Maxon AD-900 (two vs. four chip version)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by idphys, Jul 5, 2006.

1. idphys

idphys Member

I'm in the process of purchasing an AD-900. Is there really any tonal/sonic differences between the two chip and four chip version? I know that some people insist that the two-chip version is superior. The Maxon website states that there are no differences. Would love to hear from anyone who has actually played both versions. Thanks.

2. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

From what I understand, there is no difference between the sound of the 2 or 4 chip version since they both use the old Panansonic BBD chips. They are just different values (the 4 chip version has chips that each do half of the delay time). But 4 of the shorter ones sounds the same as two of the longer ones.

Different story with the AD-999 which uses Maxon's "new" BBD chip which I believe is also in the re-issue Ibanez AD-9.

I tried the reissue Ibanez AD-9 and it had distorted repeats. Nothing like a vintage one (which used the old Panansonic chips and whose repeats are clear and clean).

I am not sure what Maxon is currently putting in their new Maxon AD-9's. The website still clains that NOS Panasonic BBD's are in there, but I was pretty sure they were extinct....

:rolleyes:

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    No the Ibanez AD9 reissue does not have the same chips as the Maxon AD999. The Maxon has new BBD chips that they designed and had manufactured for them. I have the Maxon AD9 and yes it does have the Panasonic MN series chips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

original question was about the AD900, not the ad999. The 999 does not sound the same.

The 2 chip AD900 3005 version might sound a LITTLE better than the 4 chip AD900. You can only increase noise and distortion by using multiple smaller chips vs less larger chips. But the difference should not be so big. The Deluxe Memory Man had the same change, now using four MN3008 chips also but people don't seem to hear any difference.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

The AD900 is much better in my opinion than the AD999, the AD999 doesn't seem as warm.

TheGrooveking

PS,

Analogman, I am sending you a few TS9's, a SM9 and a SD9 for modding later this week.

6. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i can hear the difference between them and I prefer the 4 chip ad-900.

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

When I get home tonight I'll plug the AD999 and AD900 again, give them another run through. The dual outputs on the AD999 does have some benefits.

TheGrooveking

8. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I have a Maxon AD-9 too, but it is about 3 years old, released at the same time the AD-900 was, so obviously the old Panasonic MN series BBD's were still around.

I am wondering whether the current Maxon AD-9's use the old Panasonic MN series BBD's since there seems to be no more of them left.

My guess is that they are using their own "new" Maxon BBD's in the current AD-9's as well as the AD-999's...

:confused:

9. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

I just opened up and looked at all of my Maxon delays, the AD900's, my two AD80 and the AD9 are all Panasonic chips. I beleive the newer Maxon AD9's are Panasonic, I remember reading that Maxon paid big bucks for a stock pile of them and at the same time discontinued the AD900 and the AD80, which safed more chips for the AD9. The AD999 has eight chips that have the Maxon logo on them.

I played through them tonight for about an hour and noticed that the AD999 is brighter than the AD900. The AD80 is the darkest sounding. The AD9 is the most metallic sounding of the bunch, then the AD999 is next in that category.

Of all the AD900 is my favorite of the Maxon line.

TheGrooveking

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

the Maxon AD9 is a limited edition pedal and still does use the good Panasonic chips, unlike the much cheaper Ibanez AD9.

11. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Thank you Mike!

I may be sending you my Maxon AD-9 to have the "volume drop" issue rectified... (the Maxon AD-9's wet volume is a "hair" lower than than the true bypassed signal. Mike does a mod to fix it).

:RoCkIn

12. Unadan

Unadan Member

Are you referring to the Maxon AD-9 Pro?