got back from a Ski Trip - big waste of time unless you love skiing at 70f on granulated ice.......) the Ganesha cleans are better than any Marshall clean I can remember and I really like NMV Marshall cleans! Dare I say it but even Tag would be fond of the cleans......

Old JTM45s (are there any other?) are very varied and that with the different speaker combinations (i.e. did Eric use alnico or ceramic in his 1962 combo - and did he really care?), our ears etc., the Ganesha is very close to what I remember - but and it's a big BUT it does do all the other things we associate with the original "Plexis".

Best, Pete.

14. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Hi Dave!

Well if you changed the circuit that explains it. Like I said before I wasn't putting the amp down, I just never got it to nail JTM-45 tones. I knew you were offering the Warren Haynes midrange mod but never heard of the circuit change on the normal channel. I was useing the Shugahn (sp) KT-66's which I like alot.
    You asked of the Clark, its just a dead on JTM-45. Great amp if thats the tone your looking for.
    Once again the Ganesha's a great amp and Dave gives top notch customer service.