Maximum Made-in-Japan BOSS SD-1'age!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vanguard, Nov 30, 2012.

1. vanguard

vanguard Member

So, sort of by chance, I ended up with three japan-made SD-1's in my studio ranging from early 1982-1985. They differ from one another in IC chip and clipping diode arrangement:

1982 has an NEC c4558c IC (as seen in early DM-2's, OD-1's, etc. BOSS seemed to use them where you see JRC4558DD after 1982); and very rare 1S2473 diodes (also seen in early OD-1's and never in tube screamers). Also, different cap construction:
    [​IMG]

1984 has the famous/common JRC4558DD IC, and, again, the rare 1S2473 diodes:
    [​IMG]

1985: has the JRC4558DD chip and, interestingly, the famous TS808 clipping diodes; 1S1588 with the blue stripe (google image. it looks better than my pic):
    [​IMG]

So I know a lot of folks on here adore the SD-1 like I do. Once I got the three in the same room (I'd only tried one previously), I lined them all up for a blind test (difficult to patch pedals together blindly, lol. good thing they are already beat to hell). surprisingly, I was able to identify which was which just based on past experience with JRC4558 tube screamers and people's descriptions of how the 1S1588 diodes sound (smooooth!).

The two 1S2473 pedals sounded almost identical, except the one with the rare c4558c chip was nastier in the attack and generally less smooth and more raw. I don't like one better than the other; the c4558c makes a killer rhythm pedal with its forward attack and hard edge though. . .
    The 1S1588 pedal sounded quite different and I identified it the moment I played a chord through it, though I didn't actually look until several minutes later. As I expected, it sounded very close to an old Ibanez TS808. the JRC4558/1S1588 seem to be a magical recipe for super smooth, warm, pleasant sounding distortion. It still has the SD-1 vibe (lots of even-order harmonics) but the attack is more compressed and the sustain is violin-smooth. Definitely the "lead-player's" SD-1. Slightly less lows and softer mids than the other two; just very TS808-sounding.

Ran the JRC4558/1S2473 for rhythm and the 1S1588 for lead at band practice this afternoon. They sounded great! Stacked was a killer lead tone and harmonic-feedback galore. I've got a big show on Saturday night I'll use this same arrangement at. Now I've got to pick up a current SD-1 with modern silicon diodes to compare :eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    b80 likes this.
  2. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You should send me one! :)

3. vanguard

vanguard Member

lol. i would, but it would just be cruel to split up the family like that.

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Ive got an 81 that just sounds killer! Awesome pedal that is overlooked here on tgp. People are always going after the early 808s and TS9s because of their relations to SRV but you can pick up an early 80s SD1 for $100-$150. Thanks for the awesome review!

5. larimar

larimar Member

6. vanguard

vanguard Member

you bet! if you're patient, you can snag them for $60-80, but you gotta be really patient these days. . .seems the word is finally getting out that these have the same long-obsolete diodes and "vintage" (lol) 4558 chips as the TS808. They have that same "old" sound to them as the early 80's 808's too. and you get BOSS construction and a reliable switch!

i actually snagged the '84 (probably the best all-arounder of the three) for $29 just last week from an online retailer that knew what it was, but sold it at that price because it was missing the knobs and the rubber pad on back. good thing i had plenty of extra BOSS parts from all the pedals i've modded and butchered over the years:jo

7. 5150user

5150user Member

Very good thread. Solid content upgrade for the forum. The TS9, Rat, Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, and Big Muff Conversations would all benefit from pictures and information like this.

You sir get an Attaboy!!!:dude

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  8. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Supporting Member

9. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

10. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Great info, thanks!

I'll be on the lookout for one of those...

11. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I have an early 80's SD-1 that was left behind by a hobo here years ago. I love this pedal! It's beat up, but sounds better than my 83 TS9 and the switch always works. Win!

12. vanguard

vanguard Member

hobo SD-1 FTW:dude:messedup

those of you who have old MIJ SD-1's, post a pic of its innards, or let us know if you have an iteration other than what i posted above!

13. MakJ61

MakJ61 Member

My Early 86 has the same exact circuit version number printed on board, and same JRC4558DD/1S1588 config as your 85.
    I'll post pics later.

I knew it always sounded great, now your cork sniffing confirms that ;)

14. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Cool info, thanks for posting.

15. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

The NEC c4558c SD-1's are my favorite. They can be found under $75 if you look around.

16. zosozep7

Heres my 1981. Not the greatest pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. vanguard

vanguard Member

looks just like mine:dude

same diodes, chip, caps, everything! that pedal is clean! I noticed in another thread you have an OD-1 too? is it the early 14-pin chip or the later 4558 model? how about a compare/contrast of the SD-1 and OD-1 (since the SD-1 was supposed to be an OD-1 with the players' tone knob)?

i wonder if there are schematic differences in the early "A" vs. later "B" marked boards? Anyone know? i haven't looked that hard, but they seem identical (though i don't know the codes for BOSS's cap values).

18. zosozep7

Vanguard, I bought this a few months ago on Ebay for $100. When I cracked it open, it had looked like it was never opened. Its very very clean. This is a nice example of my earlier post on how you can score these on ebay for cheap say compared to a early 80s TS or 808. I also have 4 OD-1 that I love big time! I swear Bill Finnegan modeled his Klon after the OD-1 because they sound similar. They just fatten up your single coils nicely!
    The SD1 with the treble at 3 oclock is one ass kicking sound! It screams and is raunchy! Just the way I like it!

19. vanguard

vanguard Member

four OD-1's! we're afflicted with the same sickness. do any of them have the 14-pin chip, and do you hear an appreciable difference between it and the 4558 version? how does the SD-1 stack up tonally?

20. zosozep7

Im on my way out the door. Ill try and answer you later. I dont have a 14 pin but was thinking of having Analogman mod one of mine for this. Also, I had Arcane Analog build me a OD-1 clone with the 14 pin chip. Look him up here and there is a pic of mine there with the Zeppelin 4 hermit. His lantern has the on light.