max dissipation for EH 6V6 ??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by hamfist, Jun 3, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm biasing up my Rockerverb 50, but not sure which figure to use for the max power dissipation for EH 6V6's. Standardised figures for 6V6's seem to run from between 12W to 14W, but I understand that each manufacturer quotes figures for their own specific tubes. Unfortunately my computer does not seem to be able to download the specs from the EH website. Does anybody know the figure that EH actually quote for their 6V6 ?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you assume 12 watts you'll never have a problem.

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

I also might be running it a bit cold. I'd happily sacrifice a little longevity and reliability for better tone.

This is my first go at biasing - it all went pretty smoothly really.

I suppose what I really need to do is to set everything up, and fiddle with the bias and just use my ears - Running it as cold as I can, with it still sounding the best it can.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I had installed a pair in a friends silverface Deluxe Reverb running at 24ma@428v and they sounded real nice.They sounded better than the JJ's and Tung Sols in this amp and have been in the amp over two years without a problem.

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

Wow, that's HOT !!!! I assume that you're talking about the the EH 6V6's.

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Yes. The EH 6V6. We tried the Tung Sol and JJ's in this amp and the EH's sounded the best. I have the Tung Sol's in my '65 DR,using a Weber browner,biased at 24ma@400v .I had been using these tubes without the browner at 428v and the same 24ma for about 8 months without a problem.

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

24ma at 400 Vp is still pretty high (80% of 12watts). But I too am finding that I like the EH's best. They always get the bad rap but sound pretty good to me. TS's are brighter and thinner, JJ's on the way.

8. Trout

Trout Member

I have a pair of JJ's running 460V anode, 420 screen, biased at 20ma and they easily handle these voltages.
    Not saying they sound and better or worse than anything else, but if I know that the 6V6's are going into and amp set up at these high parameters I always use the JJ's.

Trout

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

What amp is that? Almost all guitar amps run the screens at virtually the same voltage as the plates.

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

I've gotten some conflicting information and am looking for clarification. Do you get more head room at a lower or higher bias setting. Hypothetical below:

Example A) 21 mA provides more headroom and less crunch

Example B) 24 mA provides more headroom and less crunch

Which is it? Thanks.

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

That's probably not enough of a difference to be noticeable.

Generally, higher is less headroom and more crunch.