Maxon AD-9 Pro or Dunlop Carbon Copy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Apr 23, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Anyone have an opinion on which is the better analog delay? I need a true bypass, line level delay and these are the two I see around but none locally to test drive. I may replace my NOva delay.

Thanks!

Rich

2. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I've had both and the CC is still on my board. I don't know if the AD9 is TB or not. I like the switch on the CC better and it also sounds better. If it matters, it looks better too.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks man! I like the TC Nova delay but I really love just having simple analog pedals where I can just twist the knobs in real time rather than saving patches, etc. The Maxcon AD-9 Pro is expensive, almost $300 new, so the MXR will save me money.

4. jb1911

jb1911 Member

When I wrote in the post above about which one I liked better I had completely forgotten how much I paid for the AD9. Money makes no difference, the CC is better.

5. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

Hmmm... I didn't have the same experience. The CC is a smearier delay, which I liked. However, I preffered the more percussive and defined delay of the AD-9 for other applications. I don't think one is better than the other... each has a place in which it will be superior to the other.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

The delay time is longer in the Carbon Copy too, if that is something you're interested in. I just picked one up after using the original AD9 for a few years (modded by Analogman). Loved it but the CC has 2x the delay time.

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

INteresting, that could be a problem for high gain solos. Maybe I'll stay with my TC Nova delay for a while. It does a lot.

8. thefacelessnate

thefacelessnate Member

I still don't get not having tap... I just don't get it... especially when on most tap delays you can change the tempo using a knob as well. so why not have both worlds? i know some taps are crap... but still... better than nothing. or at least put in the availability to plug in a tap to the pedal.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Having tap is essential...ugh! what to do...

Do either kill punch and dynaimcs?

10. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Wow! I have never once felt any need for tap. I have an AD9Pro and love it! It is TBP, is very quite and sounds great. I use it for rockabilly slapback and it's one of the best for that. I also sometimes use it for longer delays and still good. But of course it's not a DD3 kinda sound.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

I think tap is good because it usually makes everything sound even or helps match to the beat, ya know? How do you get buy with no tap?

12. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

the only TAP tempo ANALOG delay is the memory lane. I tend to use analog delays for "thickness" or oscillations live, so there is no need for tap tempo. in the studio you can spend time dialing the delay in so that its perfect, but live- nova is probably the must useful delay i've seen. i'll be picking one up soon.

I've never owned the AD-9 pro, but I have owned a couple Ad-9s and have played the ad-9pro. honestly, I like the CC's tone better, and the subtle modulation is way more useful than that "dual head" switch.

have you considered the malekko 600? bright or dark option can really help you zone in. and the expression pedal control of repeats makes for fun times. I'm really gassing for one.

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks! Is the Memory Lane, line level???

We play classic rock, hard rock and metal and I prefer really good pedals....but my amp requires line level and IO do like tap tempo. Right now I use the Nova delay in the loop but I worry about tone suck, loss of punch and dynamics. I'll have to play around to see if I notice anything.

Sound like you like TC Electronics - why not just get a NOva System for live use since you like the Nova delay. I know I am tempted.

I prefer analog and less tone suckage, LOL! The CC may be an option.